Slow Cooker Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole
Looking for an easy, cheesy potato side dish? This Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole recipe is made in the crock pot or oven, making it the perfect make-ahead side dish! These cheesy hash brown potatoes are perfect for holiday meals, cookouts and pot-luck dinners!
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
If there ever was a side dish that I’ve made over and over again, it’s this cheesy hash brown casserole recipe! I originally discovered this recipe when I lived out west in Boise, Idaho. (You can’t live in Idaho without coming away with some of the best potato recipes ever!)
It’s not only a simple recipe, with basic ingredients, but I’ve adapted it to be made in the crock pot or oven. It’s the perfect side dish for holiday meals, cookouts, or parties. There is literally 5 minutes of prep, and the slow cooker does the rest!
Here’s how these easy, delicious cheesy hash brown potatoes recipe comes together:
Step 1: Add all ingredients to your slow cooker
Yes, it is literally that easy! The recipe consists of a package of frozen hash brown potatoes, a package of shredded cheese, chopped green onions, and a sour cream sauce. The creamy sour cream sauce consists of a carton of sour cream, a can of cream of chicken soup, salt and pepper. It really doesn’t get much easier or simple than this!
Tools I use: This slow cooker is easily one of my most-used, all-time favorite kitchen tools. This Cuisinart 3-in-1 Mulit-Slow Cooker is easily one of the best slow cookers I’ve ever owned (and I’ve owned about 8!!)
Step 2: Stir all ingredients together
Before setting the slow cooker on low, stir all of the ingredients together well. The sour cream sauce, cheese and onions need to be well incorporated into the hash browns. As the slow cooker begins to cook the ingredients, everything will melt together creating creamy, delicious potatoes.
This side dish really is fantastic for holiday dinners, or cookouts, picnics and parties. It’s fantastic to quickly stir together, and let the slow cooker do all of the work. It’s also nice to have it not taking up any oven space when you’re cooking a big holiday ham or turkey.
Step 3: Cook and add toppings before serving
This cheesy hash brown potatoes recipe needs to cook in the slow cooker on low for 3-4 hours. If you need to speed up this process, you can cook on high for 2 hours.
How long do I bake Cheesy Hash Brown Potatoes in the oven?
Mix all ingredients together, and spread evenly into a 9 x 13″ baking dish. Preheat the oven to 350, and bake for 35-40 minutes.
What should I top cheesy hashbrown casserole with?
Once the potatoes are cooked, feel free to transfer to a serving dish and top with additional toppings like these:
- crisply cooked bacon
- sliced green onions
- diced ham
- additional shredded cheese
- crushed corn flakes or potato chips (add these the last 10 minutes if baking)
If you’re taking this cheesy hashbrown casserole to a party, feel free to keep the casserole right in the slow cooker to keep warm.
Here’s a shopping list for the ingredients you’ll need:
- Frozen hash browns
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese (cheddar, or mexican blend melt together nicely)
- Cream of chicken soup
- green onions
- Optional: bacon
Love a great slow cooker recipe? Check out our other slow cooker recipes:
- Slow Cooker Shredded BBQ Chicken
- Easy Slow Cooker Turkey Breast
- Slow Cooker Pulled Beef
- Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef
- Crock Pot Mexican Shredded Chicken
- Loaded Crock Pot Chili
- Slow Cooker Sirloin Beef Stew
- Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup
If you loved this cheesy hash brown casserole, be sure to check out some of my other potato side dishes:
- Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
- Parmesan Mashed Potatoes
- Best Ever Potato Salad
- Parmesan Ranch Steak Fries
- Ruth Chris Sweet Potato Casserole
- Roasted Butternut Squash Medley
- Garlic and Herb Roasted Red Potatoes
- 1 (30 oz.) pkg., frozen hash brown potatoes
- 1 (16 oz.) carton, sour cream
- 1 (10.5 oz.) can, cream of chicken soup
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg., shredded cheddar (or blend) cheese
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- shredded cheese
- chopped green onions
- crisply cooked bacon
- Into a slow cooker add the frozen hash browns, sour cream, soup, cheese, onions, salt and pepper. Stir together well so all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Set the slow cooker on low heat, and cook for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Once ready to serve, top with additional toppings of your choice.
If taking this casserole to a party or cookout, feel free to keep in the slow cooker to keep warm.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 97Total Fat: 1gSodium: 1211mgCarbohydrates: 22gSugar: 7gProtein: 6g