Healthy Unstuffed Peppers with Cauliflower Rice
If you need a really quick, healthy dinner idea, you’ve come to the right place! Made in 20 minutes, my Healthy Unstuffed Peppers with Cauliflower Rice will be your new go-to healthy weeknight dinner idea. This fantastic ONE-skillet unstuffed pepper recipe is great for meal prepping, too!
Weeknights always seem to be rushed. With kids activities, busy work schedules and long commutes, dinner needs to be quick. But we also want something healthy for ourselves and our families, right? That’s where this delicious, filling and Healthy Unstuffed Peppers recipe comes into play. Made with simple ingredients that you likely already have in your fridge and freezer, this awesome recipe is made in just ONE skillet. Ideal for any busy night!
Like this recipe? Be sure to pin it to your HEALTHY DINNER board!
Follow DelightfulEMade on Pinterest!
Much like my Healthy Taco Stuffed Peppers recipe, this recipe is super flavorful and easy to make. It has many similar ingredients that a regular stuffed peppers recipe has, but instead of filling peppers and baking them in the oven, all of the ingredients are cooked in ONE skillet. Not only does this cut down on clean up, it speeds up the cooking process dramatically. Music to everyones ears, especially for a weeknight, right?
Here’s how my simple, delicious ONE Skillet Unstuffed Pepper recipe comes together
Unstuffed Peppers Step 1: Start by chopping and sauteing the peppers and onions
It wouldn’t be an unstuffed pepper recipe without peppers, right? I used two bell peppers of different color (green and yellow) along with a yellow onion. You can use any color of peppers you prefer and can find.
Saute the peppers and onions for 5-7 minutes or until the onion starts to become clear and translucent. Transfer these to a separate bowl.
Unstuffed Peppers Step 2: Brown the Ground Beef
In the same skillet that you just used for the peppers and onions, brown the ground beef. Drain off any excess fat that renders.
Next, add back the peppers and onions, the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and spices.
If you haven’t already done so, microwave the cauliflower rice according to package directions.
Unstuffed Peppers Step 3: Add the cauliflower rice
Cauliflower rice is a marvelous thing. Many traditional unstuffed pepper recipes call for regular white rice to be cooked in the ground beef mixture. Because we are using cauliflower rice (that has already been pre-cooked in the microwave) we’re shaving off valuable cook time from the traditional recipe (made with white rice). We also shave off a fair amount of carbs and calories by substituting white rice for rice cauliflower.
Unstuffed Pepper Step 4: Simmer together for 5 minutes
Once the cauliflower rice has been added to the rest of the ingredients, simply simmer together for just 5 more minutes. This will help bring all of the flavors together and cook down any unnecessary liquid.
From here, this delicious unstuffed pepper recipe is ready to be served!
What makes this unstuffed pepper recipe healthy?
- Most traditional unstuffed pepper casseroles call for the addition of white rice. We are replacing these carbs and calories with cauliflower rice. A healthy, low-carb option that is filling and satisfying.
- The ground beef is a great source of protein in this recipe. However, if you would prefer to use ground turkey, feel free to do so. Ground beef and ground turkey are both healthy options. You can also use ground bison.
- This recipe is loaded with vegetables! Between the bell peppers, onion, cauliflower rice, diced tomatoes and the tomato sauce, there is lots of fiber, vitamins and minerals. Note on the tomato sauce: be sure to read your labels carefully to make sure there isn’t high-fructose corn syrup.
If you loved this delicious Unstuffed Peppers, then check out some of my other healthy dinner recipes:
Here’s the recipe for my delicious Healthy Unstuffed Peppers:
- 1 Green bell pepper, diced
- 1 Yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp. Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz. can) tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 oz. can) fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 oz. pkg) frozen riced cauliflower, microwaved to package directions
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- Chopped cilantro
- Shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- Microwave the riced cauliflower according to package directions. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, over medium high heat, heat the olive oil. Add the diced peppers and onion, and saute for 5-7 minutes or until the onions are nearly clear and translucent. Transfer the cooked peppers and onions to a separate bowl.
- In the same skillet, brown the ground beef along with the garlic. Drain off any excess grease. Add back the peppers and onions. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, paprika, pepper and garlic salt. Stir together. Add in the cooked riced cauliflower.
- Stir all the ingredients together and simmer for an additional 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Serve right away while hot. Top with any optional toppings like cilantro or shredded cheese.
Feel free to substitute the ground beef with ground turkey or bison.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 4 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 239Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 463mgCarbohydrates: 10gSugar: 4gProtein: 26g