Always on the look out for an amazing chicken and pasta recipe? This creamy Tuscan chicken pasta recipe is simple to make and tastes amazing. Made with chicken breasts, sun dried tomatoes, spinach penne pasta in a creamy, savory sauce. The ultimate dinner idea!
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Wondering what to do with those chicken breasts that are in your fridge right now? This creamy, delicious Tuscan chicken pasta is the answer.
Made with simple ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry and fridge, this simple pasta dinner comes together in under 30 minutes, making it the perfect weeknight dinner option!
What do I need to make creamy Tuscan chicken pasta?
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts – you could also use boneless, skinless thighs.
- Garlic salt
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Olive oil
- Minced garlic
- Sundried tomatoes – You can find jarred sun dried tomatoes in the Italian cooking section of your grocery store.
- Dijon mustard
- Evaporated milk – make sure to NOT use sweetened condensed milk.
- Fresh spinach – if you don’t have fresh spinach available, you could also use frozen spinach.
- Penne pasta – you could use any medium sized pasta, like rigatoni, bow-tie, ziti or gemelli.
- Parmesan cheese – fresh grated is ideal, but feel free to also use packaged, shredded Parmesan cheese or even canned, grated Parmesan.
For exact ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions be sure to scroll down to the bottom of the post for the recipe. Thanks!
How do I make creamy Tuscan chicken pasta?
- Start by preparing your chicken. Dice the chicken breast meat into 1″ cubes. Transfer the chicken to a hot skillet and season with the garlic salt, garlic powder, paprika and pepper. Brown the chicken until cooked fully.
- Drain off any excess moisture that the chicken may render. Then, transfer the cooked chicken to a bowl to keep warm.
Wondering where the best place to buy boneless, skinless chicken breasts? I’ve discovered that Costco has one of the best prices per pound for chicken breasts. Check out my post for 15 Things I Buy at Costco for Healthy Meals where I list chicken breasts as one of my top favorites!
- Next, make the cream sauce. In the same skillet used to cook the chicken, add in the sun dried tomatoes and sautee, then add in the garlic.
- To the tomatoes and garlic, pour in the evaporated milk and dijon mustard. Then bring to a low simmer. The sauce will begin to thicken.
- Add in the spinach to the sauce. The spinach will wilt as it comes to temperature with the sauce.
- Add back the cooked chicken and cooked pasta to the cream sauce. Stir together to incorporate and coat the chicken and pasta with the sauce.
- Top with the grated Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley, if desired.
Frequently asked questions about making Tuscan chicken pasta recipe:
To make your pasta dinner healthier, consider some ingredient swaps, like chickpea pasta instead of regular, using lighter sauce ingredients like evaporated milk instead of heavy cream, and adding extra vegetables like spinach or broccoli to increase your fiber.
Creamy Tuscan chicken pasta is creamy and savory. The sun dried tomatoes and garlic add great flavor to the sauce. Not as heavy as an alfredo sauce, yet still very satisfying and flavorful.
If you don’t want to use heavy cream, some other alternatives include half and half, whole milk or canned evaporated milk to make a creamy pasta sauce.
What goes with Creamy Tuscan Chicken?
This Tuscan chicken pasta goes great with fresh sides, vegetables and even some fresh breadsticks. Here are some easy recipes that would all be great:
- Tomato Basil Mozzarella Salad
- Easy Cheesy Breadsticks
- Sauteed Green Beans
- Roasted Carrot Salad with Apples and Pistachios
- A side salad served with my Healthy Homemade Italian Dressing Recipe, Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing, or my Healthy Caesar Dressing.
If you loved this Italian inspired recipe, check out some of these other similar recipes:
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasted, cubed into 1" pieces
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
For the Sauce:
- 2 Tbsp. sun dried tomato oil (reserved oil from the jar of sun dried tomatoes)
- 1 (7 oz.) jar, sun dried tomatoes, any additional oil drained off
- 2 tsp. minced garlic (about 2-3 cloves)
- 1 (12 oz.) can, evaporated milk
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 c. fresh spinach
- 10 oz. penne pasta, cooked to al dente
- 1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- Chopped parsley, optional for garnish
- Begin heating water to cook pasta. Cook the pasta to al dente according to package directions. For penne pasta this is usually 8-9 minutes.
- While pasta cooks, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the olive oil. Add the diced chicken, and season with the garlic salt, paprika, garlic powder and pepper. Brown the chicken on all sides until cooked fully, about 5-6 minutes. Transfer the cooked chicken to a bowl, and cover to keep warm.
- Drain off any excess moisture the chicken may have rendered. Wipe the skillet clean with paper towels. Return the skillet back to medium-high heat. Add in 2 tablespoons of the oil from the sun dried tomatoes. (Drain off the remaining oil.) Add in the sun dried tomatoes and garlic. Sautee the tomatoes and garlic for 2-3 minutes.
- To the tomatoes and garlic, pour in the evaporated milk and mustard. Cook over medium heat, and bring to a low simmer. The sauce will begin to thicken. Add in the spinach and stir until the spinach wilts into the sauce.
- To the sauce, add back the chicken and cooked pasta. Toss together to coat all ingredients. Top with the Parmesan cheese and parsley, if desired. Serve right away while hot.
Love the sauce and want more? Add in a second can of evaporated milk, a second tablespoon of mustard and extra spinach. This will render an even more cream sauce!
Storage: store any leftovers in an airtight container. Refrigerated, the pasta will keep for up to 5 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 193Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 420mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g