Looking for a quick and easy chicken sausage air fryer recipe? This air fryer chicken sausage and peppers is low carb, easy to make and fantastic for a weeknight dinner idea.
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Need a new air fryer recipe for dinner tonight? This simple, flavorful air fryer sausage and peppers is one that everyone in your family will love.
As simple as cutting some peppers, onions and sausage, and tossing it together in your air fryer, this recipe is not only healthy and low carb, it makes a fantastic meal prep recipe.
What do I need to make air fryer sausage and peppers?
- Chicken Sausage – many stores now offer healthier versions of this protein-rich sausage. Be sure to read your labels to avoid added nitrates and nitrites. I purchased Bilinski’s Organic Spicy Italian Chicken Sausage, but there are many other brands and options.
- Bell Peppers – feel free to choose any color you prefer. I went with a green and red, but yellow and orange are great options also.
- Red Onion – this is a great addition, as once it is cooked it adds a very sweet, caramelized flavor to the mix.
- Olive oil – necessary to coat your ingredients so they don’t stick to the air fryer basket while cooking.
- Italian seasoning – this spice is a great addition to the vegetables.
- Salt and Pepper – a light grind of each will give the peppers and onions the perfect amount of seasoning for every bite.
For exact ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions be sure to scroll down to the bottom of the post for the recipe. Thanks!
How do I make air fryer sausage and peppers?
Start by prepping your ingredients. Chop the bell peppers and onions into larger 1″ bite-sized chunks. Slice the chicken sausage into 1/2″ slices.
Place the peppers, onions and sausage into a mixing bowl and top with the olive oil, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Using a rubber scraper, toss the ingredients together well to coat evenly.
Preheating your air fryer:
Depending on the model of air fryer, you’ll want to pre-heat your air fryer for 3-5 minutes to bring the basket up to cooking temperature. Double check your owners manual for exact preheat times and methods.
I own a Ninja XL Max Air Fryer and it recommends that it be preheated at cooking temperature for 3 minutes prior to adding food to the basket.
How long do chicken sausages take in air fryer?
For best results, cook the chicken sausage at 375 degrees for 12-14 minutes at 375 degrees.
What temperature do you cook chicken sausage in air fryer?
Cook chicken sausage at 375 degrees for 12-14 minutes, or until lightly golden on each side. Half way through cooking stop to toss or turn the sausage for even browning.
How do I meal prep air fryer sausage and peppers?
This is a super simple and healthy lunch or dinner option for meal prepping. Using your favorite meal prep containers, add in 1 1/2 cups of sausage and peppers. Let the mixture cool to room temperature before refrigerating or freezing.
Be sure to check out my post for Best Meal Prep Containers for getting the most out of every prep!
Love the ease and convenience of cooking with an air fryer? Check out some of our favorite air fryer recipes:
If you loved this meal prep recipe, check out some of our other healthy recipes for meal prep:
- 1 (12 oz.) pkg, chicken sausage, sliced
- 2 medium bell peppers, any color, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1" pieces
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat your air fryer to 375 degrees. (Check your owners manual for exact preheat times, as times may vary by model.)
- To a mixing bowl, add the chopped peppers, onion and sliced sausage. Add in the olive oil, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Using a rubber scraper, toss the ingredients together well to coat everything evenly with the olive oil and seasonings.
- Pour the mixture into the preheated air fryer basket. Cook at 375 degrees for 12 minutes total. Pause the air fryer at the 6 minute point to toss the ingredients well so everything browns evenly.
- Serve and enjoy right away while hot.
Meal Prep Instructions: Prepare according to the recipe. Once sausage and peppers have cooled, divide evenly into meal prep containers. One serving is approximately 1 1/2 cups, and will make 4 servings.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Zulay Kitchen 5 Pack High Quality, Leak-Proof Glass Food Storage Containers - 36 oz Thick & Durable Glass Meal Prep Containers - Airtight Easy to Clean Glass Storage Containers With Lids
HOTEC Food Grade Silicone Rubber Spatula Set for Kitchen Baking, Cooking, and Mixing High Heat Resistant Non Stick Dishwasher Safe BPA-Free Multicolor Set of 5 Grey
Ninja AF161 Max XL Air Fryer that Cooks, Crisps, Roasts, Bakes, Reheats and Dehydrates, with 5.5 Quart Capacity, and a High Gloss Finish, Grey
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 154Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 391mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g