Love a great cereal treat recipe? These chocolate rice krispie treats are fantastic for any chocolate craving. These cocoa krispie treats are made with just 5 ingredients, are no bake and take just minutes to mix together. Chocolate rice krispies are the ultimate treat for every chocolate lover!
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Love anything chocolate? These gooey, chewy chocolate rice krispies are perfect for any chocolate craving. Made with just 5 simple ingredients, these cereal treats are fantastic as an after-school snack and great for kids lunchboxes.
In this post I’ll show you exactly what you need to make these chocolate rice krispies. I’ll also give you some tips and tricks on storage, preventing them from becoming hard, and other mix-in and topping options.
What do I need to make chocolate rice krispie treats?
Here’s a quick reference check list of the 5 ingredients you’ll need to make chocolate rice krispies:
- Cocoa Krispies cereal – these are the chocolate version of rice krispies cereal
- Mini marshmallows – you can also use regular, larger marshmallows for melting.
- Butter – butter is used for melting with the marshmallows.
- Mini Chocolate chips – you can also use regular sized chocolate chips. These will be mixed into the marshmallow mixture and used for topping the treats.
- Cocoa powder – this will create a wonderfully extra chocolaty marshmallow mixture.
For exact ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions be sure to scroll down to the bottom of this post to the recipe card. Thanks!
How do I make chocolate rice krispie treats?
Start by melting the marshmallows and butter together. You can do this on the stovetop in a saucepan OR in the microwave. I prefer to use the microwave, as this method doesn’t overheat the marshmallow mixture.
Overheating the marshmallow mixture causes hard rice krispie treats. The most desirable chocolate rice krispies are one’s that are chewy and gooey, not hard and brittle.
Once the marshmallow and butter have melted together, add in the cocoa powder and mini chocolate chips and stir together until combined. You’ll achieve a very chocolaty marshmallow mixture.
Stir in the cereal to the marshmallow mixture. It is best to use a rubber scraper to mix the ingredients together until everything is well coated.
Turn out the cereal mixture into a prepared pan that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Additionally, spray your hand with the non-stick spray and press the mixture firmly into the pan with your hands.
Lastly, top the cocoa krispie treats with chocolate chips.
Let the cocoa krispie treats cool and firm up before cutting into squares.
What can I add to rice krispie treats?
These chocolate rice krispies are great topped with additional chocolate chips. Here are some other mix-in and topping ideas:
- Butterscotch chips
- Peanut butter chips
- Rainbow sprinkles
- M&M’s – regular plain M&M’s or mini M&M’s
- White chocolate chips
- Crushed OREO cookies
- Extra mini marshmallows (mix these in with the cereal)
FAQ’s about making cereal treats:
Store rice krispie treats in an air tight container to prevent from drying out or becoming hard. They can be kept at room temperature and do not need to be refrigerated.
Yes, rice krispie treats can be made the night or day before being served. Be sure to cover your pan tightly with plastic wrap or store the treats in an airtight container to prevent them from drying out and becoming hard.
Chocolate rice krispie treats will last 5-7 days when stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
Cereal treats can become hard for two reasons. First, if you melt the marshmallows at too high of heat, they will make the treats very hard. For best results, melt the marshmallows over medium low heat, or in the microwave on 1 minute increments. Treats can also become hard if they are not covered or stored in an airtight container.
Yes, chocolate rice krispie treats can be frozen. Store in an airtight freezer-safe container or freezer bag. They will keep for 3-4 months in the freezer. To defrost, let thaw at room temperature.
Love cereal treats? Check out some of our other cereal treat recipe ideas:
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Spring Rice Krispie Cake
- Rice Krispie Christmas Trees
- M&M’s® Spring Flower Pops
- Candy Corn Krispie Cake
- Lucky Charms Treats at Party Food Favorites
- 1 (10 oz.) bag, mini marshmallows
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips, divided
- 6 cups cocoa krispies cereal
- Spray a 9x9" pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside. (You can also use a 9 x13" pan for thinner squares.)
- To a large microwave safe bowl, add the marshmallow and butter. Microwave for 1 minute. Stop to stir. Add in 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips, then microwave for another minute. The marshmallows and chocolate chips will be mostly melted. Add in the cocoa powder and stir everything together to combine. The marshmallow mixture will be thick and chocolatey.
- Add in the cereal to the marshmallow mixture and stir together using a rubber scraper. Mixture will be thick and sticky.
- Working quickly, turn out the mixture into the prepared pan. Lightly spray your hands with non-stick spray and press the mixture firmly into the pan. Top the cereal treats with the remaining 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips.
- Let the treats cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting. Cut into 16 squares.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container to prevent from drying out and becoming hard. The treats can be kept at room temperature and do not need to be refrigerated.
Either a 9x9" pan or a 9x13" pan can be used for this recipe. A 9x9 pan will render 16 thicker treats, whereas a 9x13" pan will render 15-20 thinner treats.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
HOTEC Food Grade Silicone Rubber Spatula Set for Kitchen Baking, Cooking, and Mixing High Heat Resistant Non Stick Dishwasher Safe BPA-Free Multicolor Set of 5 Grey
Pyrex Smart Essentials 3-Piece Prepware Mixing Bowl Set, 1-Qt, 1.5-Qt ,and 2.5-Qt Glass Mixing Bowls, Dishwasher, Microwave and Freezer Safe
OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Pro Cake Pan Square 9 x 9 Inch
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 145Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 90mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 12gProtein: 1g