Looking for a great chicken stuffed bell peppers recipe? These buffalo chicken stuffed peppers taste just like buffalo chicken dip thanks to the creamy, cheesy chicken filling. Top with extra hot sauce and blue cheese crumbles for the ultimate buffalo chicken dinner!
This recipe first appeared at Savory Experiments where I am a contributor.
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
If you love creamy cheesy buffalo chicken dip, then this stuffed bell peppers recipe is for you. Made with a buffalo chicken filling that is similar to the dip, the flavors are spot-on!
These buffalo chicken stuffed peppers come together easily with pre-cooked shredded chicken, cream cheese, and your favorite wing sauce. Easy to make with minimal prep making it perfect for a weeknight dinner idea!
What you’ll need to make this recipe:
- Fresh Bell Peppers – green, red, yellow, and orange bell peppers are great for this recipe. You’ll need to slice in half and remove the interior seeds and pulp.
- Pre-cooked shredded chicken – feel free to purchase shredded chicken to save yourself some time. You can also oven roast, air fry or slow cook chicken breasts to save on cost.
- Cream cheese – this provides a fantastic creamy consistency to the filling, mimicking the flavor and texture of buffalo chicken dip.
- Freshly shredded cheddar cheese – freshly shredded cheese is ideal for this recipe. It will be included in both the filling and melt on top of the peppers.
- Freshly shredded mozzarella cheese – like cheddar, mozzarella will provide some wonderful creaminess to the filling. Freshly shredding mozzarella is ideal for this recipe.
- Wing sauce – we used Frank’s Red-Hot Sauce; however, you can use your preferred wing sauce depending on how hot or mild you enjoy. This sauce can also be added to the top of the peppers just before serving.
- Ranch seasoning mix – this dry seasoning mix is found near the bottled dressings in the grocery store.
- Blue cheese or goat cheese crumbles – optional, this cheese is fantastic as a topping for these stuffed peppers.
- Green onions – a great topping adding some color and flavor to every bite.
For exact ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions be sure to scroll down to the bottom of the post for the recipe. Thanks!
How do I make buffalo chicken stuffed peppers?
Lightly spray a casserole dish or 9 x 13” pan with non-stick cooking spray. Cut the bell peppers in half, removing the interior seeds and pulp. Place the pepper halves in the prepared pan and set aside.
To a mixing bowl, add the cooked, shredded chicken, cream cheese, freshly shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheeses, hot sauce and ranch mix. Stir together well with a rubber scraper. The filling will have a thick, creamy consistency.
Using a spoon, divide the buffalo chicken filling evenly between the bell peppers, filling each nearly full. To the pan, add the water and then tightly cover with foil.
Bake the stuffed peppers. Then, sprinkle the reserved shredded cheddar cheese evenly over the tops of the peppers. Continue to bake until the cheese topping is completely melted.
Top the stuffed peppers with blue cheese or goat cheese crumbles, sliced green onions, ranch or blue cheese dressing and additional hot sauce before serving.
Topping Options and Ideas:
- Blue cheese or goat cheese crumbles – mimicking the flavors of buffalo wings, these stuffed peppers are perfect when topped with a sprinkle of blue cheese.
- Ranch Dressing: If you’re not a blue cheese fan, a drizzle of ranch dressing is perfect on the top or on the side for dipping.
- Blue Cheese Dressing: for many, blue cheese dressing is the only way to go when it comes to buffalo wings. Serve this on top or on the side of the stuffed peppers.
- Green onions – these add a fantastic level of mild onion flavor and add a nice amount of green color to each pepper.
- Hot Sauce – add a few shakes of your favorite wing sauce to each of these peppers. We used Frank’s Red-Hot Sauce in the filling and as a topping just before serving.
Frequently asked questions about chicken stuffed bell peppers:
This stuffed pepper recipe will need approximately 40 minutes to bake at 350 degrees. Be sure to cover the baking dish with foil so the peppers are able to cook and soften.
Stuffed pepper filling can be made up to 24 hours in advance. Mix the chicken, cream cheese, hot sauce, cheeses, and ranch seasoning. Transfer to a resealable container and refrigerate until ready to stuff the peppers.
It is not necessary to precook the peppers before adding the filling. When ready to bake the stuffed peppers add a couple tablespoons of water to the baking dish. Cover the baking dish tightly with foil. This will help the peppers steam and soften to a perfect tenderness.
Since this recipe does not contain rice, this buffalo chicken stuffed pepper recipe is a good low carb option.
My favorite place to buy shredded chicken is Costco. They sell pulled rotisserie chicken in vacuum-sealed packs in their prepared foods section. This is one of my 15 things to buy at Costco for healthy meals and snacks.
What do I serve with stuffed peppers?
Stuffed peppers are great served with a green salad on the side. Enjoy some Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing on top of the peppers and the salad. Stuffed peppers are also great with rice, vegetables and pasta salads. Here are a few that would go great with this recipe:
- Sauteed Broccoli with Garlic
- Lemon Orzo Pasta Salad
- Sauteed Carrots
- Zesty Italian Pasta Salad
- Italian Tortellini Salad
Check out some of our other recipes using bell peppers and shredded chicken:
- 4 bell peppers, cut lengthwise with internal pulp and seeds removed
- 16 oz. pre-cooked, shredded chicken
- 8 oz. package, cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, freshly shredded, divided
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, freshly shredded
- 1/3 cup wing sauce
- 1 tablespoon ranch seasoning mix
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons blue cheese or goat cheese crumbles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a casserole dish or 9 x 13” pan with non-stick cooking spray. Place the prepared bell pepper halves into the pan. Set aside.
- To a mixing bowl, add the shredded chicken, cream cheese, ½ cup cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, wing sauce and ranch seasoning. Mix well with a rubber scraper. The mixture will be thick and creamy.
- Divide the mixture evenly into each bell pepper, filling to the edges.
- Add the water to the bottom of the baking dish. Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top the stuffed peppers with the reserved cheddar cheese. Bake for another 10 minutes, uncovered, or until the cheese is completely melted and light golden brown.
- Let the peppers cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. Top with the green onions and cheese crumbles just before serving.
It is important to cover the baking dish with foil when baking. The water in the baking dish will create steam and allow the peppers to soften and become tender. If baked uncovered, the buffalo chicken filling will cook and become dry before the peppers become tender.
These stuffed peppers are also great served with a drizzle of ranch or blue cheese dressing
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
HOTEC Food Grade Silicone Rubber Spatula Set for Kitchen Baking, Cooking, and Mixing High Heat Resistant Non Stick Dishwasher Safe BPA-Free Multicolor Set of 5 Grey
Pyrex Smart Essentials 3-Piece Prepware Mixing Bowl Set, 1-Qt, 1.5-Qt ,and 2.5-Qt Glass Mixing Bowls, Dishwasher, Microwave and Freezer Safe
Pyrex Deep 9x13-Inch Glass Baking Dish with Lid, Deep Casserole Dish, Glass Food Container, Oven, Freezer and Microwave Safe, Clear Container
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 344Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 104mgSodium: 490mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 23g