Love chocolate and peanut butter, but want to keep it on the healthy side? These chocolate covered banana bites are a great option to keep in your freezer. Made with just 5 ingredients, these frozen banana peanut butter bites keep portions in check while still being able to indulge in peanut butter and chocolate.
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Do you love indulging in chocolate and peanut butter, but want to do it in a healthier way? These chocolate covered banana bites are a fantastic option.
Made with just 5 ingredients, these frozen banana peanut butter bites are a great healthy snack to keep in your freezer.
Made with healthier ingredients, these are a much better option than buying expensive frozen bananas. You get to control the ingredients, which means you get to create a better-tasting, better-for-you snack.
What do I need to make banana bites?
- Bananas – use fresh bananas for making these banana bites. I wouldn’t recommend using over-ripe bananas. Use bananas that are yellow and not brown.
- Peanut Butter – I used creamy peanut butter, but chunky would be really good in these as well. You could also use a creamy or chunky almond butter, cashew butter or even pecan butter. Choose a good quality nut butter, ideally made with just nuts and salt.
- Chocolate Chips for melting – choose a good quality chocolate, ideally with low or no refined sugar. My favorites are Hu Kitchen Chocolate Chips or Lily’s Dark Chocolate Chips.
- Coconut Oil – you’ll need this for melting the chocolate. This will keep the chocolate smooth and good for coating the banana bites. I use and love Carrington Farms Unflavored Coconut Oil, which is also great for baking instead of using vegetable oil.
- Peanuts – I added chopped peanuts to the tops of some of the banana bites. I also added sea salt on the others. These are optional, but really add a nice crunch to each banana bite.
For exact ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions be sure to scroll down to the bottom of the post for the recipe. Thanks!
How do I make banana bites?
Start by slicing a banana into 1/4″ slices. Place the individual slices on a small sheet pan that has been lined with parchment or waxed paper. The paper will keep the bananas from sticking to your pan. Freeze the banana slices for 30 minutes.
Once the bananas are frozen, add about 1 teaspoon of peanut butter on the top of half of the slices. You’ll only need to add peanut butter to half of the slices.
Create a mini banana sandwich by topping the peanut butter with another slice of banana.
Freeze the bananas and peanut butter for another 30 minutes. Making sure the bananas and peanut butter are frozen will help when you dip them in chocolate.
Once the bananas and peanut butter are frozen they are ready to be dipped in chocolate.
In a microwave safe bowl, add the chocolate chips and coconut oil. Melt on 30 second increments until all the chocolate is smooth. Don’t overheat, as the chocolate will become grainy and dry.
Dip the frozen bananas into the chocolate using forks, covering the bananas with chocolate on all sides. Work quickly, as the chocolate will begin to harden once it comes into contact with the frozen bananas.
Frequently asked questions about banana bites:
Banana bites are sliced bananas filled with peanut butter and covered in chocolate. Most are enjoyed frozen. Some are topped with chopped nuts, sea salt or coconut.
When placed on a sheet pan in a single layer, banana slices can take about 1-2 hours to freeze. Whole bananas will need a minimum of 4 hours to freeze.
Bananas will freeze quicker when they are sliced and placed on a lined sheet pan in a single layer. Once frozen, banana slices can be placed in a freezer bag to be used later.
Banana bites are about 42 calories per bite. A serving of banana bites is 2 for a total of 84 calories.
Toppings for the frozen banana peanut butter bites:
For these banana bites I used chopped peanuts and sea salt, however, there are many options to choose from. Here are a few alternatives that would taste great:
- Flake coconut
- Pecan Halves or chopped pecans
- Whole or chopped almonds
Storing frozen banana bites:
For best results, I store my chocolate covered banana bites in a freezer-safe meal prep container. However, you can also add them to snack-sized freezer bags or a large quart or gallon sized freezer bag.
If you loved this healthy snack recipe, check out some of our other recipes that use peanut butter, bananas and chocolate:
- 2 large bananas, sliced
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Slice bananas thinly (about 1/4" or less) and place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper or waxed paper. Place sliced bananas in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- To the frozen banana slices, place approximately 1/2 teaspoon on top of half of the slices. Top the peanut butter with a frozen banana slice, creating a mini peanut butter and banana sandwich. Place the peanut butter and bananas into the freezer, and freeze for at least 1 - 2 hours. (Note it is very helpful to have these completely frozen when they are dipped in chocolate. If they are not frozen, the bananas will fall apart.)
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil in the microwave on 30 second increments until completely melted and smooth. Stir after each increment. Don't overheat the chocolate as it will become clumpy and dry.
- Dip the frozen bananas into the chocolate and cover completely with chocolate. Using two forks is helpful in this process. Transfer the chocolate dipped bananas back to the sheet pan, and top with your preference of toppings, like chopped peanuts, sea salt, almonds or coconut. Let the chocolate harden before enjoying.
- Store the banana bites in a freezer container or freezer bag. Will keep frozen for up to 2 months.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Stasher Reusable Silicone Storage Bag, Food Storage Container, Microwave and Dishwasher Safe, Leak-free, Pocket 2-Pack, Clear + Aqua
Zulay Kitchen 5 Pack High Quality, Leak-Proof Glass Food Storage Containers - 36 oz Thick & Durable Glass Meal Prep Containers - Airtight Easy to Clean Glass Storage Containers With Lids
Stasher Reusable Silicone Storage Bag, Food Storage Container, Microwave and Dishwasher Safe, Leak-free, Stand Up - Mid, Clear
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 83Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 81mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 2g