Need an easy and flavorful way to prepare broccoli? This sauteed broccoli with garlic is simple to make and tastes amazing. This sauteed broccoli recipe is a fantastic side dish and is versatile enough to be prepared with just about any dinner.
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Do you love the idea of preparing broccoli as a side dish, but just not sure how to make it? This simple sauteed broccoli recipe will have you grabbing broccoli at the store every week.
Simply made, this easy broccoli recipe comes together with just olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Keeping the ingredients simple helps create a super versatile side that can be served with pasta, meats, and more!
What do I need to make sauteed broccoli?
Here’s a check-list of the ingredients you’ll need to make this sauteed broccoli recipe:
- Broccoli crowns or florets – most grocery stores sell broccoli in larger crowns, but you can also purchase packets of pre-trimmed broccoli florets as well.
- Garlic – you can mince your own garlic cloves or use jarred, minced garlic.
- Lemon juice – the lemon juice will help neutralize the flavor of the broccoli.
- Olive oil – needed for sautéing the garlic and broccoli.
- Salt and Pepper – basic seasoning is great for keeping this side dish versatile.
For exact ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions be sure to scroll down to the bottom of the post for the recipe. Thanks!
How do I make sauteed broccoli?
Start by steaming the broccoli. This is helpful in softening the flesh and giving it a more tender bite.
To steam the broccoli, place the broccoli florets in a skillet along with water. Heat over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. It will not take long for the broccoli to become more tender. You’ll notice the broccoli becomes a very bright, vibrant green.
Transfer the steamed broccoli to bowl and cover to keep warm.
In the same skillet, add olive oil and heat over medium high heat. Sautee the garlic until golden and fragrant. Add in the steamed broccoli and sauté for 2 minutes. Add in the lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Benefits of having broccoli in your diet:
- Nutrient Dense – broccoli is a highly nutritious food, and is a great source of Vitamin C, B6 and an excellent source of fiber.
- Anti-inflammatory – broccoli is a great food to include in your diet to help fight inflammation.
- Cancer fighter – broccoli is considered a super-food, and includes health protective effects and antioxidants to help protect against certain types of cancer.
What can I serve with sauteed broccoli?
Here are some other recipes that would be great paired with this sauteed broccoli recipe:
- Maple Glazed Air Fryer Salmon
- Italian Grilled Chicken
- Lemon Pepper Grilled Chicken
- Apple Cider Glazed Pork Chops
- Air Fryer Drumsticks Recipe
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers
Frequently asked questions about how to cook broccoli:
Steaming is good if you like a softer, more tender broccoli. Sauteing is the best if you like broccoli to be more firm and flavorful.
Broccoli is great when you add in garlic, lemon juice and simple seasoning, like salt and pepper. You can also add seasoning mixes like lemon pepper seasoning or a garlic seasoning salt.
Broccoli will quickly become mushy and fall apart if it is cooked too long. Avoid boiling broccoli. When steaming broccoli, steam it for just 2-3 minutes to get it tender yet still firm to the bite.
Do you love cooking with broccoli? Here are some of our most popular recipes that have broccoli:
- Chicken Tortellini Alfredo with Broccoli
- Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Sheet Pan Chicken and Potatoes
- Mac and Cheese with Ham and Broccoli
- Sheet Pan Chicken and Sweet Potatoes
- Chicken Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Sheet Pan Sweet and Sour Shrimp
Sauteed Broccoli with Garlic
- 1 lb. broccoli crowns trimmed into florets
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- To a large skillet add the trimmed broccoli florets and the water. Cover the skillet with a lid. Heat over medium heat until the water begins to simmer. Steam the broccoli for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat, drain off any excess water and transfer the steamed broccoli to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
- To the same skillet, add the olive oil and heat over medium high heat. Add the garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes or until light golden brown and fragrant. Add in the steamed broccoli and toss together in the garlic and oil for 1-2 minutes until lightly seared.
- Serve right away while hot.