Red Velvet Cake Parfaits

Red Velvet Cake Parfaits
Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest21.8kShare on Yummly109Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+2Share on StumbleUpon0
Red Velvet Cake Parfaits by DelightfulEMade

Red Velvet Cake Parfaits by DelightfulEMade

Over a year ago, I was making a lovely bundt cake to take to a baby shower.  It was going to be so pretty!  I took it out of the oven, let it cool slightly, just like you’re supposed to.  I ran my knife around the edges to loosen the cake – so far so good.  And then the moment of truth…I invert the cake and hear the “plop” onto the cake plate.  I turn the bundt pan right side up, to realize only half the cake came out of the pan.  Nooooo!!!

After learning from this experience, I now ALWAYS grease and flour my bundt pan.  Non-stick baking spray did not cut it on the day of the baby shower.  However, I was now faced with the dilemma of what to take to the baby shower, as I was supposed to bring a dessert.  The cake was perfectly edible (although quite ugly!) as it was in multiple pieces on the cooling rack.  One word popped into my head – Parfaits!!

Red Velvet Cake Parfaits by DelightfulEMade

Red Velvet Cake Parfaits by DelightfulEMade

Luckily, I had a few extra ingredients in my fridge to make these fabulous Red Velvet Cake Parfaits.  A perfect dessert, especially when your cake doesn’t turn out so “perfect”.  These are super easy to make, and come together beautifully in any glass, clear dish or even mason jars!  The cake uses a simple cake mix, and complemented by a deliciously sweet cream cheese filling.  I now make a cake just to purposely break apart for this fun, delicious dessert!  Here’s how they come together:

5.0 from 2 reviews
Red Velvet Cake Parfaits
Recipe type: Dessert
Cuisine: American
Serves: 6-12
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
A beautiful and simple dessert great for a special occasion or a fun treat for the family.
  • 1 Red Velvet Cake Mix
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 c. water
  • ⅓ c. vegetable oil
  • For the filling:
  • 1 (8oz) pkg. Neufchatel cheese, (or cream cheese), softened
  • ½ stick (1/4 c.), butter
  • ¾ c. half and half
  • 2 c. powdered sugar
  • ½ c. sour cream
  • ¼ c. milk
  • ½ tsp. vanilla
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
  2. In a mixing bowl, combine cake with with eggs, water and oil. Beat for 30 sec. on low, then stop to scrape down the sides. Beat for 1-2 more minutes or until the batter is smooth. Pour into pan and bake at 350 for 22-25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Set cake aside to cool.
  3. In a mixing bowl, beat together Neufchatel cheese, butter, and half and half. Beat until smooth. While continuing to beat, gradually add the powdered sugar. Beat in the sour cream, milk and vanilla. Will resemble a custard consistency.
  4. In the glass containers of your choosing, break cake into small pieces at the bottom of the container leaving a one inch layer. Add a layer of the custard. Then another layer of cake, and another of the custard. Repeat in all containers. Top with whipped topping, sprinkles or a chocolate. Will make 12 small parfaits or 6 large.
  5. Refrigerate and serve.

These parfaits are perfect for a fun Valentine’s Day dessert, topped off with a fun Valentine’s day chocolate heart.  You could even put them in small clear plastic cups and would be great as a classroom treat or bake sale goodie!

Either way you serve these, they will be a hit with adults and kids.  Enjoy!

1. Marlena says:

This looks so pretty and so yummy!!! We have friends coming over for dinner this weekend and I was just wondering what might be a fun dessert to serve. This looks perfect!! Thanks so much, Erin – I’m really loving your blog!

• [email protected] says:

Hey Marlena! Yes, these are a fun dessert, that are easy to make and look “extra special”. Yummy, too! Hope you’re doing well, my friend. Enjoy!

2. Rachel says:

I had a similar problem with Maddie ‘s first birthday cake : )
    I turned it into cake balls, do you remember them at Cox farm Pumpkin patch,
    : )

• [email protected] says:

I Rach, I definitely remember that day. That was the first day I met you, and I remember the cake balls, too. Good times! 🙂

3. This looks fabulous Erin! Love red velvet!!

4. Looks so delicious! I love red velvet!

5. these look delicious. I love the idea of serving them in wine glasses so romantic and classy!

• [email protected] says:

Thanks so much, Krysle! Yes, the glasses are great, as you get to see the layers of cake and custard – and definitely romantic, too! 😉

6. These are beautiful! I love Red Velvet anything.

7. These are beautiful! I haven’t made any red velvet recipes, but I love looking at them 🙂 Pinning this to my Valentine’s board!

8. I am just loving these beautiful parfaits! Pinned!

9. What a gorgeous dessert, and awesome save! 🙂

10. Ohhh these parfaits look so good!!!! What a great idea to use red velvet cake, sounds absolutely delicious!!! YUM!!

11. This is very creative, making a parfait with the RV action! Thank you so much for sharing this parfait with all of us this past week at the SSS party… and I’m choosing to feature this in the morning! See you there! (=

• [email protected] says:

Thanks so much Gloria!! You totally made my Saturday morning! Have a wonderful weekend! ~Erin

12. What a great use for a crumbled cake….these look amazingly delicious!! Just wanted to let you know I’m featuring you tonight at Saturday Night Fever!

• [email protected] says:

Thanks so much, Cathy!!

13. These look beautiful and delicious. I love that you served them in wine glasses, so creative! I’d love for you to share them with us at Sewlicious Home Decor. We love treats like this!

14. Elaine says:

Perfect for July 4th desert just add Blueberries on top for your Red White and Blue 🙂

• [email protected] says:

You’re right, Elaine!! These would be awesome for July 4th! Have a wonderful holiday weekend. ~Erin

15. Dee Garrettson says:

How far ahead can these be made and kept in the fridge? I’m hostess for a party and I can’t have anything that has to be served as soon as you make it.

• [email protected] says:

You could make them up to a day in advance. Definitely a great make-ahead dessert and perfect for a party. Enjoy!

16. Mindie says:

how do you thicken the frosting??

• [email protected] says:

To thicken, simply add more powdered sugar until you reach the desired consistency.

17. Hiba Halasa says:

soooo yummmy , can you pls advise what is the 3/4 c. half and half ?

1. […] Red Velvet Cake Parfaits ~ Delightful E Made […]

2. […] Day Treat Table from Our Thrifty Ideas Valentine’s Dinner at Home from Just Us Four Red Velvet Cake Parfaits from Delightful Made Brownie Whoopie Pies from Mommy Musings Decadent Raspberry Truffle Brownies […]

3. […] excited would your kids be to have these Red Velvet Cake Parfaits in fancy glasses for dessert on Canada Day? Delightful E Made shares the delicious recipe with us […]

4. […] Corn Salsa :: DelightfulEMade Buffalo Chicken Salad Skewers :: Shaken Together Life Apple Pie Chex Mix :: Organizer By Day Buffalo Chicken Dip Bites :: Blahnik Baker Bacon Wrapped Asparagus :: Gal on a Mission Broccoli Cheddar Bacon Salad :: Organizer By Day Cheddar Beer Bread :: Love Bakes Good Cakes Key Lime Pie Ice Cream :: Dieter’s Downfall Strawberry Limeade Rum Punch :: All She Cooks Prosciutto and Spinach Wontons :: My Life as Robin’s Wife Pesto & Bacon Pizza Appetizers :: The Bitter Side of Sweet Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup :: I Dig Pinterest Salted Caramel Brownies :: Life With the Crust Cut Off Sausage Jalapeño Poppers :: My Turn For Us Red Velvet Cake Parfaits :: Delightful E Made […]

5. […] : Delightfulemade Pour clore le repas, servez l’équivalent d’un Red Velvet cake, et présentez ceci […]