Healthy Chicken Sausage Pasta
Looking for quick and healthy chicken sausage pasta recipes? This 20 Minute Sausage and Kale Pasta with white beans and roasted red peppers and chickpea pasta is healthy, easy and completely delicious!
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
AMAZING Healthy Sausage and Kale Pasta with White Beans and Roasted Red Peppers
I’m almost always working on recipes that are healthy, quick (under 30 minutes) and that use ingredients that are easy to find. This Healthy Chicken Sausage Pasta recipes checks all those boxes. Made with better-for-you chickpea pasta, chicken sausage, white beans, and roasted red peppers, this simple sausage and kale pasta is the perfect healthy dinner option for a weeknight.
I’ve broken down the steps to show how easy this chicken sausage pasta is to make. Let’s get right to it!
Like this recipe? Be sure to pin it to your DINNER board!
Follow DelightfulEMade on Pinterest!
What you’ll need to make this Healthy Chicken Sausage Pasta recipes
- Chickpea Pasta (like Banza) – Penne works great! You can also use regular pasta in this recipe.
- Chicken Sausage – look for good quality sausage without added nitrates or nitrites. If you don’t have access to chicken sausage, any other good quality, pre-cooked sausage will do.
- Yellow Onion, chopped
- Fresh Kale, rinsed, torn and stems removed.
- White Beans – Cannellini beans (White kidney beans) work well in this recipe, you can also use Great Northern Beans or Garbanzo (Chickpeas) Beans.
- Jarred roasted red peppers, chopped
- No-Sugar added tomato sauce
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic salt
- Ground pepper
For exact ingredient amounts and full instructions be sure to scroll to the bottom of this post for the full recipe. Thanks!
How do I make sausage and kale pasta from scratch?
Start by sauteeing the onion and kale in a large skillet. Next, add the sliced chicken sausage. Since it is pre-cooked, it will need to heat up for just a few minutes. Then, add the rest of the ingredients; beans, roasted red peppers, tomato sauce and spices. Stir together and bring to a low simmer. Add the cooked pasta and stir together well. That’s it, you’ve got it!
Is chicken sausage bad?
No. Chicken sausage is a great alternative to some other less healthy sausages. Make sure to purchase a good quality chicken sausage that is free of added nitrates or nitrites.
What can I use instead of chicken sausage?
If chicken sausage is not available, you can also use turkey sausage or any other smoked sausages that are pre-cooked. Again, be sure to read your labels and look for a sausage that is free of added nitrates or nitrites.
How long does it take to cook chicken sausage?
Be sure to read the label of the chicken sausage you purchase. Many brands of chicken sausage are already cooked, and therefore just need to be heated through for 5-7 minutes.
What can I use instead of kale in this sausage and kale pasta?
If you cannot find fresh kale, fresh spinach is a great substitution in this recipe.
What can I top this chicken sausage pasta with?
Shredded mozzarella or Parmesan cheeses are great options to top your chicken sausage pasta.
How long will this sausage and kale pasta last?
When refrigerated in an airtight container, this sausage and kale pasta will last up to 5-7 days.
Can I meal prep healthy chicken sausage recipes?
Yes, definitely! This Healthy Chicken Sausage Pasta recipe is fantastic for meal prepping. Make on the weekend and pack in your meal prep containers to take to work, or freeze for later. Simply reheat in the microwave when you’re ready to enjoy a healthy lunch.
Be sure to check out my post for Best Meal Prep Containers for all of my favorite meal prep containers.
If you would like more similar healthy chicken sausage pasta recipes, check out some of my other recipes:
Here’s the recipe for my Healthy Chicken Sausage Pasta:
- 1 (8 oz.) box, chickpea pasta - penne or rigatoni work well
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 6 c. fresh kale, rinsed and torn with stems removed
- 1 (12 oz.) pkg, chicken sausage, links sliced
- 1 c. jarred roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 (15.5 oz.) can, Cannellini beans (white kidney beans)
- 1 (15 oz) can, tomato sauce
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- Shredded mozzarella cheese or Parmesan cheese
- Begin boiling water to cook your chickpea pasta. Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, in a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and saute the onion and kale. Stirring often, cook for 5-7 minutes. The onions will become translucent and the kale will wilt down. Stir in the sliced sausage and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, beans, roasted red peppers, and spices. Keeping the heat at medium-high, stir the ingredients together and bring to a low simmer for about 5-7 minutes.
- Once the pasta has cooked, it can be immediately added to the sausage mixture. Stir it in well to coat.
- Top with any optional mozzarella or Parmesan cheese and serve right away.
Each serving is approximately 1 1/2 cups.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 6 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 304Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 133mgCarbohydrates: 46gSugar: 1gProtein: 16g