This Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats is winner anytime you’re looking to make breakfast in advance. This apple overnight oatmeal recipe takes just minutes to stir together before bed. In the morning you’ve got a healthy breakfast ready to go! A fantastic meal prep breakfast option.
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Easy Overnight Oats with Greek Yogurt – an amazing Meal Prep Breakfast option!
This easy apple overnight oatmeal recipe is one of my go-to’s anytime I’m looking to make a healthy breakfast in advance. Made with healthy ingredients these oats not only tastes amazing, but have great texture and crunch from the fresh apples and optional walnuts.
Overnight oats are such a great make-ahead breakfast options. They take just 5-10 minutes to stir together before you go to bed. When you wake up in the morning, they are ready to go. Eat right away or take with you to work, this is a fantastic breakfast meal prep option!
Here’s everything you need to know about making apple cinnamon overnight oats
What do I need to make apple overnight oats?
Here’s a quick check list of the ingredients you’ll need to make this easy overnight oats recipe:
- Old Fashioned rolled oats/oatmeal (NOT instant or quick cooking oatmeal)
- Milk – use what you prefer (dairy or plant based). I tend to use unsweetened almond milk.
- Plain Greek yogurt – I like Fage 5% plain Greek yogurt.
- Chia seeds
- Vanilla extract
- Granular Sweetener OR honey – I like Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener or Whole Earth Sweetener Stevia & Monkfruit Blend.
- Diced Apples – any variety works well.
- Optional: chopped walnuts or nut/seed butter for topping
For exact ingredient amounts and full instructions be sure to scroll down to the bottom of this post for the complete recipe. Thanks!
How do I make apple overnight oatmeal?
To make overnight oats, start with a jar or resealable container. Whisk together the milk, yogurt, sweetener, vanilla and salt until smooth.
Next, stir in the oats, chia seeds and cinnamon. Place a lid on the container and refrigerate overnight or for at least 6 hours.
Before eating, chop the apple into pieces and mix into the oats. Add chopped walnuts or nut butter, if you like.
How long do overnight oats have to soak?
Overnight oats need to cold-steep/soak for at least 6 hours. It works well to mix together before you go to bed. When you wake up in the morning they will be ready to eat!
Once you wake up in the morning, your overnight oats will have a much thicker consistency thanks to the oats and chia seeds.
Are overnight oats healthy?
Yes, overnight oats are definitely healthy. The yogurt and chia seeds have a good amount of protein and the oats and apples are providing you with an excellent source of fiber.
Make sure to use quality ingredients and limit the amount of refined sugar you are adding to the oats. (Refined sugar is often found in flavored yogurts.)
What can I add to overnight oats for flavor?
Toppings and mix-in’s are a great way to add flavor and texture to your oats. Here are some ideas:
- Chopped apples
- Fresh or frozen berries
- Cinnamon, nutmeg, or pumpkin pie spice
- Chopped walnuts
- Sliced almonds
- Roasted pecans or pumpkin seeds
- Nut butters like natural peanut butter, cashew butter or almond butter
- Vanilla or almond extract
Love apple and cinnamon flavors? Check out these delicious apple recipes:
- Cinnamon Apple Bread
- Apple Scones
- Healthy Apple Muffins
- Apple Pie Tarts
- Pumpkin Apple Streusel Muffins
FAQ’s about making overnight oats:
Overnight oats need at least 4 hours to cold-steep in the refrigerator. After this, they achieve the optimum texture and are ready to eat.
Overnight oats are safe to eat after 2 days. Overnight oats will achieve their best texture 6 hours – 2 days after mixing. They will keep refrigerated for up to 5-7 days, however liquid will likely separate from the oats. Stir together to incorporate the liquid back into the oat mixture.
Overnight oats are best enjoyed cold and topped with fruit, nuts, spices and nut/seed butter.
Overnight oats can be heated before eating. Heat in 30-60 second increments stirring in between.
The ratio for overnight oats is 1:1:1 yogurt, milk and oats.
Love oatmeal for breakfast? Check out some of my other delicious, healthy oatmeal recipes:
- Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- Strawberry Shortcake Overnight Oats
- Blueberry Overnight Oats
- Peach Overnight Oats
- Cherry Almond Overnight Oats
- Almond Joy Overnight Oats
- Pumpkin Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oats
- Peanut Butter Banana Baked Oatmeal
- Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal
- Blueberry Vanilla Protein Oatmeal
Could you use more make ahead breakfast ideas? Check out some of my other meal prep breakfast recipes:
- Healthy Apple Muffins
- Healthy Breakfast Sandwiches
- Ham and Veggie Baked Egg Cups
- Blueberry Protein Muffins
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Protein Muffins
- Cherry Almond Breakfast Cookies at Real Housemoms
Here’s the recipe my Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats:
Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats
Toppings & stir-in’s:
- 1/2 chopped apples
- Additional sprinkle of cinnamon and/or nutmeg
- In bowl, whisk together the milk, yogurt, sweetener and vanilla until smooth. Add in the oats, chia seeds, cinnamon and salt. Stir together well.
- Pour into a resealable container with a tight-fitting lid. (A mason jar or meal prep container tends to work well.) Refrigerate overnight or for at least 6 hours.
- When ready to eat, top with the chopped apples and an additional sprinkle of cinnamon. Feel free to add other toppings like 2 Tbsp. of walnuts, pecans or nut butter.