I’ve been craving something cinnamon spicy. Something sweet, but not overly sugary. I decided to make my Apple Cider Spice Cake with Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting. However, after making it from my original recipe using apple pie filling, I experienced a disappointing baking fail – only half the cake came out of the pan. After this happened, I decided to adapt my original recipe to use fresh apples instead of the pie filling. It was a huge success!
My craving was completely satisfied! The cake is moist, delicious and with the fresh Granny Smith apples, it adds a bit of tart flavor and texture to the sweet cake. The Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting is the perfect way to top this cake! This creamy, gooey frosting compliments the spice cake wonderfully and with a sprinkle of freshly ground nutmeg on top rounds out the flavors perfectly.
This cake is really easy, as it comes together in just a few steps. The recipe utilizes a cake mix and I add a few extra goodies like applesauce, apple cider and sour cream to keep the cake moist and delicious.
This cake is perfect for just about any occasion – a fall get-together, pot-luck, church social, or just something for you and your family at home. Here’s the easy recipe:
- 1 (15.25 oz.) Spice Cake Mix (like Betty Crocker)
- 1¼ c. Spiced Apple Cider
- ⅓ c. cinnamon applesauce
- ⅓ c. sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 2 small apples, peeled, cored and cut into small chunks
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- ½ c. butter (1 stick), room temperature
- 4 oz. cream cheese (1/2 brick), room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 18 caramels (like Kraft or Brach's) plus 1 Tbsp. milk for melting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a bundt pan, making sure to hit the sides of the pan firmly to remove excess flour. Set aside.
- In mixing bowl, combine cake mix, cider, apple sauce, sour cream and eggs. Mix for about 2 minutes on low, until thoroughly combine and smooth. In a small bowl, combine the apple chunks and sprinkle with the flour. Mix to coat the apples. Fold in the apple chunks into the batter. Pour batter evenly in the prepared bundt pan.
- Bake at 350 for 43-46 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5-10 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the cake to loosen, then invert the cake onto a plate to cool completely.
- Frosting Instructions:
- In microwave safe bowl, unwrap caramels and add milk. Microwave for 45 sec -1 minute. Stir, and microwave for 30 more seconds or until melted and smooth, being careful not to overcook. Set aside and let cool while making the rest of the frosting. With stand or hand mixer, cream together butter, cream cheese and vanilla. Gradually add the sugar one cup at a time. Then add the slightly cooled, melted caramel. Caramel should be warm, but not hot. Mix together caramel and frosting until smooth. Drizzle or frost your cake once it's completely cooled.