This Vegetable Beef and Barley Soup recipe will be your new favorite way to warm up in the winter! Loaded with fresh veggies, this delicious beef and barley soup is easy to make and completely delicious!
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Your new favorite beef and barley soup recipe!
This Vegetable Beef & Barley Soup is the ultimate way to warm up after a long, cold winter day. Healthy, hearty and loaded with big chunks of sirloin steak and vegetables, this delicious soup recipe will quickly become a family favorite.
When its the dead of winter, a big pot of soup becomes absolutely necessary. After a long, cold day soup is always the perfect way to warm up your body and soul.
This Vegetable Beef & Barley Soup is most definitely my new favorite winter time recipe. Because of the big chunks of steak and hearty vegetables, it’s healthy and filling.
Here’s how this delicious Vegetable Beef & Barley Soup is made:
Step 1: Brown the Sirloin Steak
In a large Dutch oven or stock pot, add some olive oil, and brown the meat. It should be cooked nearly all the way through, with only a little pink remaining.
Remove the browned meat from the pot and transfer to a bowl to keep warm.
Step 2: Saute the Vegetables
To the same pot, add the vegetables over medium high heat. Saute for 5-7 minutes or until the onions become slightly translucent.
Step 3: Add the rest of the ingredients to the stock pot
Once the vegetables have cooked, add the beef back to the pot, and all the remaining ingredients. You’ll bring the beef and barley soup to a low boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low.
The soup will simmer for approximately 15 minutes.
Pro-tip: Be sure to check the package directions of the barley for accurate cook times. I recommend getting quick-cook barley to keep the cook time low. However, if the barley is not quick-cook, expect the cook time to increase to 45-50 minutes.
Step 4: Serve and Enjoy!
Once the barley and beef soup has finished simmering, it’s ready to enjoy! Ladle into bowls and top with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese or enjoy with some of my Easy Cheesy Breadsticks, which are perfect for dipping.
In addition to the carrots, celery and onions, mushrooms would be a fantastic addition to this soup. Much like my Slow Cooker Sirloin Beef Stew, the mushrooms would add some additional heartiness to the soup.
This soup is also fantastic as a meal prep option. Great for making on the weekend, and bringing to work as a healthy lunch.
If you loved this delicious Beef & Barley Soup, then check out some of my other soup and dinner recipes:
- Vegetable Beef Stir Fry
- Healthy Turkey Chili Recipe
- Healthy Chicken Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Olive Garden Pasta Fagioli Soup
- Healthy Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe
- Slow Cooker Sausage & Lentil Soup
- Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker Sirloin Beef Stew
- Healthy Unstuffed Peppers with Ground Beef
- Ground Beef Tacos with EASY homemade taco seasoning
- Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef Barbacoa
Here are a few must-have tools I use to make this healthy and easy soup recipe:
Le Creuset Signature Enameled Cast-Iron 9-Quart Round French (Dutch) Oven, Marseille Blue (Amazon link): This is my very favorite soup pot! Le Creuset is renowned not only for it’s beautiful cookware, but for its durability and longevity.
Wusthof Classic Hollow Edge Santoku Knife 7, 7″, Black (Amazon Link): My Santoku knife is always my go-to knife for cutting vegetables. It’s the perfect size, stays sharp and may just be my favorite knife in the block!
Here’s the recipe for my delicious Vegetable Beef & Barley Soup:
- 1 lb. sirloin steak, trimmed and cubed
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 c. celery, chopped
- 1 c. carrots, chopped
- 1/4 c. tomato paste
- 1 c. quick-cook barley
- 32 oz. carton, beef broth
- 1 c. water
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, add the olive oil, and heat to medium-high heat. Add sirloin and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brown until cooked through. Remove beef from pot and place in separate bowl to keep warm.
- To the hot stock pot, add the garlic, onion, celery and carrots. Saute in pan for 5-7 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add the beef back to the pot, and add the tomato paste, barley, beef broth, water, thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Over medium-high heat, bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
Be sure to reference cooking directions for the barley you purchase. If the barley is not quick-cook, be sure to adjust the simmering time to adequately cook the barley. Depending on the barley you purchase, this could be as long as 45-50 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1966Total Fat: 60gSaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 207mgSodium: 10900mgCarbohydrates: 189gSugar: 18gProtein: 164g