The perfect entree salad for the meat lover! Loaded with crunchy, delicious kale, Brussels sprouts, shredded broccoli, cabbage and chicory and topped with grilled sirloin steak, this salad is incredible. Fresh, filling and perfect for lunch or a light dinner!
Especially during the holiday season, its easy to go overboard with eating, and then suddenly discover you’ve gained 5 lbs (or more!), and your jeans no longer fit. I speak from experience here. 😉 With this in mind, I’m always looking for healthy, delicious lunch and dinner ideas that keep me on the healthy track. This Sweet Kale and Grilled Sirloin Salad is a fantastic meal idea that is healthy, filling, and full of flavor.
This salad starts with an Eat Smart Sweet Kale Vegetable Salad Kit, that is loaded with crunchy, fresh broccoli shreds, sliced Brussels sprouts, cabbage, kale, chicory, along with dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds. This salad kit is a wonderful way to get a delicious, healthy serving of vegetables in one convenient package. I love how fresh and crunchy the vegetables are, and how is pairs so well with the grilled sirloin.
Eat Smart makes a wonderful variety of salad and stir fry kits, which you can find in the produce section of your local grocery store. In addition to the Sweet Kale kit, we’ve also had the Ginger Bok Choy salad, which I paired with pork loin (it was amazing!!), and the Wild Greens and Quinoa Salad that I paired with a pasta meal. These were SOOOO good! I can’t wait to try the stir fry kits – I think I’ll pair shrimp with the Shanghai Blend, and maybe some chicken or beef with the Kale and Red Chard.
To add some additional flavor to the sirloin, I marinated it prior to grilling. This Montreal Marinade is a go-to anytime I prepare steak for grilling, and is a wonderful way to season and tenderize. When marinating steak (or any other meat for that matter), I typically prepare the marinade in the morning, add the meat, and refrigerate it throughout the day. Typically the meat marinates for 8-10 hours, but I’ve marinated for as little as 1-2 hours, and it still adds great flavor!
My family and I enjoy our steak cooked to medium, so these sirloin are grilled for about 5-6 minutes, per side, over a medium heat. Cook longer for a medium well, or well done sear, or a little less time for a medium rare, or rare sear. Once the steak is done grilling, I let it sit for a few minutes, just to keep the steaks juicy. From there, I slice up the steaks, and add it right to the top of the salad. You can top your salad with the delicious poppy seed dressing that comes with the salad, or make your own. I went with a dressing I make at home, using balsamic dressing, olive oil, and honey.
Want to make your own dried cranberries without the refined sugar?
Check out my post for How to Make Dried Cranberries recipe! No dehydrator necessary – just 3 ingredients and your oven does the work. This recipe contains no refined sugar, so you can feel good about adding these to your salads and wraps!
These dried cranberries are also great in cookies, bars (like these cranberry bliss bars!), homemade granola & granola bars, and stirring into yogurt and oatmeal.
Here’s the easy recipe for what you’ll need for this delicious salad:
- 1 (12 oz.) Eat Smart Sweet Kale Vegetable Salad Kit
- 2 (8 oz.) Petite Sirloin steaks
- Steak Marinade:
- 1/4 c. water
- 1/4 c. vegetable or olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Montreal marinade spice mix
- Optional Dressing:
- 1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 Tbps. honey
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- pepper to taste (3-4 grinds from pepper grinder)
- Prepare marinade by whisking together the water, oil, red wine vinegar and spice mix. Place the steaks into a resealable zip-lock bag, and pour the marinade over the steaks. Seal the bag and refrigerate and marinate the steaks for at least 3 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat outdoor grill, or indoor grill pan to medium heat. Remove the steaks from the marinade and grill for about 5-6 minutes per side on medium heat for a medium cook. (Less time for more rare sear and more time for a well done sear.) Remove from heat and let steaks sit for about 5 minutes to let the juices settle into the meat. Slice the steaks into strips.
- Prepare dressing, by whisking together the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey, garlic and pepper.
- Place the Eat Smart Salad kit on a platter , including the dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds. Add the steak strips to the top of the salad mix, and add the dressing over the top of the steaks and vegetables. Serve right away.
This salad is a wonderful way to incorporate healthy, delicious vegetables into your diet. With the steak, your getting a great amount of protein and iron which makes this salad a very well-rounded meal. Its a great lunch solution that you could pack for work (by the way, the steak is great cold or hot!) or a wonderful light dinner. Any way you have it, this Sweet Kale and Grilled Sirloin salad, will be a new go-to meal solution into your healthy way of living.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.