Is it cold outside where you are? Here in Northern, VA its been pretty cold (at least, for these parts), for a couple weeks now. Winter doesn’t officially start until next week, however, I’m thinking its pretty much here. Anytime there is a nip in the air, I’m in the mood for soup, stew, chili – basically, a hot meal you eat out of a bowl. Also, something that goes with a nice, crusty, cheesy piece of bread to sop up all the broth is even better!
My mom makes an AMAZING pot of broccoli cheese soup. This recipe is an adaptation of hers – Its so good that the church had asked her to make it for their annual soup supper for many years. She would make a HUGE, roaster sized batch of this soup, and it would usually be gone by the end of the night. People love it because its, creamy, hearty, and warms the soul after a long day. It truly doesn’t get much better than that!
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (32 oz.) carton of chicken broth or stock
- 2 c. broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 c. flour
- 3 c. milk
- 2 c. cooked chicken (rotisserie chicken works well)
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 10 oz. processed cheese, cubed (like velveta)
- Heat large stockpot or dutch oven on medium high heat. Add olive oil to heat. Add the onion and garlic. Sautee for a couple minutes until onions are translucent. Add the broth and broccoli. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a large measuring cup, add the flour to the milk and whisk together until well blended. Add milk mixture and chicken to the broccoli mixture. Cook for 5 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring frequently. Add salt and pepper. Remove from heat, and add the cheese. Stir occasionally until the cheese melts.
- Place 1/3 of the soup into a blender, and process until smooth. Pour back into the soup to give it a creamier texture.
On these cold, winter nights I hope you’re able to settle in, and relax with a nice bowl of this delicious soup. It really does warm the heart and soul.