In need of an easy weeknight dinner idea? This One Pot Cheesy Italian Goulash is the perfect dinner solution! Made with simple ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry, this one skillet ground beef dinner is fantastic for feeding your family any night of the week!
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
This Cheesy Goulash recipe is the perfect weeknight dinner!
This One Skillet Italian Goulash has become one of my go-to weeknight dinners. It comes together in about 20 minutes and is always a hit with my guys! It’s an easy ground beef dinner that is made in one single skillet (no extra pots of boiling water needed), which makes post-dinner clean-up a cinch.
Best of all, it uses simple ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry, your fridge or freezer and on your spice shelf. I’ve broken down this easy meal into simple steps, which will hopefully get dinner on your table just as quick as it gets to mine.
Here are the simple steps to making this fantastic Italian Goulash:
Step 1: Brown the Ground Beef
To start off, pull out your big skillet – you know the one. Heat it on medium high heat and add in a pound of ground beef. While the beef is browning I also like to add in a couple tablespoons of dried, minced onion and some minced garlic.
Cooking this along with the beef gives it some nice flavor and will also add to the other seasonings added in the next step. Drain off any excess fat that the beef may render.
Can I use ground turkey for goulash?
Yes, definitely. Ground turkey is an easy substitution of ground beef in just about any recipe, including this cheesy goulash.
Step 2: Add in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, pasta and seasoning
In the same skillet that you just cooked the beef in, add a can of diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, pasta (about 2/3 of a box/pound), and seasonings, which include Italian Herbs, garlic salt, and onion powder. Stir these together well, and add about 2 cups of water.
Much of the water will simmer off, but it is necessary to make sure the pasta cooks well. Cover the skillet with a lid, heat on medium, and bring the Italian goulash to a simmer. Once it is simmering, reduce heat to medium low, and continue to simmer for 12-15 minutes or until the pasta is cooked to al dente.
Step 3: Add in the Cheeses
Once the Italian Goulash has finished cooking, stir in the shredded Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses. The pasta will still be quite hot, and once stirred in, will melt the cheeses almost immediately. Let the goulash cool for a couple of minutes before plating and serving.
What type of cheese should I use for cheesy goulash?
Shredded cheddar, jack or a blend (Mexican blend is great!) of cheeses is great for a cheesy goulash recipe. For this Italian version, I like to use shredded Parmesan cheese. Mozzarella is great as well.
As you can see, this amazing pasta with meat sauce is saucy, cheesy and loaded with flavor and deliciousness. Best of all, this easy ground beef meal is done in around 20 minutes, which equates to a huge dinner victory!
Need ideas for what to serve with goulash? Here are some of my favorites:
When serving, feel free to add a sprinkle of chopped Italian parsley for a little green color, and a sprinkling of additional Parmesan cheese. Everyone in the family will love this fabulous dinner, and it will quickly become a new favorite!
Here’s a quick-reference grocery list for the ingredients you’ll need to make this easy One Pot Cheesy Italian Goulash:
- 1 lb. lean, ground beef
- box of medium size pasta – I used Campanelle (penne, rotini, farafelle or rigatoni also work well)
- 1 (15 oz) can, tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 oz) can, diced tomatoes
- minced onion (dried, in the spice aisle)
- Italian herbs (dried, in the spice aisle)
- garlic salt
- onion powder
- shredded Parmesan cheese
- shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Italian parsley – optional, for garnish
*For exact ingredient amounts and instructions, be sure to reference the recipe below.
If you loved this Italian Goulash recipe, check out some of my simple dinner recipes:
- Cheeseburger Macaroni
- Skillet Tortellini and Meatballs Marinara
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken Pasta
- Italian Sausage Gnocchi in Creamy Red Sauce
- Skillet Lasagna
- Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo
- Easy Cheesy Breadsticks – a fantastic side to go with this Italian Goulash!
- Ham Cheese & Broccoli Pasta
- Italian Chicken & Dumpling Soup
- Easy Pesto Pasta with Scallops
- Shrimp Stir Fry with Noodles
- Penne Chicken Alfred with Bacon
- Sheet Pan Sweet and Sour Shrimp
- Italian Grilled Chicken
- Italian Mini Meatloaf
Here’s the easy, delicious recipe for my One Pot Cheesy Italian Goulash:
- 1 lb. lean, ground beef
- 2 Tbsp. dried, minced onion
- 1 tsp. (about 2 cloves) minced garlic
- 10 oz. (about 2/3 box) of medium sized pasta, like Campanelle
- 1 (15 oz.) can, tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can, diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp. Italian herbs
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 2 c. water
- 1 c. mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 c. Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Italian parsley, for garnish (if desired)
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the ground beef. While it is cooking add in the minced onion and garlic. Brown completely and drain off any excess fat.
- Continue to heat the skillet over medium-high heat and add in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, pasta, Italian herbs, garlic salt and onion powder. Stir well to combine and add in the water. Bring the ingredients to a simmer, and then reduce the heat to medium low. Cover skillet, and cook on medium low heat for 12-15 minutes or until pasta is cooked to al dente.
- Once pasta is cooked, add in the shredded cheeses and stir so that the cheese melt into the goulash. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve with additional shredded Parmesan cheese and a sprinkling of Italian parsley, if desired.
Feel free to use ground turkey instead of ground beef, if desired.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1202Total Fat: 56gSaturated Fat: 29gCholesterol: 316mgSodium: 3757mgCarbohydrates: 34gSugar: 17gProtein: 151g
I hope this recipe inspires you to take a few minutes, gather your peeps around the table and enjoy a hot, delicious meal together. No matter how your day has gone, taking just a few minutes to eat together as a family will make your day so much better. Enjoy! ~Erin