One of the most flavorful, delicious ways to prepare Roasted Butternut Squash! Roasted with apples, bacon, pecans and shallots, this savory and slightly sweet side-dish is easy enough for a weeknight meal, and fancy enough to accompany your Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner!
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Roasted Butternut Squash Medley with Apples Bacon & Pecans
Have you had roasted butternut squash recently? As soon as fall rolls around, this delicious and flavorful squash begins to appear in the grocery stores and farmers markets. It is a fantastic golden vegetable that pairs perfectly with beef, pork and poultry, but especially turkey!
That’s right – when roasted with a few other sweet and savory ingredients, this butternut squash becomes an amazing side dish that will be a showstopper on your holiday table.
Flavors of roasted butternut squash
Butternut squash is naturally sweet, and when roasted becomes slightly caramelized. To compliment this sweetness, I’ve included honey crisp apple, savory bacon, shallots and pecans to add a nutty crunch.
I also glazed this medley with a bit of apple cider and brown sugar to bring out the sweetness and bring together all of the ingredients. Added to a baking sheet and topped with just a bit of seasoning, this combination is roasted to perfection.
Just before serving, top with a bit of chopped parsley and you’ll have the most amazing side dish! This roasted butternut squash makes the perfect Thanksgiving side dish, complimenting your holiday turkey, stuffing and potatoes.
It will also add some much needed color and texture to an otherwise beige and bland flavor palate. This sweet and savory side will also be a fantastic addition to your Christmas beef tenderloin, lamb roast or prime rib!
This Roasted Butternut Squash is easy enough for a weeknight dinner!
Don’t feel like can only pull this recipe out for the holidays. I particularly love it for a simple weeknight side dish, paired with a store-bough rotisserie chicken. It would even be amazing with meatloaf, and pork chops.
If you loved this delicious Roasted Butternut Squash, check out some of our other delicious salads and sides:
- Roasted Rainbow Carrots
- Sauteed Carrots
- Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
- Parmesan Mashed Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole
- Roasted Carrot Salad with Apples and Pistachios
- Ruth’s Chris Copycat Sweet Potato Casserole
- Cranberry Citrus Salad with Goat Cheese & Pecans
- Garlic & Herb Roasted Red Potatoes
Here’s the simple, easy and incredibly delicious for this Roasted Butternut Squash Medley:
- 11/2 - 2 lb (1 medium squash) peeled and cubed into small pieces
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 2 small shallots, chopped
- 1/2 c. pecans, roughly chopped
- 3 slices, thick-cut bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 c. apple cider (or apple juice)
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 2 Tbsp. fresh, chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray a large baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the cubed squash, apple, shallots, pecans, and bacon. Toss together. In a small bowl or measuring cup, stir together the apple cider and brown sugar until the sugar dissolves. Pour over the squash mixture and stir to coat.
- Pour the squash mixture on to the prepared baking sheet and evenly disperse. Season with the salt, pepper and chili powder. Bake for 23-25 minutes or until the squash is fork-tender.
- Remove from oven and top with the chopped parsley. Serve right away.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 514Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 3gSodium: 1195mgCarbohydrates: 43gSugar: 35gProtein: 5g
I hope this side dish is a great addition and hopefully a new-found favorite for all of your holiday meals! Seasons best to you and your family! ~Erin