Do you love ordering a Starbucks chai latte and want to make it at home? This simple, delicious chai tea latte recipe is easy to make and needs no special mixes. Can be made hot or as an iced chai tea latte in just minutes!
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Do you love the warm, spicy flavors of a chai tea latte? You can now make that delicious drink at home, without over-sugared store-bought mixes.
With a taste and creaminess that’s just like a Starbucks chai latte, I’ll show you how to make your own chai tea latte with simple ingredients that you likely already have on hand.
What do I need to make a chai tea latte recipe?
- Milk – you can use either dairy (full-fat, 2% or skim) or plant-based, like unsweetened almond milk, coconut milk or oat milk.
- Chai tea – there are numerous brands to choose from at the grocery store. Choose the best quality that suits your budget.
- Sweetener – I use and enjoy Whole Earth granular monk fruit sweetener, but you could also use Vanilla Cream sweet drops, or even maple syrup or honey.
- Chai spices – this is a mix of cinnamon, ginger, all spice, nutmeg and cloves.
For exact ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions be sure to scroll down to the bottom of the post for the recipe. Thanks!
How do I make a chai tea latte?
- First, start by steeping the chai tea. To steep tea, you’ll need to heat water to boiling (you can use a stovetop kettle, electric kettle or heat in the microwave.) While you’re waiting for the water to boil, add in the chai spices and unwrap the tea bags. Add both of these to a large measuring cup or tea pot.
- Pour the boiling water over the tea bags and spices, and let the tea steep – this just means, let the tea soak in the water.
What are chai spices made of?
Chai spices are a mix of cinnamon, ginger, all spice, cloves and nutmeg. Cardamom is also often included.
- While the tea and spices are steeping, heat the milk to steaming. You can do this a couple ways. First, you can use a milk frother. This is a great kitchen tool to invest in, especially if you love making coffee drinks at home. You can also heat the milk in the microwave or on the stovetop.
- Once the tea and spices have steeped (usually about 5 minutes), pour into a mug and top with frothed milk and add the sweetener. Garnish the top with a sprinkle of cinnamon, if you like.
How do I make an iced chai tea latte?
To make an iced chai tea latte, simply fill a glass with ice. Pour the steeped chai tea and spices over the ice. Then, add the frothed milk and sweetener. Stir and enjoy!
What can I serve with a chai latte?
Here are a few snack ideas that would go perfectly with a chai tea latte:
- Cream Cheese Pumpkin Bread
- Starbucks Pumpkin Scones
- Healthy Pumpkin Muffins
- Cinnamon Swirl Zucchini Bread
- Purple Ribbon Banana Bread
What is the best way to froth milk for a latte?
There are numerous tools on the market that can be used to froth milk for lattes, cappuccinos and other coffee and tea drinks. Here are a couple of my favorites:
- Nespresso Aeroccinno Milk Frother: this is a very convenient tool to have on hand if you enjoy making your own lattes, cappuccino’s and other drinks that call for frothed milk. It is very quick, gets the milk hot and frothy in just a minute.
- Blendtec Designer Series Blender: using your blender is a quick and simple way to froth milk. Note – if you’re frothing hot milk, make sure the lid is vented with a towel over the top to help steam escape. Use my discount code DELIGHTFULEMADE to get a 20% discount on any Blendtec blender purchase.
Nespresso Vertuo Coffee and Espresso Machine
Want to make both coffee AND espresso at home? This is the machine I use and LOVE. The fresh espresso is amazing and the brewed coffee tastes equally fantastic. I highly recommend!
Frequently asked questions about making a chai tea latte at home:
To make a chai latte you’ll need chai tea, chai spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, ginger and cloves), milk (dairy or plant based) and sweetener.
Chai tea is simply tea steeped with chai spices. A chai tea latte is the tea, spices and includes steamed milk.
To make a chai latte dirty, it includes adding a shot of espresso to the latte.
To make a skinny chai latte, you’ll make the latte with either skim milk or an unsweetened non-fat plant based milk like almond or oat milk.
A Starbucks chai latte includes water, chai tea concentrate, sugar, honey, ginger juice, natural flavors, vanilla and citric acid.
A Starbucks chai latte has 240 calories, 42g of sugar and 4.5g of fat for a grande/medium 16 oz. latte.
If you loved this latte recipe, check out some of our other similar posts:
Chai Tea Latte Recipe
Do you love ordering a Starbucks chai latte? You can now make it at home with this super simple chai tea latte recipe. Just a few simple ingredients are all you need!
- 2 cups water, heated to boiling
- 2-3 chai tea bags
- 1 1/2 cups milk (dairy or plant based)
- 2 tsp. granular monk fruit sweetener or liquid stevia sweetener drops
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 tsp. all spice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- To a large glass measuring cup or tea pot, add the tea bags and the chai spices (cinnamon, ginger, all spice, nutmeg and cloves.)
- Pour the boiling water over the tea and spices and let tea steep for 5 minutes.
- While the tea steeps, heat the milk in a milk frother, microwave or stovetop. Milk does not need to boil, but heat it to steaming. (60-90 seconds in the microwave is ideal.)
- To two mugs, pour the steeped tea into each glass, about 1 cup each. Top each mug with the frothed milk, about 3/4 cup to each glass, adding extra foam, if desired. Stir in the sweetener to each mug. Top with a sprinkle of cinnamon, if desired. Enjoy right away while hot.
To make iced: pour 1 cup of steeped tea over a large glass of ice. Add 3/4 cup of milk and sweetener. Top with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 108Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 98mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 6g
Speak Your Mind