The classic Turtle candy, made into a glorious poke cake! Devils food cake is drizzled with hot fudge, layered with thick chocolate frosting and then topped with pecans, chocolate and caramel for the most amazing cake!
Chocolate cake is pretty good by itself. Add some hot fudge, along with a really rich, decadent frosting, and then top it off with pecans, caramel sauce and chocolate chips?! Well, you’re in for one amazing dessert! My Turtle Poke cake is out-of-this-world amazing and will tame even the most fierce sweet tooth!
I start with a simple boxed Devil’s Food cake mix. As soon as it comes out of the oven while the cake is still hot, I then poke holes in it with the back of a wooden spoon. Working quickly, I then pour over hot fudge sauce to the still-hot cake. I use the same process with my Coconut Cream Poke Cake and my Pumpkin Caramel Cream Cheese Poke Cake. Drizzling the hot fudge over the hot cake always renders a wonderfully moist cake.
Once the cake has cooled, I then top off the cake with a fantastic chocolate cream cheese frosting, and then add chopped pecans, caramel sauce and mini- chocolate chips. This fantastic combination brings together all of the amazing flavors that you’ll find in the classic Turtle candies!
As soon as you lift out a slice of this amazing cake, you’ll see where the hot fudge has worked its way into the cake, through the holes. Along with keeping the cake moist, it really adds a fantastic chocolate richness to the cake.
This cake is such a wonderful treat, especially for anyone that loves the combination of chocolate and caramel! The pecans also add a fantastic texture and crunch to the cake – perfect in every bite!
Here’s the recipe for this fantastic Turtle Poke Cake:
- 1 Devil's Food Cake, boxed cake mix (prepared according to package directions for 9x13 pan)
- 2/3 c. hot fudge ice cream topping
- 1 (8 oz) package, cream cheese
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1 1/2 c. whipped topping
- 8 oz. 60% baking chocolate, melted
- 2/3 c. chopped pecans
- 2/3 c. mini chocolate chips
- 2/3 c. caramel ice cream topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13" pan with non-stick baking spray. Set aside.
- With a hand or stand mixer, prepare the Devil's Food Cake according to package directions, using the 9x13" instructions and baking time.
- Once the cake comes out of the oven, poke holes into the cake using the back of a wooden spoon. While the cake is still hot, pour the hot fudge into the holes of the cake. Let cake cool.
- While cake is cooling, prepare the frosting. Cream together the cream cheese, powdered sugar and milk. Add in the whipped topping. Melt the chocolate and let cool slighly. Pour in the melted chocolate. Frosting will become thick. Spread the frosting over the cooled cake. Top with the chopped pecans, chocolate chips and caramel sauce. Slice and enjoy!
I hope this cake satisfies your most fierce sweet tooth! Enjoy! ~Erin