So, yes, I realize it is now January and the dead of winter. However, it was freakin’ cold here yesterday morning. Here in the ‘burbs of Northern Virginia it was 7 degrees!! Now, granted, I grew up in the frozen tundra of South Dakota where it gets much, much colder, but for Virginia 7 degrees is COLD.
So when I finally had to roll out of my toasty, warm bed (child was awake, otherwise I wouldn’t have left my bed!), child asks, “Can we go to Dunkin Donuts for breakfast?” My response, “Ummmm, NO! Its way to cold.” My child is 5 and already knows how to play me. He then says with a sly, overly cute grin, “But they have coffffeeeeee mommmmyyyyyyyy!” After a good chuckle, I resisted the urge for a delicious cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee as the cold kept us inside for the morning. However, I told Harrison that we didn’t have to go to Dunkin Donuts for us to have donuts for breakfast. We pulled out the donut pan and in just a few minutes had piping hot, delicious donuts!
I few weeks back I had discovered that Bed, Bath and Beyond sells donut pans!! How awesome, right? I plunked down that 20% off coupon, and it ended up being around $8. Sweet!!
I did a little research and discovered that you can make amazing cake donuts with a cake mix, and just a few other ingredients. Yes!! I’m in! I decided the very first batch we were going to make were my all-time Dunkin Donuts favorite – the Coconut Glazed Chocolate Cake Donuts. Now, even if we did venture out in the bitter cold to get donuts, there is no guarantee that there will be my favorite in stock. They don’t make these every day, and to be honest, its been quite a while since they’ve had these. (I wonder if they still make them?) I digress.
My second discovery was that these were a cinch to make. I would have liked to have a second pan, as the pan I have makes only 6 at a time. However, they bake in about 8 minutes, so turn-around time is pretty quick. The first batch I did, I slightly over-filled. They puffed up quite a bit, and the hole was baked over. Oh, well. More cake donuts that we have to eat…the mess-up ones usually taste the best anyway. 🙂 The pan directions say to fill about 2/3 full, however, 1/2 full makes the donuts nearly perfect.
Coconut Glazed Chocolate Donuts
These coconut glazed chocolate cake donuts are just like Dunkin Donuts! Perfect with a hot cup of coffee or a chocolate milk.
- 1 box Chocolate Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 3/4 c. buttermilk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3 Tbsp. butter, melted
- For Glaze:
- 2 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp. milk
- 2 1/2 c. sweetened, shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In mixing bowl combine all ingredients, and mix until smooth. Batter will be thick.
- In a donut pan, lightly spray with non-stick spray. Fill the donut cups aproximately 1/2 full. This equates to about 2 Tbsp. of batter per donut.
- Bake for approximately 8 minutes. Donut is done when the cake is touched and it springs back. Let cool in the pan for about 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- To prepare icing, simply combine powdered sugar with milk. Stir to a thinner, glaze consistency add a few more drops of milk if necessary. Drop the donuts into the glaze and cover the entire surface. Drop into the coconut, and cover all sides. Transfer back to the rack to let dry, or eat right away. Store in airtight container at room temperature.
The next time you’re craving the sweet, cake goodness of donuts be sure to pick up a pan, have a cake mix on hand, and you’ll have an amazingly fresh, delicious batch of donuts in no time. Take my word for it, it is WAY better than going out into the cold!
Speak Your Mind