Looking for a hot, creamy Baileys hot chocolate recipe? This simple, delicious Baileys and hot chocolate has just 6 ingredients and couldn’t be easier to make. Forget the store-bought mix! Once you make this Irish hot chocolate, you’ll never go back.
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
If you’re craving a spiked hot chocolate, then this Irish hot chocolate recipe is for you. Made with 6 simple ingredients that you likely already have in your fridge and pantry, this homemade hot cocoa is made in about 10 minutes.
Forget the store-bought mixes, this homemade cocoa is amazing for a cold night when you want to snuggle up with a blanket and watch movies by the fireplace.
What do I need to make Baileys hot chocolate?
You’ll only need a handful of ingredients to make homemade hot chocolate with Baileys. Here’s a check list of the ingredients you’ll need:
- Whole Milk – making hot chocolate with whole milk is ideal, as it will render the creamiest hot chocolate. You can also use 2%, skim or your preferred plant-based milk.
- Semi-Sweet chocolate chips – you could also use milk or dark chocolate.
- Sugar – if you want to cut down on the sugar content, you could use a granular monk fruit sweetener, like Whole Earth or Lakanto.
- Salt – salt is a crucial ingredient in this recipe, and brings out the flavor of the chocolate. Don’t leave this out!
- Vanilla extract – vanilla is also really helpful in adding to the flavor of the hot chocolate.
- Baileys Irish Cream – Baileys adds a wonderful creaminess to the cocoa along with a boozy kick!
For exact ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions be sure to scroll down to the bottom of the post to the recipe card. Thanks!
How do I make hot chocolate with Baileys?
Start by adding the milk, chocolate, sugar and salt to a sauce pan. Begin heating over medium-low heat. Whisk together the ingredients to help the sugar dissolve into the milk.
The chocolate will begin to melt. Continue to whisk until the mixture comes to a low simmer, then remove from heat. Add in the vanilla and stir.
Ladle into mugs and add 1-2 oz. of Baileys. Top with your favorite hot chocolate toppings, like marshmallows, whipped cream, chocolate shavings or chocolate chips.
Note: It’s important to keep the heat no higher than medium low. Additionally, don’t let the hot chocolate boil, as it will likely scald (burn) the milk to the bottom of the pan.
What can I top my Irish hot chocolate with?
This delicious homemade hot chocolate is perfect topped with your favorite hot chocolate toppings. Here are some of our favorites:
- Whipped Cream
- Homemade Cool Whip Recipe – fantastic on any hot chocolate, or dessert cocktail!
- Marshmallows – try these Homemade Marshmallows by Foodie with Family
- Marshmallow fluff
- Chocolate shavings – use a vegetable peeler to shave off part of a chocolate bar.
- Chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- Caramel Sauce
- Chocolate Sauce
FAQ’s about making spiked hot chocolate:
No, Baileys will not curdle when added to hot chocolate. Baileys can be safely added to any hot beverage.
No. Baileys Irish cream does not need to be refrigerated. According to the manufacturer, Bailey’s can be stored, opened or unopened at room temperature for up to two years.
Baileys can be added to hot chocolate at the very end. It is best to not heat the hot chocolate with the Baileys added, as this will burn off the alcohol. For best results, add the Baileys after you heat the hot chocolate, stirring in just before serving.
If you loved this delicious hot chocolate recipe, check out our other cocktails and hot chocolates:
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 Tbsp. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar (or granular monk fruit sweetener)
- Pinch/grind of salt
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 oz. Baileys Irish Cream liqueur
- To a sauce pan, add the milk, chocolate chips, sugar and salt. Heat over medium-low heat. Using a whisk, stir often to help the sugar dissolve.
- Continue whisking until the chocolate melts completely and the mixture comes to a low simmer. Note: DO NOT let it rapidly boil, as the milk and chocolate will burn to the bottom of the pan. Once the liquid comes to a low simmer, promptly remove from heat. Add the vanilla and stir to combine.
- To a mug, add the Baileys, then ladle or pour the hot chocolate into the mug. Stir to combine. Top with your favorite hot chocolate toppings, like my homemade Cool Whip. Enjoy right away while hot.
Milk options: this hot chocolate recipe will work with any milk of your choice, dairy or plant-based, however, whole milk will give you the creamiest hot chocolate. As noted in the recipe, be sure to not let the mixture come to a rapid boil, as the milk will burn.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Sweese Double Walled Glass Coffee Mugs - 12.5 oz Insulated Espresso Cups Set of 2, Perfect for Cappuccino, Latte, Americano, Tea Bag, Beverage (413.101)
All Natural Pure Vanilla Extract 8oz - vnlla Extract Co. - Sustainably Sourced from Madagascar | No Artificial Flavors, Colors or Added Sugar | Perfect for Baking Cake, Cookies, And Bread.
GHIRARDELLI Semi-Sweet Chocolate Premium Baking Chips, Chocolate Chips for Holiday Baking, 24 Oz Bag
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 464Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 244mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 2gSugar: 54gProtein: 9g