The Ultimate Chocolate Crinkle Cookie Recipe!
Are Chocolate Crinkles one of your favorite Chocolate Christmas Cookies? Then you definitely need to make this Chocolate Crinkle Cookie recipe for your next cookie exchange or Christmas party! Soft, chewy and perfect for leaving out for Santa on Christmas Eve!
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
If you love fudgy brownies topped with powdered sugar, then these Chocolate Crinkles are for you! This Chocolate Crinkle Cookie recipe is fantastic for the holidays or anytime you’re in the mood for chocolate!
Every year during the holidays, my son asks to bake Christmas cookies. I use to do this with my mom when I was a kid, and I’m so happy that my son asks to carry on this holiday tradition. This year, we tried a new recipe from The Ultimate Kids Baking Book (Amazon Affiliate Link)by my friend and fellow food blogger & author Tiffany Dahle.
This cookbook is a fantastic gift for any child that is interested in baking. The recipes are fantastic and perfect for encouraging your young cooks to get creative in the kitchen. Harrison and I are loving all of the recipes, and in particular, this Chocolate Crinkle Cookie recipe is at the top of our list.
Here’s the simple steps to making these chewy, delicious Chocolate Christmas Cookies:
Step 1: Mix the wet and dry ingredients separately
Much like other cookie recipes, you’ll start by combining your wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls.
How do you get these chocolate crinkles extra moist and fudgy?
To help this chocolate crinkle cookie recipe become extra chewy and fudgy, you’ll add 4 oz. of melted baking chocolate. Follow the package directions for melting. I used my microwave to melt this chocolate. Start melting in short, 30 second increments stopping to stir each time. Be careful not to over heat the chocolate, as it can then become dry and crumbly.
Step 3: Combine the wet and dry ingredients
Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients to mix the dough. Once all of the ingredients are incorporated, the dough will be very thick.
Step 4: Refrigerate the Dough
Starting with cold dough, helps the cookies hold their round shape. Cold dough is also less likely to stick to your hands when rolling.
Tools I use for baking these Chocolate Crinkles:
- NordicWare Aluminum Non-Stick Baking Sheets – these sheet pans are not only awesome for baking cookies, I love making sheet pan dinners on them as well. They clean up beautifully and are very durable!
- Silicone Baking Mats – I’ve discovered that using silicone baking mats for cookie baking is a must. The cookies bake more evenly and they never stick to the pan. I highly recommend!
Once the cookies come out of the oven, let them cool on the pan for 5-10 minutes. Then, transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. The cookies will be soft, so don’t skip this step. If you try to transfer them right away, they’ll likely tear or fall apart.
Enjoy these cookies while they’re still warm with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee. They’re the perfect treat for taking to a Christmas cookie exchange. I will be taking a big batch to my son’s school for the annual Christmas Cookie Buffet for the teachers and staff.
FAQ’s about Chocolate Crinkles:
Can I freeze chocolate crinkle cookies?
- Yes, you can freeze these chocolate crinkle cookies. Once the baked cookies come to room temperature, place in an airtight container. Place cookies in layers separated by sheets of waxed paper so they don’t stick together. When ready to thaw, simply let the cookies sit at room temperature.
Can I freeze chocolate cookie dough and bake later?
- Yes, you can make the dough and freeze up to 1 month in advance. Make the dough and wrap in plastic wrap. Place wrapped dough in a zip-top freezer bag and seal. When ready to bake cookies, let dough thaw at room temperature. For best results, keep dough cold while rolling into cookie balls.
How long do chocolate crinkle cookies last?
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies will last 5-6 days at room temperature in an air-tight container.
If you love Chocolate Christmas Cookies and Candies, then be sure to check out some of my other similar recipes perfect for the holidays:
Like this recipe? Be sure to pin it to your COOKIE board!
Follow DelightfulEMade on Pinterest!
Here’s the recipe for my soft & chewy Chocolate Crinkles:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a larger bowl, cream together the eggs, brown sugar and butter. Add in the vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Melt the chocolate according to package directions. (If using the microwave, melt in 30 second increments, stopping to stir.) Pour melted chocolate into the wet ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until completely combined. Dough will be thick. Cover dough and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop out dough and roll with your hands into uniform 1" balls. Roll in the powdered sugar to coat, and place on the lined cookie sheets.
- Bake 12 cookies at a time, at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes. Transfer cookies to a rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days at room temperature. Can be frozen for up to 1 month.
Recipe Yields approximately 2 1/2 - 3 dozen cookies.
This recipe is from The Ultimate Kids Baking Book, by Tiffany Dahle.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 2 cookies
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1536Total Fat: 56gSaturated Fat: 35gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 1225mgCarbohydrates: 259gSugar: 179gProtein: 19g