Pumpkin Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
The perfect fall dessert! This Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is a super simple, delicious pumpkin cake recipe perfect for any occasion. Similar to my carrot cake sheet cake, this pumpkin sheet cake is perfect for Thanksgiving dinner, Friendsgiving or any get-together.
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The BEST Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
When it comes to fall desserts, a great pumpkin cake recipe is always at the top of my list. Any type of cinnamon crumble, streusel or glaze is great, but a thick, delicious layer of cream cheese frosting is definitely my preference.
Do you agree? If so, these Pumpkin Sheet Cake with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting will be your new fall fave!
Here are the simple steps for making this delicious Pumpkin Sheet Cake:
What do I need to make a pumpkin cake?
For this pumpkin sheet cake recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Flour – for this recipe we used simple all-purpose flour. However you could substitute cake flour or even a gluten free flour, like King Arthur Gluten Free Baking Mix flour.
- Granulated sugar – this is necessary for making the cake sweet. To cut the calories in the cake you could substitute a granular monk fruit sweetener, like Whole Earth or Lakanto.
- Baking Powder – a necessary leavening for baking a cake.
- Baking Soda – another essential leavening. This will help your cake rise.
- Salt – necessary for achieving a balanced flavor. Don’t leave out the salt!
- Cinnamon – ground cinnamon is the ideal spice for baking anything pumpkin.
- Nutmeg – like cinnamon, ground nutmeg will giving you a wonderful fall flavor in the cake.
- Pumpkin Puree- make sure to purchase 100% pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling. these are two very different products.
- Vegetable oil – when baking a cake, using vegetable oil instead of butter is the best way to achieve a super moist cake texture.
- Eggs – room temperature, large eggs are ideal for cake baking.
- Vanilla extract – using a good quality pure vanilla extract is essential in achieving a premium bakery-style flavor in the cake.
For exact ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions be sure to scroll down to the bottom of this post to the recipe card. Thanks!
Mix the pumpkin cake batter
The batter is made by mixing the dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately, and the mixed together gradually. I did this by hand, but feel free to use a hand or stand mixer to make the work go quicker.
Spread the batter evenly into a 15 x 10 x 1″ pan that has been lightly sprayed with non-stick baking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 26-28 minutes.
Just like any other cake, test by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean and crumb-free, the cake is done.
Mix the Cream Cheese Frosting
While the cake cools, it’s a good time to mix the cream cheese frosting. Making a homemade cream cheese frosting is very simple, and needs just a few ingredients.
For cream cheese frosting, you’ll need room temperature butter, cream cheese, vanilla extract and powdered sugar. You’ll also need a hand or stand mixer to create a super smooth frosting consistency.
This delicious cream cheese frosting is nothing short of spectacular! With just a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, this frosting compliments the pumpkin cake perfectly. I also use this cream cheese frosting on my Carrot Bundt Cake and Carrot Cake Sheet Cake.
Using a hand or stand mixer, start by creaming together the butter, cream cheese and vanilla. Gradually add in the powdered sugar one cup at a time, and add in the cinnamon at the end.
For a slightly thicker frosting, simply add more powdered sugar.
FAQ’s for making pumpkin sheet cake
Pumpkin cake can sit out at room temperature, but will only keep for a couple of days. I recommend refrigerating pumpkin cake, especially if it is topped with cream cheese frosting. Store the cake in an airtight container. This will keep the cake moist and the frosting set. Refrigerated, a pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting will keep for up to 7 days.
This pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting will keep refrigerated for up to 7 days. Store the cake slices in an airtight container to keep the cake moist and fresh. When ready to re-serve, let cake & frosting come to room temperature.
Pumpkin cake is typically made of flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin puree, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract.
Many agree that a pumpkin cake is best served with a cream cheese frosting. Try adding a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon to the frosting to create a complimentary cinnamon cream cheese frosting.
What can I serve with pumpkin cake?
A pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting is great served with any coffee or tea. Here are a few of our favorite drinks that would go well with pumpkin sheet cake:
- Chai Tea Latte Recipe
- Caramel Brulee Latte
- Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Frappuccino
- Iced Vanilla Latte
- White Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Latte
What tools do I need to bake a sheet cake?
When baking a sheet cake at home, you’ll need a 15 x10″ pan, a hand or stand mixer to mix the batter and frosting, and frosting spatulas for spreading the cream cheese frosting.
Here are some useful tools that will help you create this pumpkin cake recipe:
- OXO 15 x 10 x 1″ Rimmed Baking Pan
- Cake Decorating Angled Icing Spatulas
- Kitchen-Aid 5 Qt. Stand Mixer
- Kitchen-Aid Hand Mixer
If you love this delicious pumpkin cake recipe, check out some of my other similar recipes:
- No Bake Pumpkin Pie
- Cream Cheese Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Spice Sugar Cookie Bars
- Caramel Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting & Filling
- No Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
- Pumpkin Caramel Cream Cheese Poke Cake
- Layered Pumpkin Dessert
- Better Than Starbucks Pumpkin Loaf
- Pumpkin Spice Waffles
- Starbucks Pumpkin Scones
Be sure to check out some of my other cake recipes:
- Buttermilk Chocolate Cake
- Zucchini Cake Recipe with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Red Velvet Sheet Cake
- Buttermilk Sheet Cake with Chocolate Frosting
- Chocolate Poke Cake
Here’s the recipe for my Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 (15 oz.) can, pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 c. vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/2 c. butter, room temperature (1 stick)
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 15x10x1" pan with non-stick baking spray. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Set aside
- In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients: pumpkin, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla. Whisk together until smooth.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Batter will be slightly thick. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 26-28 minutes. Text with a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake - if the toothpick comes out clean, and crumb-free the cake is done.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the frosting. Using a hand or stand mixer, cream together the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla. Begin adding the powdered sugar one cup at a time, stopping the mixer to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add in the cinnamon and mix well. Frosting should be thick.
- Once cake is completely cool, frost the top of the cake with the cinnamon cream cheese frosting. Slice into bars and serve right away. Cover and refrigerate any leftovers.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cake Icing Spatula Set of 4 Packs(10"+8"+6"+4") and Cake Smoother Scraper Set of 3 Packs, Professional Stainless Steel Offset Spatula with Wooden Handle
Cuisinart Hand Mixer, HM-90BCS Power Advantage Plus 9-Speed, with Storage Case, Brushed Chrome
Wilton Performance Baking Pans Aluminum Jelly Roll Pan, 10.5 x 15.5-Inch
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 358Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 227mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 1gSugar: 39gProtein: 3g