The EASIEST Overnight Oats with Greek Yogurt!
One of the easiest overnight oats with yogurt recipes! This Cherry Almond Overnight Oats with Greek Yogurt is made with simple, clean ingredients making it a fantastic healthy breakfast. Loaded with protein and fiber, this overnight oatmeal will keep you full well through lunch!
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Overnight Oats with Yogurt: The Perfect Make-Ahead Healthy Breakfast
Anytime I’m looking to meal prep breakfast or have some quick on-the-go breakfast recipes in the fridge, overnight oats are always at the top of my list. Some of my favorites are my Blueberry Overnight Oats and Almond Joy Overnight Oats, this cherry version is quickly become a new favorite.
The best part of making overnight oats is the fact that they just take 5 minutes to stir together before going to bed. Once you wake up in the morning, you’ve got a healthy, protein-packed breakfast ready to go!
Like this recipe? Be sure to pin it to your BREAKFAST board!
Follow DelightfulEMade on Pinterest!
Here’s some helpful tips to making these Cherry Overnight Oats with Yogurt:
The ingredients you’ll need for Cherry Overnight Oats with Greek Yogurt:
For the full recipe with exact ingredients and directions be sure to refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Old Fashioned Rolled Oats, NOT instant oats
- Plain Greek yogurt, I prefer full-fat Greek Yogurt, like Fage 5%
- Milk – diary or plant-based milk
- Chia Seeds
- Honey – you can also use granular Keto-friendly sweeteners, like Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener with Erythritol, Swerve Erythritol Granular Sweetener, or Monkfruit in the Raw.
- Vanilla Extract
- Fresh cherries, pitted and sliced in half
What kind of oats do you use for overnight oats?
The best oats for making overnight oats is old-fashioned rolled oats. These will provide the best texture and hold up well in the liquid.
You can also use steel-cut oats, but keep in mind the oats will be more chewy. They will also benenfit for a little extra liquid (2-3 Tbsp more milk) and a few extra hours in the refrigerator. I do NOT recommend instant oatmeal, as the oats consistency will quickly turn to mush.
What type of yogurt should I use for overnight oats with yogurt?
I recommend plain Greek yogurt when making overnight oats with yogurt. It does not have added sugar or sweeteners, and the thick consistency is great for overnight oats. It also has a good amount of protein, making it a healthy choice for breakfast.
I do not recommend fruity-yogurt, as these have quite a bit of added, refined sugar.
Love recipes using yogurt? Check out my recipe for Chocolate Protein Pudding, that uses Greek yogurt.
How to Mix together Cherry Overnight Oats with Greek Yogurt
There are very few steps to making overnight oats. You’ll start by combining the wet ingredients; yogurt, milk, vanilla and honey. Stir together until smooth. Then add the oatmeal, chia seeds and salt. Stir together well. Lastly, add the cherries.
To make pitting cherries easy, I got this OXO Cherry Pitter a while back. Not only is it a huge time saver, but you can also use it for olives!
If you are adding sliced almonds to your cherry overnight oats, I would recommend stirring it in until just before you eat it. The almonds will stay crunchy when adding to your oats as a topping.
What is the ratio for overnight oats?
The ratio to making overnight oats is equal parts of the following: 1 part plain Greek yogurt: 1 part Old Fashioned rolled oats: 1 part Milk.
Can you eat raw oats with yogurt?
Yes, you can eat raw oats with yogurt. The oats do not have to be cooked, and can be consumed raw.
Can you heat overnight oats with yogurt?
Yes, overnight oats can be heated. If you would prefer overnight oats hot, instead of cold, simply heat in the microwave on :30 second increments, stirring each time. It will take approximately 60-90 seconds to heat thoroughly.
Can you leave overnight oats at room temperature?
No, you cannot leave overnight oats at room temperature. Because overnight oats contain yogurt and milk, they need to be kept refrigerated after mixing.
Do overnight oats have to be refrigerated?
Yes, because overnight oats contain yogurt and milk, they need to be refrigerated.
What can I top overnight oats with Greek yogurt with?
The possibilities are endless when topping your overnight oats. I recommend additional fresh cherries, sliced almonds, a drizzle of almond butter, granola clusters, additional chia seeds and a sprinkle of oats are all great options.
If you loved this healthy make-ahead breakfast recipe, check out some of my other similar recipes:
- Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- Strawberry Shortcake Overnight Oats
- Healthy Breakfast Sandwiches
- Blueberry Overnight Oats
- Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding
- Almond Joy Overnight Oats
- Ham and Veggie Baked Egg Cups
- Blueberry Baked Oatmeal
- Cherry Almond Breakfast Cookies at Real Housemoms
- Pumpkin Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oats
- Peanut Butter Banana Baked Oatmeal
- Almond Joy Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
Love fresh cherries? Here’s a few of my favorite cherry recipe:
- Cherry Almond Scones
- Cherry Milkshake
- Healthy Broccoli Salad with Apples and Cherries
- Cherry Almond Crumble Tart
- Cherry Crisp
- Cherry Jello Pretzel Salad
Here’s the recipe for my Cherry Overnight Oats with Greek Yogurt:
- 1/2 c. Old Fashioned rolled oats (NOT quick-cooking)
- 1/2 c. plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 c. milk (dairy or plant-based)
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 c. fresh cherries, pitted and halved (can also use frozen cherries)
- Optional: 1 Tbsp. sliced or chopped almonds
- In a pint-sized mason jar or any resealable container, add the yogurt, milk, vanilla and honey. Stir together well. Add the oatmeal, chia seeds and salt. Mix together until combined.
- Stir in the halved cherries until just combined.
- Place a lid on the container and refrigerate overnight or at least 6 hours.
- Once ready to eat, top with almonds (if desired) and additional fresh cherries. Will keep refrigerated for up to 5 days.
Refrigeration time is 6 hours or overnight. This will keep refrigerated for up to 5 days.
Sweetener substitutes: maple syrup, or any other granular sweeteners, like monk fruit extract, Swerve or Lakanto brand sweeteners.
If fresh cherries are out of season, feel free to use frozen cherries. I would NOT recommend maraschino cherries or cherry pie filling, as these have loads of sugar, high fructose corn syrup and artificial coloring.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 399Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 56mgCarbohydrates: 71gSugar: 36gProtein: 10g