Pumpkin Mug Cake with Chocolate Chips
Looking for a quick and healthy mug cake recipe that you can make in the microwave? Look no further, this Pumpkin Mug Cake with Chocolate Chips will be your new favorite guilt-free snack! No oil, no eggs, and no refined sugar, this treat is a pumpkin chocolate dream!
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The ultimate Healthy Mug Cake Recipe!
If you love a great pumpkin dessert like my pumpkin caramel poke cake, but want something healthier, then this Pumpkin Mug Cake with Chocolate Chips is the way to go. Very similar to my pumpkin protein muffins, this healthy mug cake recipe features the yummy flavors of pumpkin spice and chocolate chips all in one warm, gooey treat!
Like this recipe? Be sure to pin it to your HEALTHY SNACK board!
Follow DelightfulEMade on Pinterest!
Here’s a few tips and tricks on how to make this healthy mug cake recipe
What is a mug cake?
A mug cake is a single-serving cake that is stirred together in a coffee mug or ramekin (small dish) and microwaved instead of baked. They can be made in a variety of flavors and include many ingredients.
The ingredients you’ll need for this Pumpkin Mug Cake with Chocolate Chips are:
- Pumpkin Puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- Oat flour (made by simply processing oatmeal in a blender or food processor)
- No-sugar-added apple sauce
- Nut butter (I used cashew butter, but you can also use peanut, almond or pecan butter. Make sure that your nut butter is good quality and not made with any additional oils or added sugars or syrups.)
- Granular sweetener (I like and prefer either Whole Earth Stevia & Monk Fruit Sweetener or Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- No Sugar Added Chocolate Chips – below are the two brands I prefer
(For exact ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions, be sure to scroll down to the bottom of this post for the full recipe.)
Are you shopping for ingredients at Target? While you’re there, pick up some of my 30 Best Healthy Target Snacks for some quick and easy healthy snack options.
What should I use for sugar-free or no-sugar-added chocolate chips?
There are a couple brands that I enjoy: Lily’s Dark Chocolate Baking Chips and Lakanto Sugar Free Chocolate Chips. Both taste great, melt well and are great options to other chocolate chips that have an excess of processed, refined sugar.
Why are mug cakes so popular right now?
Mug cakes are popular because they are very quick and easy to make using a microwave. Most mug cake recipes, like this one, are a single serving, so you have proper portion control with your treat. You also don’t have to make an entire cake wait for it to bake in the oven, and then have a big cake sitting around for days to tempt you over and over again.
Also, this pumpkin mug cake is a healthy alternative to those sugar-heavy, overly processed, expensive store-bought cakes. It’s a great way to enjoy a treat made with simple, clean ingredients.
How do you make a mug cake from scratch?
You make a mug cake from scratch by adding all of the ingredients to a microwave-safe coffee mug or ramekin. For this healthy mug cake recipe you’ll need pumpkin, apple sauce, oat flour, cashew butter, granular sweetener, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and sugar-free chocolate chips.
Stir all ingredients together until well combined. Microwave on high for 55-65 seconds, or until top of cake is firm, but still slightly glossy. Chocolate chips will be melted. Enjoy right away while warm.
Are mug cakes safe to eat?
Yes, mug cakes are safe to eat. Enjoy your mug cake as soon as it comes out of the microwave. Mug cakes are more of an “on-demand” snack or treat, and not meant to be enjoyed in advance.
When should I add the chocolate chips to the pumpkin mug cake?
You can do this two ways: add the full 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips stirred into the batter, or stir in half (1 Tbsp.) of the chocolate chips into the batter, and then sprinkle the second tablespoon on top of the mixed cake batter. I like the second method, as the melted chocolate chips on top of the mug cake melt perfectly and look wonderful!
How do you make mug cake better?
It’s fair to say that mug cake isn’t that pretty to look at, but they taste pretty darn delicious. To make sure your healthy mug cake recipe tastes good, do the following:
- Make sure your batter is well mixed and not lumpy.
- Smooth out the batter evenly in the mug or bowl. This will ensure the cake cooks evenly in the microwave.
- Measure all of the ingredients precisely with measuring spoons and cups, and level off. Having an over-abundance of one ingredient or not enough of the other could render the cake texture or taste unappealing.
If you loved this healthy snack recipe, check out some of my other similar recipes:
- Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Cold Brew
- Cranberry No Bake Energy Bites
- No Bake Granola Bars
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Protein Muffins
- Healthy Pumpkin Pancakes – also made with oat flour!
- Healthy Black Bean Brownies – super fudgy and uber delicious!!
- Fudge Brownie Protein Bites
- Peanut Butter Banana Muffins – also no oil, no flour and refined sugar free!
- My Pumpkin Mousse Dip over at Real Housemoms
Here’s the recipe for the Pumpkin Mug Cake
- 2 Tbsp. pumpkin puree
- 2 Tbsp. apple sauce (look for no-sugar added, if possible)
- 2 Tbsp. oat flour
- 1 Tbsp. cashew butter (you can use any good quality nut butter)
- 1 tsp. granular monkfruit sweetener, like Lakanto
- 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. chocolate chips (no sugar added or sugar free, if possible)
- In a microwave-safe mug or ramekin, stir together the pumpkin, apple sauce, oat flour, cashew butter, monkfruit sweetener, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and 1 tbsp. of chocolate chips. Stir together well ensuring all ingredients are well incorporated. Smooth out batter evenly with a spoon or rubber scraper.
- Sprinkle the last tablespoon of chocolate chips on top of the batter.
- Microwave on high for 55-65 seconds. Cake will be set and slightly glossy or moist on top. Chocolate chips will be melted. Enjoy right away while warm.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 293Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gSodium: 1mgCarbohydrates: 54gSugar: 26gProtein: 4g