Need a quick and easy dinner solution? This one skillet lasagna recipe is perfect for busy weeknights when you’re rushed for time. Made with ground beef, bowtie pasta, ricotta and mozzarella cheese, this stovetop lasagna has all the flavors of traditional lasagna without all the work.
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Are you always on the look-out for quick and easy weeknight dinner ideas? This simple, delicious skillet lasagna recipe is a fantastic option to add to your rotation.
Made with ground beef, bowtie pasta and other simple staples that you likely already have in your fridge and pantry, this stovetop lasagna is a fantastic dinner option.
What do I need to make skillet lasagna?
Here’s a quick reference check list of the ingredients you’ll need to make this stovetop lasagna:
- Ground beef – you could also use ground turkey as a substitute
- Dried, minced onion – this is found in the spice section at the grocery store
- Garlic – feel free to used jarred minced garlic, or mince 2-3 cloves of fresh garlic
- Bowtie pasta – I’ve also used wide crinkle cut ribbon noodles, pappardelle pasta or even broken lasagna noodles.
- Tomato sauce (1, 15 oz. can)
- Diced tomatoes (1, 15 oz. can)
- Italian seasoning – this is a mix of basil, oregano and rosemary.
- Garlic salt – a great complimentary seasoning, you can also use regular table salt instead.
- Onion powder – great for adding flavor to the sauce
- Ground pepper – seasoning for the sauce
- Water – necessary in adding to the sauce to help the pasta cook.
- Ricotta cheese – a staple in traditional lasagna, ricotta is added to the top of the pasta.
- Mozzarella cheese – also a staple in traditional lasagna, you can use regular or part-skim shredded mozzarella.
- Italian flat leaf parsley or basil for garnish (optional)
For exact ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions be sure to scroll down to the bottom of this post to the recipe card.
How do I make skillet lasagna?
Start by browning the ground beef in a large skillet. Once browned, drain off any excess grease that is rendered from the beef.
To the browned ground beef, add in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, garlic salt, onion powder and ground pepper. Stir this mixture together.
Also to the skillet, add the water and uncooked pasta. The water will help the pasta cook directly in the sauce. Heat over medium heat until it comes to a simmer. Once simmering, reduce to low heat, cover the skillet with a lid and cook.
Once the pasta has cooked to al dente, add dollops of ricotta cheese to the top of the pasta and meat sauce.
Also add a generous sprinkle of mozzarella. Then, place the lid back on to the skillet with the heat remaining on low. The lid will help trap the heat, allowing the cheeses to melt.
Serving the stovetop lasagna:
Once the cheeses have melted, the pasta is ready to serve. Top with shredded or grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
What can be served with skillet lasagna?
A side of steamed or sauteed vegetables, bread, a side salad or caprese salad would go wonderfully with this dish. Here are some delicious side dish recipes that would be perfect with this pasta:
- Sauteed Green Beans
- Tomato Basil Mozzarella Salad
- Cheesy Breadsticks
- Italian Chopped Salad
- Side salad with my Homemade Italian Dressing, Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing or my Healthy Caesar Dressing.
If you loved this easy weeknight dinner idea, check out some of my other ground beef and ground sausage recipes:
- Cheeseburger Macaroni
- Taco Mac and Cheese
- Ground Beef Enchiladas
- 10 Minute Ground Beef Tacos
- Sour Cream Enchiladas
- Healthy Taco Casserole
- Loaded Crock Pot Chili
- Taco Tater Tot Casserole
- Easy Taco Cups
- Italian Gnocchi Sausage in Creamy Red Sauce
- Dump and Bake Meatball Casserole
Love this easy pasta recipe? Check out our other pasta dishes that are quick and simple for a weeknight dinner:
Here’s the easy, delicious recipe for One Skillet Stove Top Lasagna:
- 1 lb. ground beef (you can also use ground turkey)
- 2 Tbsp. dried minced onion
- 1 tsp. minced garlic, or about 2 cloves, minced
- 1 (15 oz. can) tomato sauce, no sugar added is ideal
- 1 (15 oz. can) diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 2 c. water
- 8 oz. bowtie pasta (or any other medium sized pasta)
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 c. ricotta cheese
- Fresh Italian flat leaf parsley and/or basil for topping and serving (optional)
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the ground beef. While it is cooking add in the minced onion and garlic. Brown completely and drain off any excess fat.
- Continue to heat the skillet over medium-high heat and add in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, uncooked pasta, Italian herbs, garlic salt and onion powder. Stir well to combine and add in the water.
- Bring the ingredients to a simmer, and then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover skillet, and cook on medium-low heat for 10-12 minutes or until pasta is cooked to al dente.
- Once pasta is cooked, add in dollops of ricotta cheese and the shredded mozzarella. Cover the skillet with a lid, and let the cheeses melt, continue to simmer on low for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with shredded Parmesan cheese and a sprinkling of Italian parsley or basil, if desired.
Storage: Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Will keep for up to 5 days refrigerated.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 413Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 624mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 33g
This post was originally created in partnership with ALDI. Photos, recipe and opinions are 100% my own.