One seriously amazing grilled chicken recipe! Fresh tomatoes, basil and mozzarella top these balsamic vinaigrette marinated chicken breast, and grilled to perfection. Done and on the table in 25 minutes! Perfecto!!
As soon as the warm weather hits, I’m all about firing up the grill for dinner time. I love the fact that it doesn’t heat up my house, and the flavors of whatever I’m grilling taste so much better with that smokey, fire-roasted goodness! Grilled chicken is such an easy, go-to dinner option at our house, so much so that it becomes a bit boring. Can you relate to boring chicken dinners? Yeah, I thought so. I’m here to bring you a new, delicious and super-easy way to grill chicken…everyone, please meet your new favorite Grilled Caprese Chicken!
I’ve basically combine one of my summer favorites of Caprese Salad (tomatoes, fresh basil and mozzarella, drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar), and marinated Balsamic chicken breasts. As you can see, I got a little overzealous with the tomatoes and mozzarella – as usual, my eyes were bigger than my stomach, and I overloaded these chicken breasts. The tomatoes wanted to slide off the chicken while grilling. To prevent this, go for a wider sliced tomato and use slices from the large mozzarella ball, as they will stay in place much better than the smaller ones I used.
I did, however, manage to keep the tomatoes and mozzarella in place as the chicken finished grilling. I typically grill my chicken about 5 minutes per side on a medium heat. (I have a gas/infrared outdoor grill.) To ensure your cooking your chicken all the way through, cut a small slit in the chicken near the thicker side. Juices should run clear, and you should have only minimal pinkness to nearly white color of meat.
Once I brought these babies inside, I topped the chicken with an additional basil leaf, and drizzled with a balsamic reduction. Oh, man! The flavor is absolutely amazing! The fresh flavors of the tomatoes and mozzarella paired with the peppery basil go wonderfully with the balsamic marinated chicken. I’m telling you, this is the perfect dinner for eating outdoors practically any night of the week!
Pair this chicken with a simple side salad and a glass of Pinot Gris and dinner will be amazing!
Here’s how this delicious Grilled Caprese Chicken comes together:
- 4 - medium, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ c. balsamic vinegar
- ¼ c. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper (a few grinds of each)
- 1 - 8 oz. ball, fresh mozzarella
- 2 medium or 1 large, tomato
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- Balsamic reduction:
- ½ c. balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- Prepare chicken marinade by mixing together the ¼ c. balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. In a large resealable bag, place chicken breasts and pour marinade over the chicken. Seal and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 12 hours.
- Preheat your outdoor gas or charcoal grill to a medium high heat. Remove chicken from refrigerator. Slice the tomatoes and mozzarella, and have ready to go along with the basil leaves, reserving 4 basil leaves for after the chicken has cooked. Prepare balsamic reduction by combining the ½ c. balsamic vinegar and 2 T. brown sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to simmer and stir continually for about 6-8 minutes. Will reduce by half. Set aside reduction.
- Place the chicken on the hot grill, and cook skin side down for about 5 minutes. (If your grill requires a non-stick spray, spray grill BEFORE lighting.) Turn chicken over and top with slices of mozzarella, tomatoes and basil leaves. Cover grill and let cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove chicken from grill and drizzle with balsamic reduction and additional basil leaves. Enjoy right away.
With a little prep beforehand, this chicken comes together quickly and easily. The next time you’re wondering what you should have for dinner, give this Grilled Chicken Caprese a try. So easy and delicious, and you might even have a new go-to chicken dinner! Enjoy! ~Erin