Looking for a easy baked Italian chicken recipe? Look no further – this Italian Dressing Chicken uses simple ingredients, and needs NO store-bought Italian dressing. Made with boneless, skinless chicken breasts, this easy baked chicken breast recipe is the perfect home-cooked dinner for a busy weeknight.
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Wondering what to do with those boneless, skinless chicken breasts that you have in your fridge? This baked Italian Chicken recipe is the perfect dinner option that comes together quickly and easily.
Made with homemade Italian dressing, cherry tomatoes, artichoke hearts and served with orzo pasta, this easy baked chicken recipe comes together in one baking dish.
What you’ll need to make this Italian Dressing Chicken:
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Cherry Tomatoes – any color
- Jar of Marinated artichoke hearts
- Homemade Italian Dressing
- Orzo Pasta – I used whole wheat orzo, or any other small pasta
For exact ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions be sure to scroll down to the bottom of the post for the recipe. Thanks!
How do I make baked Italian Chicken?
- First, begin by mixing together the homemade Italian Dressing. Don’t worry – this comes together really quickly in a large measuring cup or bowl. You’ll need: olive oil, red wine vinegar, juice of 1 lemon, minced garlic, garlic powder, dried oregano, basil, crushed red pepper flakes, garlic salt and pepper. I’ve added the exact ingredient amounts in the recipe below.
- Lightly spray a medium, 12″ baking dish (can also use a 9×13″ pan) with non-stick cooking spray and add the halved cherry tomatoes and artichoke hearts.
- Place the chicken breasts on top of the tomatoes and artichokes.
- Pour the mixed Italian dressing over the top of the chicken, evenly coating each breast.
- Bake the chicken, tomatoes and artichokes at 425 degrees for approximately 25-30 minutes.
Be sure to check out my Google Web Story for making this Easy Baked Italian Chicken.
How long should I bake chicken breasts at 400 degrees?
- A medium 5-6 oz thinner cut chicken breast will need 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees.
- A larger, thicker 8 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast will need 25-30 minutes at 400 degrees.
How long should I bake chicken breasts at 425 degrees?
- A medium 5-6 oz thinner cut, chicken breast will need 18-20 minutes at 425 degrees.
- A larger, thicker 8 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast will need 22-27 minutes at 425 degrees.
Note on Chicken Baking Times and Doneness: To ensure your chicken is adequately cooked, internal temperature should be 165 degrees. I use this ThermaPen ONE Digital Instant Read Thermometer, which is fantastic for checking doneness of meat.
This is my go-to tool for grilling and roasting! With a Thermapen there’s no guessing if or when the meat is done. The precise temperature will provide you with meat that is perfectly cooked, juicy and delicious EVERY time!
What do I serve with this baked Italian chicken?
Whole wheat orzo pasta is the perfect pairing for this Italian dressing chicken.
Once the baked chicken comes out of the oven, transfer the chicken breasts to a cutting board to rest before slicing. The baked tomatoes and artichokes will be juicy and delicious. I then add the cooked orzo pasta to the baked tomatoes and artichokes. Topped with fresh grated Parmesan cheese, it’s the perfect side dish for this chicken.
Serving the baked tomatoes and artichokes without the pasta is also a great, low-carb option.
Here are some side salad options that would be great with this Italian chicken:
- Italian Chopped Salad
- Zesty Italian Pasta Salad
- Tomato Basil Mozzarella Salad
- Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad
- Healthy Broccoli Salad with Apples and Cherries
- Italian Tortellini Salad
Frequently asked questions about how to bake chicken:
For best results, bake boneless, skinless chicken breasts uncovered (without foil). This will help the chicken evenly cook and the tops will brown nicely. If the top of the chicken gets too brown before the internal temperature reaches 165, cover the baking dish or pan with foil to keep the chicken from over-browning.
The best way to keep chicken moist in the oven is to NOT overcook the chicken. Internal temperature of chicken will need to be 165 degrees. As soon as this internal temperature is reached, remove from the oven promptly. Other ways to keep chicken moist is to roast/bake with other ingredients like tomatoes or vegetables. Also, coating or marinating the chicken prior to cooking helps keep the chicken moist and flavorful.
Yes, as long as the chicken and marinade have been adequately refrigerated. For best results, bake or grill marinated chicken once it has been removed (but still evenly coated) from marinade.
Need more chicken dinner ideas? Check out my other delicious chicken recipes:
- Chicken Tortellini Alfredo
- Baked Chicken Quarters
- Honey Dijon Chicken
- Baked Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- Honey Sesame Chicken
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken Pasta
- Lemon Pepper Grilled Chicken
- Brown Sugar Balsamic Grilled Chicken
- Pineapple Grilled Chicken
- Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken
- BBQ Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
- Grilled Caprese Chicken
- Grilled Boneless Chicken Thighs
- Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo
If you loved this chicken recipe, check out some of these other recipe ideas:
Italian Dressing ingredients:
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1/4 c. red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (juice of 1 lemon)
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
Baked Italian Chicken:
- 1.5 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved (about 2 cups)
- 1 (10 oz.) jar, marinated artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 cup orzo pasta, cooked to package directions (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- While oven is preheating, mix together the homemade Italian dressing in a small bowl or glass measuring cup. To do this, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, garlic powder, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, garlic salt and pepper. Set dressing aside.
- Lightly spray a 12" baking dish (you can also use a 9x13" baking dish or pan) with non-stick spray. To the bottom of the baking dish/pan, add the halved cherry tomatoes and the artichoke hearts that have been removed from their brine.
- Place the chicken breasts on top of the tomatoes and artichokes. Pour the prepared Italian dressing over the top of the chicken, making sure to coat evenly.
- Bake uncovered at 425 degrees for 25-28 minutes or until internal temperature of the thickest chicken breast reads 165 degrees. (See notes for additional baking times/chicken options.) While chicken is baking, cook orzo pasta according to package directions. (If you choose to serve with orzo.)
- Once chicken is done baking, remove from oven and transfer chicken breasts to cutting board. Let rest for 5 minutes. Add the cooked orzo pasta to the cooked tomatoes and artichokes and stir to combine. Slice the chicken breasts and serve with the tomato and artichoke orzo on the side. Top with fresh grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Baking Times for Chicken:
Note that chicken boneless, skinless chicken breast sizes vary greatly. For medium 5-6 oz, thinly cut chicken breasts, you will likely only need 18-20 minutes for baking at 425 degrees.
For larger, thicker 8 oz + chicken breast sizes (what I used here/photographed), you'll need a longer baking time to ensure doneness. These chicken breasts will need 25-28 minutes to cook thoroughly.
To ensure doneness of chicken, I highly recommend using an instant-read digital thermometer. Recommended internal temperature of chicken is 165 degrees.
Using boneless Chicken Thighs? Thighs are a great option, and are typically a thinner cut of chicken. These will need approximately 18-22 minutes at 425 degrees. Again, to ensure doneness of chicken, use an instant-read digital thermometer.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 6 oz chicken
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 477Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 145mgSodium: 351mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 56g