Need an easy, delicious dinner idea that everyone will love? Try my Taco Mac and Cheese! Loaded with two types of cheese, pasta, tomatoes, seasoned beef and topped with tortilla chips and more cheese, this will be a new family favorite!
What’s for dinner? This is the age-old question that seems to cause many families stress and anxiety. Trying to please everyone in the household with a delicious dinner is nearly impossible. Having something that will be easy to make, and satisfying is also another feat that seems often insurmountable. I’m coming to the rescue with a delicious, easy to make dinner option that will satisfy the most fierce appetites and the pickiest of eaters. My Taco Mac & Cheese is here to save dinner!
My family and I absolutely love pasta dishes! My son is the self-proclaimed mac and cheese king, my husband is a big-time pasta lover, and I simply can’t get through the week with a great, spicy Mexican meal. This Taco Mac & Cheese easily satisfies all of our preferences and appetites in one deliciously savory skillet dinner!
This Taco Mac & Cheese couldn’t be easier to make! It’s simply a matter of combining everyone’s favorite dishes – tacos and mac & cheese into one easy, skillet dinner. This dish starts off by getting the water boiling for the pasta. I use rotini pasta for this dish, as it cooks pretty quickly and holds the cheese sauce nicely. While the pasta is cooking I’m preparing the taco meat. This is as simple as browning ground beef and adding the taco seasoning. When this is complete I begin preparing the cheese sauce. If you’ve never made a homemade cheese sauce before, you’re missing out! I firmly believe this is the key to a truly fantastic macaroni and cheese dish!
When the cheese sauce is complete, you then simply toss all of the ingredients together so its all combine in the skillet. I enjoying adding a couple of cans of RoTel for some nice tomato flavor and texture. From here top off your Taco Mac & Cheese with broken tortilla chips and a sprinkling of shredded cheese. Put the skillet under the broiler for a couple minutes, and you’ll have the most amazing meal that everyone in your family will love!
Serve with all your favorite taco toppings like lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream and guacamole. If you enjoy cilantro, add a sprinkling to the dish.
Here’s the recipe for this wonderfully delicious Taco Mac and Cheese:
- 1 lb. lean ground beef, browned and drained
- 3 Tbsp. taco seasoning (like McCormicks)
- 1/2 c. water
- 1 (16 oz) box of rotini pasta
- 2 (10 oz.) cans, diced tomatoes with chilis (like Rotel)
- Cheese Sauce:
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 6 tbsp. flour
- 4 c. milk
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. shredded sharp cheddar cheese (reserve 1/2 c. for topping)
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. shredded Monterrey jack cheese (reserve 1/2 c. for topping)
- 2 c. broken tortilla chips
- cilantro (if desired)
- In a large stockpot, bring generously salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions, to al dente. (One minute less than package directions.)
- While water for pasta is coming to a boil and pasta cooks, begin browning the ground beef in a large skillet. Drain off any excess fat. Add the taco seasoning and 1/2 cup of water and bring to a simmer for about one minute. Remove meat from skillet and transfer to a bowl.
- In the same skillet, begin making the cheese sauce. Over medium heat melt the butter. To the melted butter add the flour. Stir together, and cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until the mixture comes to a low simmer. In the microwave heat the milk for about 3 minutes or until very hot. Add the hot milk to the flour/butter mixture, and stir with a whisk. Increase heat to medium high. Continue whisking milk until is begins to thicken, about 5-8 minutes. Once it starts to simmer and thicken, add the cheeses (remember to reserve 1/2 c. from each package for the topping.) Stir until the cheese melts.
- Preheat your broiler. To the cheese sauce add the prepared taco meat, the two cans of tomatoes, and the cooked pasta. Stir together until all ingredients are incorporated. Top with the crushed tortilla chips, and the reserved cheeses. Place skillet under broiler for about 2-3 minutes or just until the cheese melts. Let cool for a few minutes and serve right away.
Serve with all of your favorite taco toppings like lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, guacamole and cilantro.
As you can see, with a little prep, you’ll have a delicious dinner ready and on the table in under 30 minutes! Hopefully this will satisfy all the appetites in your household and answer the age-old question of whats for dinner. I think you’ll find that this savory mac and cheese recipe will be a new favorite with all of the preferences (and personalities!) in your family! Enjoy! ~Erin