The BEST Taco Tater Tot Casserole Recipe!
Celebrate taco Tuesday with something different, like this delicious Cheesy Taco Tater Tot Casserole! Much like tachos, this one skillet meal is made with just six ingredients that you likely already have in your fridge and pantry.
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Like Tachos this Taco Tater Tot Casserole is AMAZING!
As a kid, my brothers and I always had our dinnertime favorites! At the top of our list was always tacos, pizza, spaghetti and tater tot casserole. There was something about those golden, crispy tater tots that I absolutely loved – and still LOVE to this day.
Now that I’m the one in charge of making and preparing most of our weeknight dinners, I decided to combine two of those childhood favorites – tacos and tater tot casserole – into an awesome one skillet meal. This Cheesy Taco Tater Tot Casserole which is also very similar to tachos, was an instant hit with my family!
This simple weeknight dinner idea is perfect for just about any night of the week. Requiring just six ingredients (plus any of your taco topping favorites) and just one skillet, this tater tot casserole recipe is done and on the table in no time flat!
Here are the simple steps to making this Cheesy Taco Tater Tot Casserole:
Step 1: Brown Ground Beef
In a medium skillet, brown 1 pound of lean ground beef. Drain off any excess fat. You can also use ground turkey, if you desire.
Step 2: Add Taco Seasoning, Ro*Tel and Water
To the ground beef, add the taco seasoning, 1 can of Ro*Tel with diced chilies, and water. Stir together and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Simmer for about 5 minutes or just until the liquid reduces a bit and becomes saucy.
To keep your ingredients on the up-and-up I would definitely recommend making your own taco seasoning. My Simple Homemade Taco Seasoning is fantastic. The flavor is excellent and has no artificial fillers, unlike most store-bought mixes.
The ground beef mixture will still have a bit of liquid, but most of this will evaporate off during baking. The Ro*Tel with chilies adds a really great flavor to the taco meat, and also sneaks in a vegetable that your kids may or may not notice.
If you and your family enjoy Taco Tuesday, check out my recipe for the easiest 10-Minute Ground Beef Tacos!
Step 3: Add Cheese
To the top of the ground beef mixture, add a generous amount of shredded cheese. Feel free to go with your preference – I like to use a Mexican blend that I buy already shredded.
Buying shredded cheese is one of those time-savers that I’ve happy adopted. Yes, it is slightly more expensive, but saves quite a bit of time in the long run over having to shred the cheese yourself.
Step 4: Add Frozen Tater Tots
To the top of the cheese, simply toss on frozen tater tots to your casserole. I will typically use about 1/2 of a package of your standard frozen tater tot. As soon as you’ve covered the top of the cheese with tots, the tater tot casserole is ready to go into the oven. Bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until tater tots are golden brown.
Step 5: Add your favorite taco toppings
Feel free to top your tater tot casserole with all of your favorite taco toppings, like sour cream, diced tomatoes, cilantro, lettuce and olives.
If you wanna go the spicy route, sprinkle on some diced jalapenos and some hot sauce as well. Just like tachos, this casserole is the perfect canvas for some delicious Loaded Guacamole or Classic Pico de Gallo, too!
Here’s a quick grocery list of all the ingredients you’ll need for this awesome taco tater tot casserole recipe:
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- Taco seasoning – try my homemade taco seasoning! No fake fillers and tastes amazing!
- 1 can Ro*Tel with chilies (10 oz.)
- frozen Tater Tots, (you’ll use about 1/2 – 2/3’s of a package)
- shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Preferred Toppings of your choosing: fresh tomatoes, cilantro, lettuce, sour cream, or olives
(For exact ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions please scroll down to the recipe at the bottom of this post.)
If you love this easy Taco Tater Tot Casserole, be sure to check out some of my other Tex-Mex recipes:
- Beef Enchilada Casserole
- Healthy Chili Lime Shrimp Tacos
- Baked Chicken Tacos
- Easy Baked Mini Tacos
- Ground Beef Enchiladas
- Taco Mac & Cheese
- Sour Cream Enchiladas
- Loaded Steak Nachos
- How to Build the Ultimate Taco Bar
Here’s the wonderfully easy recipe for this Cheesy Taco Tater Tot Casserole:
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 3 Tbsp. taco seasoning (or 1 envelope)
- 1 (10 oz.) can, Ro*Tel with diced chilies
- 1/4 c. water
- 3-4 c. frozen tater tots (about 1/2 - 2/3 package)
- 1 c. shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground beef. Drain off any excess fat. To the browned ground beef, add the taco seasoning, Ro*Tel and water. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Simmer for about 5 minutes, and remove from heat.
- Even sprinkle on the shredded cheese over the top of the ground beef mixture. To the top of the cheese, add the frozen tater tots. Bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until tater tots are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes before serving. Top with your favorite taco toppings, like sour cream, tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, and cilantro. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 6 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 66Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 341mgCarbohydrates: 3gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g