Chocolate Almond Joy Poke Cake
If you love the classic coconut candy bar, then this chocolate poke cake recipe is for you! Cream of coconut is drizzled over chocolate cake, then topped with whipped topping, coconut, almonds and drizzled with hot fudge. This dreamy chocolate coconut dessert is not for the faint of heart!
Easily, one of my all-time favorite flavor combinations is chocolate and coconut. Maybe it goes back to my love of the Almond Joy candy bars, or the chocolate coconut candy that my mom would make at Christmas time. Since I absolutely love coconut cake (be sure to check out my Coconut Cream Poke Cake) as well as chocolate cake, it would only be natural to bring those two loves together in this poke cake recipe.
This easy, delicious chocolate poke cake is super simple to make. It starts with a basic chocolate cake mix, with just a few add-ins. One of those add-ins that adds some amazing coconut flavor is Cream of Coconut. This coconut product is actually one I’ve used in a number of recipes, including my Coconut Cream Pound Cake. The coconut flavor is subtle, but it also keeps the cake super moist.
Here are the easy steps to making this amazing Chocolate Almond Joy Poke Cake:
Step 1: Bake Cake and while still hot, poke holes
Like any good poke cake recipe, as soon as this cake comes out of the oven, you need to poke holes into it. You can use the end of a wooden spoon, or to create smaller holes, like I did here, you can use the larger end of a chop stick.
Step 2: Pour in the Cream of Coconut into the holes of the warm cake
While the cake is still warm, drizzle a 1/2 cup of the cream of coconut into the holes and over the top of the cake. This will not only add amazing flavor to the cake, it will keep it wonderfully moist and delicious. Let the cake cool by refrigerating or just let come to room temperature.
Step 3: Mix together the whipped topping and spread over the cooled cake
The third 1/2 cup portion of the cream of coconut is mixed into the whipped topping and then spread over the top of the cooled cake.
Step 4: Sprinkle on Coconut
To the top of the coconut whipped topping, evenly sprinkle the sweetened flake coconut.
Step 5: Sprinkle on the Sliced Almonds
Sprinkle on the sliced almonds over the top of the coconut. I really love using these type of almonds – they’re perfect for desserts and add a great crisp texture to each bite of cake.
Step 6: Drizzle Hot Fudge over the top of the cake
An amazing way to top off this cake is to add a bit more chocolate. This hot fudge ice cream topping is perfect and makes the cake look just as amazing as it tastes.
This fantastic poke cake recipe is a great dessert for everything from picnics to pot-luck dinners and would even make a fantastic birthday treat for any chocolate and coconut lover!
Here’s a shopping list for all of the ingredients you’ll need to make this chocolate poke cake recipe:
- 1 (15.25 oz.) chocolate cake mix
- 1 (15 oz.) can, cream of coconut
- vegetable oil
- 1 (8 oz.) carton, frozen whipped topping
- sweetened flake coconut
- sliced almonds
- hot fudge ice cream topping
- 1 (15.25 oz.) chocolate cake mix
- 1 (15 oz) can, Goya Cream of Coconut, divided into 3 - 1/2 cup portions
- 1 1/2 c. water
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c. vegetable oil
- 1 (8 oz.) container, frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 c. sweetened flake coconut
- 1/2 c. sliced almonds
- 1/4 c. hot fudge ice cream topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13" pan with non-stick baking spray. Set aside.
- With a hand or stand mixer, mix the cake mix 1/2 c. of the cream of coconut, water, eggs, and oil. Mix until smooth. Pour batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 26-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean and crumb-free.
- Remove cake from the oven. While still hot, poke holes into the hot cake with the back of a wooden spoon or chopstick. While cake is still warm, drizzle int the second 1/2 cup portion of the cream of coconut. Let cake cool and come to room temperature.
- Fold the remaining 1/2 cup portion of the cream of coconut into the thawed whipped topping. Spread over the top of the cooled cake. Sprinkle with coconut and almonds. Drizzle the hot fudge topping over the cake. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 177Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 139mgCarbohydrates: 8gSugar: 8gProtein: 8g
If you loved this delicious dessert, check out some of these other amazing recipes: