Love chocolate and peanut butter? These chocolate peanut butter rice krispie treats are an amazing way to enjoy both! Made with just 6 ingredients, these EASY peanut butter rice krispie treats are a simple microwave recipe that come together in just moments.
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
If you or a family member is a lover of chocolate and peanut butter, these soft, gooey peanut butter rice krispie treats need to happen! Topped with a chocolate peanut butter topping and a chewy peanut butter rice krispie base, these treats can’t be beat.
These cereal treats are incredibly simple to make. Made with just 6 simple ingredients, these cereal treats can be easily made in the microwave – no baking or stove-top cooking needed!
What do I need to make peanut butter rice krispie treats?
Here’s a quick- reference check list of the ingredients you’ll need to make these easy cereal treats:
- Krispie rice cereal – you can use name brand or store brand.
- Peanut butter chips – these are a fantastic addition to the cereal treat base, and help add peanut butter flavor and chewiness to each bite.
- Mini marshmallows – you can also use large marshmallow.
- Butter – an essential ingredient when melting the marshmallow and peanut butter mixture.
- Creamy peanut butter – creamy peanut butter is ideal for both the treats and the chocolate topping. However, if you like small bits of peanuts in your treats, you can also use crunch peanut butter.
- Chocolate chips – semi-sweet chocolate chips are ideal, however, you could also use milk chocolate or dark chocolate chips.
For exact ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions, be sure to scroll down to the bottom of the post to the recipe card. Thanks!
How do I make peanut butter rice krispie treats?
- First, add the cereal and the peanut butter to a bowl, and mix together to combine.
- Next, add the marshmallows, peanut butter and butter to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave until melted.
- Stir the marshmallow mixture into the cereal mixture, and stir well to coat all the cereal. Press the mixture into a pan.
Making the chocolate topping for rice krispie treats:
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the chocolate chips and peanut butter. Melt in the microwave, stopping to stir.
- Once the chocolate mixture is melted together and smooth, pour over the top of the peanut butter rice krispie treats in the pan.
- Spread the chocolate topping evenly over the top of the treats using a rubber scraper or offset frosting knife. Let the chocolate cool completely to set before cutting into squares.
FAQ’s about making rice krispie treats:
Many use maple syrup instead of marshmallows. The consistency is different, and not as soft and gooey as marshmallows.
First, and most likely culprit is too high heat when melting the marshmallows and butter. For best results, use a microwave or if melting on a stovetop, use medium-low heat. Also, once treats are made, store in an airtight container to prevent from drying out and hardening.
To soften rice krispie treats, I recommend using 1/2 – 1 cup less rice krispie cereal. This will render an extra soft, chewy treat. Also, when melting the marshmallows, be sure to heat over medium-low heat, not high heat.
Yes, butter is necessary in keeping the treats soft once they are made. I don’t recommend leaving out the butter.
Love cereal treat recipes? Check out these other fun cereal treat recipes:
- M&M’s® Spring Flower Pops
- Rice Krispie Christmas Trees
- Spring Rice Krispie Cake
- Candy Corn Krispie Cake
- Frosted Fruity Pebble Treats
- Crunch Berry Snack Bars
- Cocoa Pebble Treats
- Smores Krispie Treats at Dinner Now Dessert Later
Do you love chocolate and peanut butter treats? Check out some of my other recipes:
- 6 cups krispie rice cereal
- 1/2 cup peanut butter chips
- 5 1/2 cup mini marshmallows (1 - 10 oz. bag)
- 5 Tbsp. butter
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- Lightly spray a 9x13" pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- To a large mixing bowl, measure out the rice cereal and the peanut butter chips, lightly toss together to distribute the peanut butter chips evenly into the cereal. Set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the marshmallows, butter and 3/4 cup cream peanut butter. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Using a rubber scraper, stir the mixture. Heat for another 30-45 seconds or until the mixture is just melted. Don't let the mixture bubble or boil. Stir.
- Pour the melted marshmallow mixture into the cereal mixture, and stir well to coat the cereal completely. You'll need to work quickly, as the mixture cools it will begin to harden.
- Pour the coated cereal mixture into the prepared pan. Light spray your hands with non-stick spray to prevent them from sticking. Using your hands, evenly press into the bottom of the prepared pan. Set pan aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the chocolate chips and 1/3 cup of peanut butter. Heat on high for 1 minute. Stop to stir with a rubber scraper. Heat for another 30 seconds or until mixture is melted. Stir well to incorporate. Pour the melted chocolate topping over the top of the cereal treats, spread evenly.
- Let cool to room temperature for the chocolate to harden. Once set, the treats can be cut into squares.
For larger squares, cut in 15 squares, 3 squares x 5 squares. For smaller squares, cut into 20 squares, 4 squares by 5 squares.
Storage: treats can be stored at room temperature. Store in an airtight container to keep soft and chewy.
Don't have a microwave, or prefer to use the stovetop? Melt the marshmallow mixture (marshmallows, peanut butter and butter) in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir often and remove from heat once everything is smooth and melted together.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 357Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 208mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 2gSugar: 24gProtein: 7g