The Ultimate Hot Buttered Rum Recipe!
The ultimate hot buttered rum recipe for a cold night! This creamy, hot cocktail is made with spiced rum, cinnamon and ice cream to make it wonderfully decadent and delicious. This Hot Buttered Rum goes perfectly with fuzzy slippers, fireplaces and your favorite Christmas movie!
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Making this Hot Buttered Rum recipe is a simple process. It starts with a batter made of butter and ice cream. Mixed with dark spiced rum you’ll have a great hot toddy!
Perfect for an evening in front of the fireplace after a long day, or watching your favorite Christmas movies.
How do I make hot buttered rum batter?
First, you’ll cream together the butter and sugars. Next you’ll add cinnamon and nutmeg, which add wonderful flavor and richness to the cocktail. These also go perfect with the spiced rum.
To make this “creamy” cocktail, you’ll add softened vanilla ice cream to the batter. Beat all of these ingredients together until completely combined.
Add batter to the glass with rum
To your favorite mug, you’ll add 2 tablespoons of the batter along with a shot of dark spiced rum. Add boiling water and stir.
Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg for the ultimate hot cocktail! You could also top this hot toddy with my Homemade Cool Whip.
Looking for a few treats to enjoy with this hot drink? Check these out:
- Apple Cider Cake
- Chewy Ginger Snap Cookies
- Pumpkin Sheet Cake
- Maple Pecan Fudge
- Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Slow Cooker Honey Roasted Mixed Nuts
- Cream Cheese Pumpkin Bread
FAQ’s about making hot buttered rum and hot toddies:
Dark, spiced rum is the most traditional liquor for a hot buttered rum recipe. Popular brands include Captain Morgan, Kraken and Bacardi.
In the late 17th century, Jamaica began importing molasses to the American colonies, where distilleries started turning it into rum. Rum became very readily available, and people started adding it to toddies and nogs, thus creating hot buttered rum and eggnog.
Yes, you can heat rum. It is best to add it to a hot cocktail or drink just before serving so the alcohol doesn’t cook off.
If you loved this delicious hot buttered rum recipe, then check out some of my other hot drink & holiday cocktail recipes:
Here are some of our other cocktail recipes:
- Spiked White Hot Chocolate
- Baileys Hot Chocolate
- Spiked Eggnog
- Baileys Espresso Martini
- Chocolate Cake Martini
- How to Make A Brandy Alexander
- 60 Amazing Holiday Cocktail Ideas
Creamy Hot Buttered Rum
If you love a hot toddy, this creamy hot buttered rum recipe will be right up your alley. The perfect way to warm up and get cozy on a cold night.
- 1/4 c. (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 c. vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- Spiced Rum (like Captain Morgan)
- Whipped Topping and Nutmeg for toppings
- Making the hot buttered rum batter: in a small bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add the cinnamon and nutmeg and stir. Add softened ice cream and beat until fully combined. (Note: The batter will make approximately 8-10 servings.)
- Add 2 Tbsp. of the batter to a mug. Pour over 1 oz. (a shot) of spiced rum. For an extra-strong drink, go with 2 oz. of rum. Add 6-8 oz of boiling water.
- Top with whipped cream or my Homemade Cool Whip. Enjoy right away while hot.
Freeze the remaining batter in an airtight, freezer-safe container for later use.
A serving of batter is approximately 2 tablespoons.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 44Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 8mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 6gProtein: 0g
Speak Your Mind