Relax and enjoy a rich, delicious cup of homemade Mint Hot Chocolate! It’s so easy to make using just a few simple ingredients. Once you make this mint hot chocolate recipe, you’ll never use store-bought powdered cocoa mix again!
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
In the dead of winter, there is nothing I love more than a creamy, delicious cup of hot chocolate. I especially love when it has a flavor like mint as well. For years I had bought the plain, old powdered mix from the grocery store.
And then a few years ago, I learned how to make the real deal and discovered how completely amazing home made hot chocolate can be. From that point on, I’ve never gone back to that powdered mix.
In this post I’ll show you how to make homemade hot chocolate, what you’ll need and options for adding toppings and mix-ins.
What do I need to make mint hot chocolate?
Here’s a quick-reference check list of the ingredients you’ll need to make this homemade hot chocolate recipe:
- Whole milk – you can also use 2% or skim, or your preferred plant-based milk. Whole milk will definitely give you the most creamy, velvety consistency.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips – you could also use a semi-sweet baking bar.
- Sugar – you could also use a alternative sweetener like a granular monk fruit sweetener to cut the sugar and calories.
- Salt – don’t skip this. The salt is essential in bringing out the flavor of the chocolate.
- Mint extract – this is where your mint flavor will come from.
For exact ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions, be sure to scroll down to the bottom of this post to the recipe card. Thanks!
How do I make homemade hot chocolate?
Making homemade mint hot chocolate is a pretty simple process. To a sauce pan, add in the chocolate, salt and sugar. Then pour in the milk.
Heat over medium-low heat while gradually whisking. The chocolate will begin to melt and the sugar and salt will slowly dissolve into the milk.
Once the mixture comes to a simmer, promptly remove from heat. Don’t allow the hot chocolate to boil, as the milk will burn (scorch) to the bottom of the pan, and you’ll get a really unsavory flavor.
Once you remove the hot chocolate from the heat, you can stir in the mint extract. Then, ladle into mugs and top with your favorite hot chocolate toppings.
Topping ideas for this mint hot chocolate recipe:
Here are some of our favorite toppings for this delicious mint hot chocolate:
- Whipped cream, or my delicious Homemade Cool Whip recipe
- Chocolate shavings or mini chocolate chips
- Mini or full sized marshmallows, or these homemade Mint Marshmallows by Kitchen Cents
- Mint chips or Andes Mints
- Fresh mint sprigs
What liquor can I add to mint hot chocolate?
Here are some options for a delicious spiked mint hot chocolate. For best results, use a 1 oz. shot per mug:
- Peppermint schnapps
- Creme de menth
- A creme liquor like Rum Chata or Baileys
- Chocolate liqueur like Godiva chocolate liqueur or Dorda Double Chocolate Liqueur
- Flavored vodka – some great options would be whipped cream vodka or vanilla vodka.
If you loved this mint hot chocolate recipe, check out some of my other hot chocolate and coffee recipes:
Mint Hot Chocolate
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
- In a medium saucepan, add the milk, chocolate chips, sugar and salt. Heat on medium low heat, whisking often.
- Continue whisking until the chocolate melts completely and the mixture comes to a low simmer. (Do NOT let boil, as it will burn to the bottom of the pan.) Once the liquid comes to a low simmer, promptly remove from heat.
- Add the mint extract and stir to combine.
- Ladle the hot chocolate into 4 mugs. Top with homemade Cool Whip and any additional toppings you prefer. Enjoy right away while hot.