Need a quick dessert idea and have a cake mix handy? This apple cobbler with cake mix is a fantastic option. With just 5 ingredients this cake mix apple cobbler comes together quickly and easily for a simple dessert any night of the week.
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Do you have lots of apples from apple picking or maybe have an apple tree that has given you a bumper crop of apples? Make this simple, delicious cake mix apple cobbler!
This simple, delicious apple dessert is fantastic served over vanilla ice cream. It has all the flavors of fall and makes for a wonderful dessert when you need something simple.
What do I need to make a cake mix apple cobbler?
- Apples – about 6 medium apples or 2 lbs. I used Granny Smith apples, but you could also use Honey Crisp, Jonagold, Winesap, Pink Lady or Braeburn.
- Light Brown Sugar – you could also substitute Swerve Brown Sugar substitute if you’re looking to reduce or eliminate refined sugar from your diet.
- Cinnamon – pumpkin pie spice would also be a complementary spice.
- Yellow Cake Mix – you could also use a white cake mix or a sugar-free, or gluten-free cake mix option as well. You’ll need a 16.25 oz size.
- Butter – 1 stick, melted
For exact ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions be sure to scroll down to the bottom of the post for the recipe. Thanks!
How do I make apple cobbler with cake mix?
- First, start by peeling and slicing apples. For a good tasting apple cobbler, choose an apple that is firm, tart and slightly sweet. I used Granny Smith apples, which are great for baking. You’ll need 2 pounds of apples, which will be about 6 medium apples.
- To the apples, add brown sugar and cinnamon and toss together to coat the apples. Pour the apples into an oval baking dish or 9×9″ pan.
- To make the cake mix crumble, add the yellow cake mix to a bowl, and pour in the melted butter. Mix together with a fork to achieve a crumbly texture.
- Crumble the cake mix topping over the top of the apples. Bake the cobbler at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until the crumble topping is golden brown. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Once this apple cobbler comes out of the oven, let it cool for 10-15 minutes before serving. The apples will be VERY hot. This dessert is fantastic served with vanilla ice cream.
Frequently asked questions about making cake mix apple cobbler:
It is best to refrigerate any leftovers of cake mix apple cobbler. Cobbler can be left out a few hours after baking. It is best to store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Refrigerated cobbler will keep for up to 5 days.
No, it is best to NOT stir a dump cake. For the apple cobbler with cake mix, the topping acts as a crumble and bakes separately from the apples.
A cobbler made with a cake mix typically has fruit on the bottom of the pan and a crumble made from butter and a cake mix on top. A dump cake typically has just a cake mix u0022dumpedu0022 on top of fruit with melted butter poured over the top.
A cobbler typically is made with a crumble topping made of flour, sugar and fat (commonly butter.) A crumble or crisp typically includes oatmeal and/or nuts in the topping. Both desserts are baked with fruit on the bottom.
Apples that are more firm, with a sweet/tart flavor are best for baking. These apples include Winesap, Jonagold, Honeycrisp, Granny Smith, Pink Lady and Braeburn. Apples that are not good for baking are Red Delicious, Fuji, Gala and McIntosh, which are not firm enough to withstand baking.
Inspired to enjoy more apples? Check out some of my favorite apple recipes:
- Healthy Apple Crumble
- Apple Pie Tarts
- Cinnamon Apple Bread
- Apple Cider Cake with Carmel Cream Cheese Frosting
- Baked Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
- Apple Cream Cheese Breakfast Braid
- Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats
- Pumpkin Apple Streusel Muffins
- Healthy Apple Muffins
- Apple Cider Glazed Pork Chops
- Whiskey Apple Cider Cocktail
- Apple Cider Moscow Mule
- Hot Mulled Apple Cider
If you loved this cobbler recipe, check out some of these other similar posts:
Apple Cobbler with Cake Mix
Cake Mix Crumble Topping:
- 1 (16.25 oz. box) yellow cake mix can also use white cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In mixing bowl, add the sliced apples, brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir together to coat the apples well. Pour the coated apples into a 9×9" pan or oval baking dish. Set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the butter. To the melted butter, add the cake mix and stir together using a fork until crumbly. Crumble the cake mix topping over the top of the apples.
- Bake the cobbler for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool 10-15 minutes before serving. Serve warm and top with vanilla ice cream, if desired.