Looking for a healthy chicken enchilada soup recipe? This easy chicken enchilada soup recipe is made with simple ingredients, including pre-cooked rotisserie chicken, and is just 182 calories per serving. Makes for a easy weeknight recipe and perfect for making on your meal prep Sunday!
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
If you love chicken enchilada soup, but want a healthy option, this healthy chicken enchilada soup recipe is for you! With just 182 calories per serving, it’s fantastic as a light lunch or dinner option and great for meal prep!
Made with super simple ingredients and pre-cooked rotisserie chicken, this easy soup recipe comes together quickly. This soup can also be refrigerated or frozen into individual portions for easy meal prep!
What you’ll need to make this chicken enchilada soup recipe:
- Olive oil
- Yellow Onion
- Bell Peppers – any color
- Garlic – I use jarred, minced garlic to save myself time and the hassle of peeling cloves of garlic.
- Low-sodium chicken broth
- Enchilada sauce, try my homemade red enchilada sauce recipe
- Diced tomatoes, canned
- Chopped green chilis, canned
- Spices: cumin, chili powder and black pepper
- Pre-cooked, shredded chicken – store-bought rotisserie chicken works well!
- Lime juice
For exact ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions be sure to scroll down to the bottom of the post for the recipe. Thanks!
First steps to making this chicken enchilada soup:
Start by dicing your bell peppers and onion. Add the olive oil to the bottom of a large Dutch oven or stock pot, and heat over medium high heat.
Cook the peppers and onions until the onions are nearly translucent, then add the garlic and sauté for 2 more minutes. This mixture should be stirred often.
Once the peppers, onions and garlic are done sauteing, you can then add the chicken, tomatoes, chilis, enchilada sauce, spices and broth. Stir well and heat over medium-high heat until the mixture comes to a boil.
Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
Once done simmering, add the fresh lime juice to the soup and stir in. This will give the soup a subtle, fresh flavor.
Ingredient Substitutions and Recommendations:
- Chicken – pre-cooked rotisserie chicken works really well in this recipe and is a big time-saver. To save even more time, Costco offers pre-cooked, shredded rotisserie chicken, which is great in soups. See all of my 15 Foods I Love from Costco for Healthy Meals and Snacks
- Enchilada sauce – I prefer using my red enchilada sauce recipe. However if you want to buy sauce, look for one with no or very low refined, added sugar.
- Spices – you could also use 1 Tbsp of taco seasoning for this recipe, instead of the cumin, chili powder and pepper. Again, watch your labels for things like added sugar or artificial fillers. Try out my super easy Homemade Taco Seasoning, which is great to keep on hand for recipes like this.
For exact ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions be sure to scroll down to the recipe at the bottom of the post. Thanks!
Frequently asked questions about Chicken Enchilada Soup:
This healthy chicken enchilada soup recipe has just 182 calories for a 1 1/2 cup serving. Adding toppings like cheese, avocados and sour cream will increase the calories.
Chicken enchilada soup is made of diced peppers, onions, chilis, chicken broth, shredded chicken, diced tomatoes, enchilada sauce, lime juice and spices.
Create a “slurry” by combining 2 tbsp of corn starch to 2 tablespoon of water. Stir until the corn starch is completely combined. Slowly and gradually pour into the soup and stir. Soup should thicken quickly.
What can I top my chicken enchilada soup with?
- Sliced or cubed avocado
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges for fresh lime juice
- Sliced jalapeños
- Sour cream
- Mexican blend cheese
- Southwestern Corn Salsa
- Classic Pico de Gallo Salsa
- Loaded Guacamole
If you loved this chicken enchilada soup recipe, check out these other similar posts:
Check out more of my Tex-Mex recipes:
- Shredded Chicken Enchiladas
- Sour Cream Ground Beef Enchiladas
- Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken
- Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa (Mexican Shredded Beef)
- 10-Minute Ground Beef Tacos
- Cowboy Nacho Bites at Real Housemoms
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 bell peppers, any color, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 1 (32 oz.) carton, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10 oz.) can, red enchilada sauce
- 1 (14.5 oz) can, diced tomatoes
- 1 (4.5 oz) can, diced green chilis, mild
- 12 oz. cooked, shredded chicken, about 2 1/2 cups (rotisserie chicken works well)
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- juice of 1 medium lime, about 2 Tbsp.
- To a large stock pot or Dutch oven, add the olive oil and heat over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes. Add the diced peppers and onions and sauté for 5-7 minutes, stirring often, until onions are mostly translucent. Add the minced garlic and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- To the pepper mixture, add the chicken broth, enchilada sauce, chilis, diced tomatoes, chicken and spices. Stir to incorporate and heat over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Once at a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and stir in the lime juice. Let soup cool for 5 minute before ladling into bowls. Top with your favorite enchilada toppings, like avocados, cilantro, Mexican blend cheese and/or sour cream.
Leftovers will keep in an airtight container, refrigerated for up to 5-7 days.
Meal Prepping this soup? Let soup cool for 15 minutes. Ladle into meal-prep containers or mason jars. Portions can be refrigerated for up to 5-7 days.
Freezing this soup? Soup will do best portioned into smaller containers and frozen. When ready to eat, let soup defrost in refrigerator for 24-48 hours. Reheat in microwave or on stovetop.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 182Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 481mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 2gSugar: 9gProtein: 16g