The BEST Coconut Margarita Recipe!
If you loved my pineapple margarita and skinny margarita recipe, then you’ll love this Coconut Margarita recipe! Made with just 5 simple ingredients, and no sugary syrups or mixes, this coconut lime margarita will be your new favorite cocktail!
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Just 5 ingredients to make this EASY Coconut Margarita Recipe!
If you love going out for a restaurant margarita, but not all of the sugar and calories that come with it, then this coconut margarita is a must-try! Made with just 5 simple ingredients, this super fresh, delicious coconut lime margarita is fantastic for enjoying on Taco Tuesday or happy hour at home.
I’m also including two different ways to make this coconut margarita recipe; frozen/blended or on-the-rocks.
Both versions take less than 5 minutes to make, which means happy hour is just minutes away!
Here’s all the tips, pointers and FAQ’s you might have about making these Coconut Margaritas:
Like this recipe? Be sure to pin it to your COCKTAIL AND DRINKS board!
Follow DelightfulEMade on Pinterest!
What makes a margarita a margarita?
A margarita is a tequila based drink, served either blended/frozen or over ice (on-the-rocks.) The ratio of a margarita is the following: 2 parts tequila, 1 part Cointreau (or Triple Sec), 1 part fresh lime juice.
When it comes to the lime juice, I don’t recommend doing the bottled stuff. Fresh lime juice is so much better and is much more flavorful.
You will need a good citrus juicer – I like this one from Amazon. It is really durable, dishwasher safe and has withstood the test of time, and probably 100’s of margaritas at our house.
What do I need to make a coconut margarita?
Here’s a quick-reference shopping list of the ingredients you’ll need to make coconut margaritas:
- Cointreau or Triple Sec (these are orange liqueurs, necessary for balancing the flavor of a margarita)
- Lime Juice
- Coconut Milk – comes in a can, found in International Foods section. I like Goya brand.
- Cream of Coconut – comes in a can, found in International Foods section. I like Goya brand.
Note: if you are like me and not doing refined sugar in your diet, you can skip the cream of coconut (which contains refined sugar.) In this case you will double the coconut milk from 1 oz., to 2 oz.
What tequila is best for margaritas?
According to Delish, there are many, many recommended tequilas for margaritas. Tequila can get expensive, so just choose the best brand that you can afford.
We like Herradura Reposado, which is one of the recommended tequilas on Delish’s list!
What is better in a margarita Cointreau or Triple Sec?
After much testing, it is clear that Cointreau is much better in a margarita. Cointreau is an orange liqueur, made with sweet and bitter rinds of orange.
It pairs well with the lime juice and tequila, and balances the acidity well.
How do I make a frozen coconut margarita?
- To make a blended margarita you will need a blender. For this coconut margarita recipe, simply add 1 1/2 cups of ice to your blender, along with the tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, coconut milk and cream of coconut.
- Then, blend until smooth. See the recipe below for exact ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions.
I love my Blendtec Designer Series Blender for making frozen drinks like this coconut margarita recipe. It blends the ice with ease and creates a wonderfully smooth cocktail.
In the market for a new blender? Check out this Blendtec and get a 20% discount using my discount code: DELIGHTFULEMADE
How do I salt the rim of a glass for a margarita?
First, cut a slice of lime, and run the juicy part of the lime around the rim of the glass making it wet. Next, dip the wetted edges of the glass into salt.
I like Jose Cuervo Margarita Salt for rimming my margarita glasses.
Love coconut anything? Check out some of my other coconut recipes:
- Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
- Skinny Malibu Pina Coladas
- Coconut Cream Poke Cake
- Almond Joy Overnight Oats
- Chocolate Coconut Baked Oatmeal
- Coconut Cream Pie
- Coconut Pound Cake
If you loved this delicious coconut lime margarita, check out some of my other cocktail recipes:
- How to Make a Skinny Margarita
- Raspberry Margarita
- Pineapple Margarita
- Mango Margaritas
- Strawberry Lime Margaritas
- Strawberry Tequila Sunrise at Real Housemoms
- Pina Colada Champagne Punch
- Watermelon Coconut Rum Punch
- Blueberry Coconut Mojitos
Here’s the recipe for my Coconut Margarita Recipe – Blended or On-the-Rocks:
- 2 oz. tequila, good quality
- 1 oz. Cointreau citrus liqueur
- 1 oz. fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 oz. coconut milk
- 1 oz. cream of coconut
- Lime slices
- Unsweetened flake coconut
- Blended/Frozen Instructions: To a blender add 1 1/2 cups of ice, tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, coconut milk and cream of coconut. Blend until smooth. Pour into prepared glass and garnish with lime slices and coconut flakes. Enjoy right away while cold.
- On-The-Rocks Instructions: To a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add the tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, coconut milk and cream of coconut. Fit with lid, and shake well. Fill prepared rocks glass with ice. Pour/strain cocktail into glass over the ice. Top with lime and flake coconut, if desired. Enjoy right away while cold.
Want a lower-sugar option? Omit the cream of coconut (this contains a good amount of refined/added sugar.) Substitute with coconut milk. Recipe will now call for 2 oz. coconut milk.