How to Make a Skinny Margarita – the most amazing Skinny Margarita recipe!
Enjoy your favorite cocktail without all of the guilt! This simple Skinny Margarita recipe is an amazing way to imbibe without all of the calories and sugar. Fresh, easy and completely delicious!
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Your new favorite way to make a Skinny Margarita!
Have you ever been to a bar or restaurant, ordered a margarita and got an ultra-sweet, syrup-y drink? This has happened to me on more than one occasion and because of it, turned me off of margaritas for quite a long time.
Then, one glorious day, my husband decided to make a skinny margarita at home. It’s was like an entirely different drink! No heavy, sugary mix – just fresh lime juice, tequila, Cointreau, and in this case, agave nectar – making the drink low in calories and sugar.
This delicious skinny margarita recipe is wonderfully fresh, simple and depending on how much tequila you prefer, has a nice kick to it.
Here’s how to make a skinny margarita
Step 1: Juice your limes
Fresh squeezed lime juice is a key ingredient to this, and any other margarita. I do not recommend buying bottled lime juice, as it is just not the same.
You’ll likely need 1-2 limes per drink, so when buying your limes at the grocery store, get several. My recipe calls for 1 oz. of lime juice per drink. You may also want lime slices in your drink and/or for a garnish.
I also use fresh squeezed lime juice in my Blueberry Mojito recipe, which makes a big difference in flavor!
What are the ingredients I need to make a skinny margarita?
- Several limes (estimate 1-2 limes per cocktail) for lime juice
- Agave nectar – (Optional Ingredient) If you are watching your sugar intake or want to reduced the calories in this drink even further, omit the agave. Agave nectar can be found in the baking aisle, near the sugar at your grocery store. It is a natural sweetener, and is perfect in a margarita. You’ll also likely find it in your health food section.
- Tequila – get the best quality tequila you can afford. I like Herradura – both gold and silver. If you love a great tequila cocktail, check out my recipe for a Strawberry Tequila Sunrise over at Real Housemoms.
- Cointreau – this is a French citrus liqueur which is important in balancing out the citrus flavors in any margarita.
(For exact amounts be sure to reference the recipe below.)
Step 2: Prep your Glasses
Before mixing your skinny margaritas, I recommend prepping your glasses. The standard glass for a margarita is a curved, up-style glass like what I used for my Pineapple Margaritas. An up-style glass is more traditional for a blended drink.
However, feel free to use a rocks glass (like I did in these photos), as this is a more traditional vessel when enjoying a margarita on the rocks.
How do I salt rim a glass for a margarita?
To prep the glasses, run a lime wedge around the rims of the glasses. Dip the glasses into kosher or margarita salt. Lastly, fill the glasses with crushed or cubed ice. Add some lime slices to the glasses, if you prefer.
I’m using Jose Cuervo Margarita Salt for these margaritas. It comes in a convenient round, flat container that makes it useful for rimming the edges of your margarita glasses.
Specialized margarita salt is not required to salt the rim of a glass. Any kosher salt will work well.
How do I mix a margarita on the rocks?
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. If you don’t have a cocktail shaker, feel free to use a mason jar with a tight fitting lid.
- To the ice, add the tequila, lime juice, Cointreau, and the optional agave nectar. Agave nectar is a great natural sweetener and perfect substitute for simple syrup that is in a typical margarita. You’ll still get a sweet, but not overly syrup-y cocktail when using the agave nectar.
- Once you have the cocktail ingredients in the shaker, secure the lid tightly and shake vigorously. Immediately pour the margarita into the prepared glasses and enjoy right away while cold.
Can I make this a Frozen or Blended Margarita?
Yes, definitely! For a blended skinny margarita, simply add ice to a blender – approximately 1 heaping cup per drink.
Add in the tequila, lime juice, Cointreau, and agave nectar, and blend until the ice is smooth. Pour into prepared glasses.
What are the tools I need to make a Skinny Margarita?
Here are a few tools I have in making a this skinny margarita recipe, as well as many of my other cocktails. (Amazon Affiliate Links below)
- Expert Cocktail Shaker Home Bar Set – a good, stainless-steel bar shaker and the accessories to go along with it are an essential in any home bar. We use our cocktail shaker just about every weekend, and can be used for a multitude of cocktails!
- This Bellemain Premium Quality Stainless Steel Lemon Squeezer with Silicone Handles has withstood the test of time. We have broke about three different citrus juicers, and THIS one is really durable and has withstood numerous lemons and limes. We love it, and use it all the time!
If you loved this delicious Skinny Margarita recipe, here’s some of my other cocktail recipes:
- Mango Mojito
- Peach Margarita
- Blackberry Margarita
- Watermelon Margarita Recipe
- Skinny Malibu Pina Coladas
- Mango Margarita
- Pineapple Margaritas
- Coconut Margaritas
- Strawberry Lime Margaritas
- Baileys Espresso Martini
- Watermelon Coconut Rum Punch
- Frozen Raspberry Peach Bellini
- Strawberry Lemoncello Spritzers
How to Make a Skinny Margarita
Enjoy your favorite cocktail without all of the guilt! This simple Skinny Margarita is an amazing way to imbibe without all of the calories and sugar. Fresh, easy and completely delicious!
- 2 oz. Tequila, good quality
- 1 oz. lime juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 oz. Cointreau
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add the tequila, lime juice, Cointreau, and agave nectar. Secure lid tightly on shaker. Shake vigorously.
- Run a lime wedge around the rim of a glass, and dip into kosher salt. Fill glass with ice. Pour margarita into glass and enjoy right away while cold.
For a Frozen, blended margarita: Add 6-8 ice cubes (per drink) into blender. Add tequila, lime juice, Cointreau, and agave nectar. Blend until ice is completely smooth. Pour into prepared glass.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Deco Unbreakable Stemmed Margarita Glasses, 12oz- 100% Tritan- Shatterproof, Reusable, Dishwasher Safe Drink Glassware (Set of 4)- Indoor Outdoor Drinkware- Great Holiday, Housewarming & Wedding Gift
Bellemain Citrus Juicer | Metal Lemon Juicer, Lime and Lemon Squeezer Stainless Steel with Silicone Handles | Manual Juicer, Citrus Squeezer, Hand Held Juicer | Bar Juicer for Bartender Accessories
FineDine 14-Piece Cocktail Shaker Set Bartender Kit - Boston Shaker w/ Strainer, Bar Jigger, Bar Spoon & More - Full Stainless Steel Cocktail Set w/ Bar Tools - Drink Mixer Bar Set - Bar Accessories
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 196Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 2mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 0gSugar: 8gProtein: 0g
Speak Your Mind