Amaretto Hot Chocolate
The cold, blustery days of winter call for a great spiked hot chocolate recipe. Flavored with Amaretto Liquor for a subtle almond flavor and rich chocolate, this Amaretto Hot Chocolate is the most decadently delicious drink perfect on a cold night!
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Now that its January, and the dead of winter has finally setting in, I always crave a delicious hot cup of cocoa, especially in the evening. This Amaretto Hot Chocolate is my new favorite way to indulge in a decadent, delicious hot beverage!
Making homemade hot chocolate is actually very simple. Just a few ingredients that you likely already have in your fridge and freezer are all you need to make this creamy, decadent spiked hot chocolate recipe!
Like this recipe? Be sure to pin it to your Drinks board!
Follow DelightfulEMade on Pinterest!
Here’s everything you need to know about making this delicious spiked hot chocolate recipe!
What do I need to make spiked hot chocolate?
To make spiked hot chocolate from scratch you’ll need just a few ingredients; whole milk, semi-sweet chocolate, sugar, a pinch of salt, vanilla, and Amaretto liqueur, as well as your choice of toppings. I went with whipped cream, chocolate shavings and almonds, which compliment the amaretto (almond) liqueur perfectly!
Quick-reference shopping list for making homemade hot chocolate:
- Whole Milk – you can also use skim, 2% or the plant-based milk of your choice. Whole milk will give you the creamiest hot chocolate.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips – you can also use milk or dark chocolate
- Vanilla extract
- Pinch/Grind of salt – this is actually vital for flavor. I don’t recommend leaving out the salt.
- Amaretto Liqueur – I recommend using De Amore Amaretto or Disaronno Originale.
The Easy steps to making homemade Amaretto Hot Chocolate:
The recipe for this hot cocoa is very simple, and WAY better than any store-bought, powdered mix. It’s made with whole milk, along with semi-sweet chocolate making a very rich, creamy texture.
You’ll start by adding the chocolate chips, sugar, salt and milk to a saucepan. Heat on medium low.
Tips to making the BEST homemade hot chocolate:
- Heat the ingredients over medium-low heat. Anything hotter and the milk will scorch/burn to the bottom of the pan and the chocolate chips will not melt properly.
- Use a whisk. This helps integrate all of the ingredients. The sugar will need to dissolve and the chocolate will need to melt – using a whisk will help make the hot chocolate extra creamy and frothy.
- Use the best quality chocolate you can afford. This will make a big difference in flavor and creaminess!
What should I spike my hot chocolate with?
This recipe uses Amaretto for the liqueur, however, there are many other options to making spiked hot chocolate recipe. Some other options are Bailey’s Irish Cream, Kahlua, Rum Chata or Spiced Rum. Peppermint Schnapps is also a great option if you’re looking to do a minty hot chocolate.
FAQ’s for making hot chocolate:
Amaretto has a sweet almond flavor with a hint of cherry Amaretto liqueur pairs perfectly with hot chocolate.
You can make hot chocolate more flavorful by adding your favorite liqueurs or adding non-alcoholic flavor extracts, like peppermint or coconut. You can also add toppings like marshmallows, whipped cream, whipped topping, chocolate sauce, caramel sauce or Nutella.
Start by making instant hot chocolate with whole milk instead of water. This will make it much creamier! You can also add to the flavor by adding flavor extracts, like peppermint or coconut (1/8 tsp./per cup). Another way to upgrade instant hot chocolate is to add your favorite liqueur, like amaretto, Rum Chata, Whipped cream vodka, Bailey’s, Caramel liqueur or peppermint schnapps.
If you love this Amaretto Hot Chocolate, the check out some of my other similar cocktails and drinks:
Spiked Peppermint Hot Chocolate at Real Housemoms
I’ve topped my hot chocolate with whipped cream, slivered almonds (wonderful!!!), and some chocolate shavings. However, if you’re more of a marshmallow person, add those on top instead of the whipped cream. They’ll be just as fantastic!
- 1 c. whole milk
- 3 Tbsp. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- pinch/grind of salt
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 oz. shot, Amaretto liqueur
- To a medium sauce pan, add the chocolate chips, sugar, salt and milk. Heat over medium-low heat. Using a whisk, stir often to help the sugar dissolve.
- Continue whisking until the chocolate melts completely and the mixture comes to a low simmer. NOTE: Do NOT let it rapidly boil, as the milk and chocolate will burn to the bottom of the pan. Once liquid comes to a low simmer, promptly remove from heat. Add the vanilla and stir to combine.
- Ladle or pour hot chocolate into a mug and top with the amaretto liqueur. Stir to combine and top with your favorite hot chocolate toppings. Enjoy right away while hot.
Milk options: this recipe will work with any milk of your choice. Whole milk will render the creamiest hot chocolate.
Toppings: marshmallows, whipped cream or whipped topping are all great choices. I also added chocolate shaving and sliced almonds to go with the flavors.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 serving Serving Size: 10 oz.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 521Total Fat: 20gCarbohydrates: 69gProtein: 8g