The BEST Strawberry Coffee Cake Recipe!
This delicious Strawberry Coffee Cake recipe is the perfect excuse to have cake for breakfast! Loaded with fresh, delicious strawberries, topped with a delicious streusel crumble and iced to perfection, this coffee cake is perfect for your next brunch!
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
I long to live in a world where it’s socially acceptable to eat cake for breakfast. Well, actually we kinda do! Donuts are pretty much cake, and don’t get me started on muffins – I mean, come on! Muffins are basically cupcakes without the frosting. So, lets just give up the ghost and have a slice of cake for breakfast already! We will start with this decadent, uber moist Strawberry Coffee Cake!
Adapted from my Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake, this delicious crumb cake recipe is super simple to make, and amazing with fresh strawberries. Fabulous for Easter or Mother’s Day brunch, this coffee cake recipe makes it perfectly acceptable to have our cake first thing in the morning.
Here are the simple directions for making this delicious Strawberry Coffee Cake:
Step 1: Start by mixing the wet and dry ingredients
In one bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda and salt. In a larger mixing bowl, cream together the butter, sugars, eggs, sour cream, and vanilla. Using a hand or stand mixer, gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Batter will become thick.
Step 2: Fold the berries into the batter
Add the diced strawberries to the batter. Fold in gently as to not break apart the berries. Set the batter aside.
Step 3: Make the crumble topping
In another bowl, mix together the streusel topping by combining the soft butter, flour and brown sugar. Mixture will resemble gravel.
Step 4: Add Batter to Spring Form Pan and Top with Streusel
To a round 9″ spring form pan, pour in the cake batter. Spread the batter evenly into the pan. Top the batter with the streusel topping.
Step 5: Bake the Cake
Place cake into the oven that has been preheated to 350 degrees. This cake will need 1 hour and 15 minutes to bake. (Yes, I realize this is a long time for a cake. But this batter is particularly thick, and will render a wonderfully moist, delicious cake!)
Step 6: Top Cake with Icing
Once cake is done baking and comes out of the oven, remove the outer ring of the spring-form pan. Let the cake cool to room temperature. While the cake cools, mix together the icing. Drizzle the cake to your hearts desire with icing – you’ll have the most beautiful Strawberry Coffee Cake that you’ve ever laid eyes on!
Step 7: Slice and Serve
This coffee cake is best served the same day it is baked, but should you need to bake it a day ahead of time, wait to ice it until maybe an hour before serving. This cake will definitely be the highlight of your brunch – serve with some amazing Strawberry Lemoncello Spritzers or my Lemon Raspberry Mimosas!
This cake is quite large – it can easily serve 12. Enjoy with fresh sliced strawberries on the side. Perfect for Easter or Mother’s Day brunch, it would also be a wonderful addition to any spring dessert table.
If you loved this delicious Strawberry Coffee Cake, check out my other delicious brunch & breakfast recipes:
- Peach Coffee Cake
- Cranberry Coffee Cake
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Breakfast Braid
- Strawberry Coffee Cake Donuts
- Strawberry Banana Bread
- Peach Coffee Cake
- Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake
- Velvety Pumpkin Crumb Cake
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Breakfast Braid
- Strawberry Fluff Salad
Coffee Cake FAQ’s:
Is there coffee in coffee cake?
No. Although some recipes may include coffee or espresso, most coffee cake recipes do not include any type of coffee. It is called coffee cake, as it is typically served with coffee.
Is crumb cake the same as coffee cake?
Not necessarily. Many coffee cake recipes do have a crumb or streusel topping, however, it is just an ingredient or component of coffee cake. Several coffee cake recipes do not have a crumble topping.
Is coffee cake a dessert?
It can be served as a dessert, after a lunch or dinner, however, coffee cake is most often served at breakfast or brunch.
- 2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 c. (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 1 c. light brown sugar
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/4 c. sour cream
- 2 c. fresh strawberries, diced
- 1/3 c. light brown sugar
- 2/3 c. flour
- 1/3 c. butter, softened, but not melted
- 1 - 1 1/4 c. powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9" spring form pan with non-stick baking spray, and set aside.
- In a bowl, add flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk together and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, using a hand or stand mixer, cream the butter and sugars together until completely combined. Add the eggs one at a time while mixer is on low. Mix in vanilla and sour cream. With mixer still on low, gradually add the the dry ingredients, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Mix until batter is smooth. Lastly, fold in the strawberries. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- In another bowl, combined the soft butter, flour and brown sugar. Mixture will be crumbly. Evenly sprinkle/crumble the struesel over the top of the batter.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour, 15 minutes. Ensure the cake is set and cooked through by lightly moving the pan. If the batter giggles, its not done. Batter needs to be set, golden brown, and when inserting a toothpick, it should come out clean of crumbs.
- Take out of the oven, let cool for about 15 minutes before removing from the pan. To make the glaze, combine the lemon juice and powdered sugar. Stir until fully combined and drizzle over the cake.
Serves 12 slices.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 12 slices
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 574Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 408mgCarbohydrates: 83gSugar: 55gProtein: 6g