Do you love the coconut and pecan flavors of German chocolate cake? Enjoy that decadent, delicious frosting paired with fudgy, rich brownies in this German Chocolate Brownies recipe. Much easier than making a layer cake and just as delicious!
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Do you know someone that loves the rich, delicious flavors of German chocolate cake? That delicious coconut pecan frosting is incredible topped on fudgy brownies in this easy German chocolate brownies recipe.
In this post I’ll show you how easy it is to make incredible fudgy, rich brownies from scratch as well as making that delicious German chocolate frosting to top your brownies. It’s way better than any store-bought mix or canned frosting.
What do I need to make German chocolate brownies?
Here’s a quick-reference check list of the ingredients you’ll need to make these brownies:
- Butter – either salted or unsalted butter can be used.
- Granulated Sugar – standard, white granulated sugar.
- Eggs – large eggs that are room temperature are ideal.
- Vanilla extract – use good quality extract, not vanilla flavoring.
- Cocoa powder – use as good of quality as you can afford.
- All-purpose flour – you could also substitute a gluten-free flour, like King Arthur.
- Salt – critical for enhancing the flavor of the chocolate.
- Baking powder – this is an essential leavening. Don’t leave this out!
For the German Chocolate Frosting:
- Eggs – specifically, for the frosting, you’ll be using just the yolks.
- Evaporated milk – found in the baking aisle. Note that this is NOT sweetened condensed milk.
- Brown sugar – I used light brown sugar, but you could also substitute a dark brown sugar.
- Sweetened flake coconut – Can be found in the baking aisle near the packaged nuts.
- Pecans – Essential for any German chocolate frosting recipe. Don’t leave these out.
- Mini chocolate chips – these are optional, but are a great topping and lend to the delicious chocolate flavors.
For exact ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions, be sure to scroll down to the bottom of this post to the recipe card. Thanks!
How do I make German chocolate brownies?
- Begin by mixing the wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls. For the wet ingredients; melted butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Whisk together well until creamy. For the dry ingredients whisk together the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and salt.
- Gradually whisk together the dry ingredient with the wet ingredients. Once all are well incorporated, you’ll have a very thick brownie batter.
- Pour the batter into a prepared 9×9″ pan and bake at 325 for 33-35 minutes. Once done baking, let the brownies cool completely before frosting.
What is German chocolate frosting made of?
Coconut pecan frosting, otherwise known as German chocolate frosting, is made of egg yolks, evaporated milk, brown sugar, butter, sweetened flake coconut and pecans.
How do you make German chocolate frosting?
German chocolate frosting needs to be cooked in a saucepan. Start by whisking together egg yolks, evaporated milk and brown sugar. Then add butter and heat over low heat until the butter melts. Bring to a low simmer and cook while stirring often.
Once done cooking the mixture will resemble a caramel-like sauce. Stir in the sweetened flake coconut and pecans. Let the frosting cool completely before adding the frosting to brownies or a cake.
Helpful tips and tricks for baking brownies:
- Always let brownies cool completely before cutting. I know it’s hard to resist, but cutting hot or warm brownies will result in tearing the bars.
- When frosting brownies with coconut pecan frosting, be sure the brownies and the frosting have cooled. This will ensure the frosting doesn’t separate or become oily once on the brownies.
- Using a non-stick baking pan, like this OXO 9×9″ Non-Stick Cake Pan is very helpful in removing brownies and bars with ease. You can also line the pan with parchment paper or spray with non-stick baking spray.
Can I use this recipe to make brownie bites?
Yes. You can use this recipe to make German chocolate brownie bites.
Instead of a 9×9″ use a mini-muffin pan. Lightly spray with non-stick baking spray or use mini-muffin liners. Fill the cups 3/4 full with batter and bake at 325 for 18-20 minutes. Let the brownie bites cool completely before adding the German chocolate frosting.
Do you love coconut? Check out some of my other recipes that feature coconut:
- Coconut Cream Poke Cake
- Coconut Cream Pound Cake
- Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
- Coconut Cream Pie
- Coconut Margarita
- Watermelon Coconut Rum Punch
Love brownies and cookie bars? Check out some of my other delicious chocolaty treats:
German Chocolate Brownies
If you love the flavors of German chocolate cake, then these German chocolate brownies are for you. Made with a homemade German chocolate frosting that top fudgy, delicious brownies.
- 3/4 c. (1 1/2 sticks) butter, melted
- 1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 c. cocoa powder
- 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
Coconut Pecan Frosting:
- 2/3 c. evaporated milk
- 2/3 c. brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 c. butter
- 1 1/3 c. sweetened flake coconut
- 2/3 c. chopped pecans
- 1/2 c. semi-sweet mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly spray a 9x9" pan with non-stick baking spray. Set aside.
- In a microwave safe mixing bowl, melt the butter. To the melted butter, add the sugar, eggs and vanilla. Whisk together to mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, using a whisk to mix together. Batter will be very thick.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, and spread evenly. Bake for 33-35 minutes at 325 degrees. Remove brownies from oven and let cool to room temperature.
- While the brownies bake, make the coconut pecan frosting. In a medium sauce pan, whisk together the evaporated milk, brown sugar and egg yolks. Then, add the butter. Add saucepan to stovetop and heat over medium-low heat to melt the butter. Whisk or stir often to incorporate the butter as it melts. Once butter is completely melted, bring to a low simmer and cook for 8-10 minutes stirring often.
- Once cooked, remove from heat and stir in the coconut and pecans. Let frosting cool completely.
- Once brownies and frosting have cooled to room temperature, spread the frosting over the top of the brownies. Top with additional chopped pecans and mini chocolate chips, if desired.
For Brownie Bites:
Add brownie batter to a mini-muffin tin that has been sprayed with non-stick baking spray. You can also use mini-liners. Fill cups 3/4 full with batter and bake at 325 for 18-20 minutes. Let brownie bites cool for 10 minutes in pan, then using a table knife, remove from pan and cool on a baking rack. Brownie bites should be completely cool before adding German chocolate frosting.
Tips for Slicing: Frosting and brownies will hold their shape the best when chilled, then cut.
If preparing this recipe for an event or gathering, I recommend making the day before, and chilling in the refrigerator overnight. Cut the brownies just before serving.
Storage: For best results, keep the brownies in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Refrigerated, brownies will keep for up to 5 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pyrex Smart Essentials 3-Piece Prepware Mixing Bowl Set, 1-Qt, 1.5-Qt ,and 2.5-Qt Glass Mixing Bowls, Dishwasher, Microwave and Freezer Safe
HOTEC Food Grade Silicone Rubber Spatula Set for Kitchen Baking, Cooking, and Mixing High Heat Resistant Non Stick Dishwasher Safe BPA-Free Multicolor Set of 5 Grey
OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Pro Cake Pan Square 9 x 9 Inch
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 297Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 118mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 3gSugar: 33gProtein: 4g
Speak Your Mind