The BEST Blueberry French Toast Casserole!
The ultimate blueberry French toast bake! Blueberries and cream cheese are stars of this easy baked blueberry french toast, which is topped with a cinnamon almond streusel. Serve with blueberry syrup and whipped cream for the most amazing breakfast ever!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Your Brunch NEEDS this Baked Blueberry French Toast!
Saturday & Sunday mornings were made for a few things: 1) sleeping in, 2) good coffee, and 3) fantastic breakfasts. My family loves nothing more than a really fantastic Saturday morning feast, often comprised of bacon, sausage, pancakes or a really amazing French toast recipe. I recently concocted this amazing Blueberry French Toast Bake that is nothing short of Saturday morning perfection!
This baked blueberry French toast includes cream cheese, which adds a fantastic creamy consistency to the bread. It’s also topped with a cinnamon almond streusel which crisps up in the oven for the most amazing textures.
Here are a few tips and tricks to making this delicious Blueberry French Toast Bake:
I’ve come to discover that blueberries and cream cheese absolutely belong together. The perfect example of this is my Blueberry Cream Cheese Breakfast Braid (which was my #1 reader favorite recipe of 2017!)
Should I use fresh or frozen blueberries for this blueberry French toast?
If fresh blueberries are in season, I would recommend using fresh. If you cannot find fresh blueberries, feel free to use frozen blueberries that have been thawed and rinsed.
The juicy blueberries bake up together with the cream cheese and make the most amazing flavor combination. Add some crunch with almonds, along with a sweet streusel and you’ve got yourself one incredible breakfast!
What type of bread do I use for blueberry french toast bake?
Similar to other French toast casseroles, this starts with a loaf of French or Italian bread that has been sliced and cubed. I then add about half of those cubes to my oval baking dish. To the first half of the bread cubes I’ll then layer on half of the blueberries and half of the cream cheese cubes.
Next, add the rest of the bread cubes, and layer on the rest of the blueberries and cream cheese pieces. This layering process is simply to ensure that the entire casserole gets an even distribution of the blueberries and cream cheese, not having them lumped all together on the top or bottom of the dish or pan.
Does French toast casserole have a topping?
To make this French Toast bake extra special, I top it with a simple and delicious almond streusel. This topping adds a fantastic sweetness and crunch that goes perfectly with the blueberries and cream cheese. The almonds toast nicely and the blueberries peak through, creating a show-stopper breakfast perfect for treating your family, or even serving to company.
What do I serve with French Toast Casserole?
This blueberry French toast casserole is great served with blueberry syrup, whipped cream, and extra blueberries and slices almonds. Other side ideas could be bacon, sausage, ham, Greek yogurt, eggs, and a Starbucks Copycat Salted Caramel Mocha or my Vanilla Bean Iced Coffee.
Here’s a handy list of ingredients you’ll need for your shopping list:
- 1 large loaf, French or Italian bread (I like to get a fresh loaf from my grocery store bakery)
- cream cheese
- fresh or frozen blueberries (1 pint or package)
- half and half
- sliced almonds
If you love blueberries for breakfast, check out some of my other berry breakfast recipes:
Raspberry Almond Smoothie Bowl at Real Housemoms
Here’s the easy, delicious recipe for this fantastic Baked Blueberry French Toast:
- 1 large loaf, French or Italian bread, cubed
- 1 c. fresh or frozen blueberries
- 4 oz. (1/2 package) cut into small cubes
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 c. milk
- 1/2 c. half and half
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/2 tsp.cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 3 Tbsp. cold butter
- 1/4 c. sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a oval or rectangular baking dish with non-stick baking spray.
- Place about half of the bread cubes in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle about half of the blueberries and half of the cream cheese cubes over the top of the bread. Add the remaining bread and and the rest of the blueberries and cream cheese cubes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, milk, half and half, sugar, vanilla and nutmeg. Whisk together well, ensuring all of the egg yolks are broken and well combined. Pour this mixture evenly over the top of the bread.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add in the cold butter and mix together with a fork or pastry cutter, breaking apart the butter. The mixture will look crumbly. Stir in sliced almonds to combine. Sprinkle the almond streusel mixture over the top of the bread.
- Place baking dish on a baking sheet (a full baking dish may bubble over a bit - a baking sheet will help prevent oven spills.) Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. Serve with blueberry syrup, whipped cream and additional blueberries and almonds, if desired.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1559Total Fat: 46gSaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 660mgCarbohydrates: 238gSugar: 196gProtein: 53g
I hope this recipe inspires you to sleep in, have a great cuppa coffee and make the most amazing French toast you’ve ever had. Enjoy! ~Erin