Made with the help of a cake mix and a few other ingredients, these Double Chocolate M&M Bars are fantastic! Loads of milk chocolate M&M’s candies and semi-sweet chocolate chips are in the center of these cookie bars, sandwiched between the cake mix batter.
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Have you ever made something other than a cake from a cake mix? Yep, not only is it possible, but you can make lots of things other than a cake from a cake mix – my Red Velvet Peppermint Kiss Cookies, my Chocolate Chip Cake Mix Cookies and Double Chocolate Turtle Bars are the perfect examples!
I’ve got a super-delicious, chocolate loaded cookie bar recipe that is just 5 ingredients including the cake mix!!! How awesome is that?!
This recipe is actually a simple adaptation from my Double Chocolate Turtle Bar recipe that also uses a chocolate cake mix for the bottom and top crust. The crust batter is very simple – it’s made of the chocolate cake mix, melted butter and milk.
You mix it together, and spread half of the batter into the bottom of a 9×13″ pan, then bake.
Once the bottom crust is baked, you’ll then layer on semi-sweet chocolate chips, and lots of yummy milk chocolate M&M candies while the bottom crust is still warm.
Once the chocolate chips and M&M’s are layered on top of the bottom crust, you’ll then add dollops or spoonfuls of the remainder of the crust/cake mix batter on top. You’ll then bake these for an additional 15 minutes to cook the top crust.
Once done and cooled, these bars are amazing! Cross between a brownie and a cookie, these bars are tender, chewy and loaded with chocolate deliciousness.
Cut into squares, you’ll discover the middle of these bars is an amazing layer of chocolate chips and colorful M&M’s. They’re perfect for enjoying with a big glass of milk or a latte.
Love cookie bars? Check out some of my other cookie bar and brownie recipes:
- M&M Cookie Bars
- German Chocolate Brownies
- Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies
- Funfetti Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars
- Red White and Blue Sugar Cookie Cake
- Copycat Cranberry Bliss Bars
- Stars and Stripes Sugar Cookie Bars
- Peanut Butter Protein Bars
- No Bake Granola Bars
- Chocolate Caramel Pretzel Bars
I’ve cooled, cut and wrapped these bars, and froze to take out for special lunch box surprises, a fun baseball game snack or even a road trip treat! But let’s face it, you really don’t need an excuse or an occasion to make these super-simple bars. Make them anytime you’re in the mood for a chocolate fix.
Here’s the easy, 5-ingredient recipe for these Double Chocolate M&M Bars:
- 1 (15.25 oz.) chocolate cake mix
- 3/4 c. melted butter
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1 (10 oz.) pkg, semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 c. M&M milk chocolate candies (plain M&M's)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9 x 13" pan with non-stick baking spray. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the cake mix, melted butter and milk. Mix until completely combined. Spread 1/2 of the batter into an even layer on the bottom of the prepared pan. Make sure to reserve the remainder of the batter. Bake the bottom crust for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove from oven. While bottom crust is still warm, evenly sprinkle on the chocolate chips and then the M&M's. Using a teaspoon, evenly spoon small dollops of the reserved batter over the M&M layer. Bake again for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before cutting into squares. Store any leftovers in an airtight container.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 225Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 173mgCarbohydrates: 12gSugar: 12gProtein: 8g
Perfect for making with your kids or grand kids, this recipe will be a new favorite with everyone in the family! Enjoy! ~Erin