Brown Sugar Balsamic Grilled Chicken + an easy recipe for Balsamic Chicken Marinade
This super simple balsamic grilled chicken will be your new favorite dinner idea! Made with a 5-ingredient balsamic chicken marinade, this balsamic chicken recipe is done and on the table in under 20 minutes!
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Do you and your family enjoy grilled chicken? If you’re anything like our family, chicken is on the table at least once a week, because it’s something everyone enjoys. Not only is it a great healthy option for lunch or dinner, but chicken can often be a blank canvas to be dresses up with just about any sauces, rubs and marinades.
This fantastic Brown Sugar Balsamic Grilled Chicken is one of those amazing chicken recipes, perfect for throwing on the grill any night of the week! The flavors are fantastic, as the balsamic vinegar and brown sugar work together to make a sweet, and slightly tangy flavor to every bite of this juicy grilled chicken.
Not only is this amazing balsamic grilled chicken absolutely delicious, it’s incredibly simple to make. It’s done in a little less than 20 minutes, which means it’s perfect for the busiest of nights. Here’s the easy steps to making the marinade and grilling up a fantastic dinner!
Step 1: Mix together the marinade
This balsamic chicken marinade recipe is not only delicious, it’s made with just 5 ingredients (6 if you decide you want a little salt), and comes together in about 2 minutes.
As you can see from the photo above, I literally just mix this marinade together in a glass measuring cup that I use to measure out the olive oil and vinegar.
From there I add in the brown sugar, garlic and pepper. Whisk together to combine.
Pour out and reserve a few tablespoons of the marinade to brush on the chicken as it grills, and then pour the rest over the chicken.
Step 2: Pour the Balsamic Chicken Marinade Over Chicken and Refrigerate
I like to marinate in a resealable zip bag, as it’s really easy to coat the chicken, however a resealable container or deep dish covered with plastic wrap works well also. I then toss the marinated chicken in the fridge.
How long should I marinate chicken?
You can marinate anywhere from 30 minutes to 24 hours. Many times I’ve marinated chicken in the late morning or early afternoon, for dinner that evening.
The longer the chicken can marinate, the more flavors it will have once cooked. I wouldn’t recommend marinating for more than 24 hours.
Step 3: Grill and Brush with Reserved Marinade
Once you’re ready, heat your grill on medium high heat.
How do I keep chicken from sticking to the grill?
Coat the grill grates with some olive oil, or a little non-stick grilling spray. (Take safety precautions when using the spray. Be sure to turn off the grill, spray, and then turn grill back on.) Remove the chicken from the bag or container, and discard the marinade.
Place the marinated chicken over indirect heat, and let it cook for approximately 6 minutes. Turn the chicken breasts, and then generously brush the chicken with the reserved marinade.
Adding additional brown sugar balsamic marinade is a really great way to add some additional flavor to the chicken as it cooks. Cook another 6 minutes on the second side.
Step 4: Test for Doneness
All grill temperatures vary, and depending on the thickness of the chicken breasts, your cook times may vary. These chicken breasts were on the thicker side, and cooking them over medium-high heat for 6 minutes per side seems to be the sweet spot for my grill.
How do I know when grilled chicken is done?
To test the doneness of chicken you can do a couple things; 1)use a meat thermometer to check internal temperature. I have the ThermaPen ONE Instant Read Digital Thermometer, which works wonderfully for grilling and testing the internal temps of grilled meats.
This is my go-to tool for grilling and roasting! With a Thermapen there’s no guessing if or when the meat is done. The precise temperature will provide you with meat that is perfectly cooked, juicy and delicious EVERY time!
Recommended temperature for chicken needs to be near 165 degrees. You can also determine doneness by cutting through the thickest part of the chicken. If the meat is completely white, no pink remains, and the juices run clear, the chicken will be done.
Enjoy cooking with chicken breasts? Check out some of my other chicken breast recipes:
- Baked Italian Chicken
- Sheet Pan Chicken and Potatoes
- Healthy Cashew Chicken
- Sheet Pan Chicken and Sweet Potatoes
- Crock Pot Mexican Shredded Chicken
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Pollo Asado Recipe
- BBQ Chicken Skewers
Step 5: Serve and Enjoy!
In a little less than 20 minutes, you can have an amazingly simple and delicious meal on the table. I also love this chicken on top of a spinach salad – check out my post for Balsamic Grilled Chicken Salad below.
Here’s your shopping list of all the ingredients you’ll need to make this fantastic balsamic grilled chicken recipe:
- Chicken Breasts, 3-4 breasts or 1 lb.
- Balsamic vinegar
- Good quality olive oil
- Garlic – you’ll need about 2-3 cloves, or you can purchase a jar of pre-minced garlic
- Brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
(For exact ingredient amounts and directions, be sure to scroll down to the recipe.)
Be sure to check out my Google Web Story on how to make Brown Sugar Balsamic Grilled Chicken!
Looking for a delicious salad or side to go with your Balsamic Grilled Chicken recipe? These are all fantastic:
- Blueberry Spring Mix Salad
- Roasted Rainbow Carrots
- Zesty Italian Pasta Salad
- Lemon Orzo Pasta Salad
- Easy Greek Tortellini Salad
- Italian Caprese Tomato Salad
- Classic Macaroni Salad
- Italian Chopped Salad
- Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad
- Garden Vegetable Pasta Salad
- Italian Tortellini Salad
- Strawberry Spinach Salad Recipe
- Watermelon Cucumber Salad
- Deviled Egg Potato Salad
Want an awesome way to enjoy this delicious grilled chicken in a salad? Check out my Balsamic Grilled Chicken Salad!
If you loved this fantastic Balsamic Grilled Chicken, be sure to check out some of my other grilled chicken recipes:
- Grilled Chicken Leg Quarters
- BBQ Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
- Italian Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Caprese Chicken
- Spicy Verde Grilled Chicken
- Barbecue Chicken and Red Grape Skewers
- Grilled Chicken and Plum Skewers
- Grilled BBQ Chicken Legs at Real Housemoms
- Grilled Boneless Chicken Thighs
Here’s the recipe for this fantastic Balsamic Grilled Chicken recipe:
- 1 lb. chicken breasts (about 3-4 medium breasts)
- 1/2 c. balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 c. olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. minced garlic (about 2-3 cloves)
- 1 tsp. ground pepper (several turns of the pepper grinder)
- salt, optional (about 1/2 tsp.)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, brown sugar, minced garlic and pepper. Reserve about 3 Tbsp. of the marinade and set aside.
- Place the chicken breasts into a resealable bag (or resealable container with lid), and pour the remainder of the marinade over the chicken. Coat chicken well and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 24 hours.
- Heat grill to medium-high. Treat grill grates with olive oil, or non-stick grilling spray. (If using spray, be sure to turn OFF the grill, spray, and then turn back on.) Place chicken over indirect heat, and grill approximately 6 minutes (per side.) Once you turn the chicken, brush with the reserved balsamic marinade, and let it cook for its final 6 minutes.
- Remove chicken from grill, transfer to serving plate, and enjoy right away.
Be sure to check the chicken for doneness by either testing with a meat thermometer, insuring it has reached an internal temperature of 160 degrees. You can also cut into the chicken - the meat is done when it is all white (no pink) and the juices run clear.
You can also use other types of chicken pieces besides breasts - legs, thighs, and even wings are great with this marinade.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 4 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 11Total Fat: 1gSodium: 291mg