Does your family love a taco casserole recipe? This recipe for easy taco casserole is not only healthy, it comes together quickly and in one skillet. This healthy taco casserole is a fantastic 20 minute dinner idea which makes it great for a busy weeknight and also great for meal prepping for the week!
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
If you’re always on the hunt for a quick and healthy weeknight dinner idea, this easy taco casserole needs to go on your dinner list! Made with just 7 simple ingredients, this healthy taco casserole recipe can be made all in one skillet on the stove top in under 20 minutes.
This healthy taco casserole recipe is made with some healthy substitutes, like cauliflower rice and can be made with either lean ground beef or ground turkey. Fantastic topped with your favorite taco toppings like avocados, salsa, cheese and cilantro.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this healthy easy taco casserole:
- Ground beef or ground turkey
- Taco seasoning – I have a great homemade taco seasoning that I highly recommend!
- 1 can of Rotel
- 1 can of Black Beans
- 1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen riced cauliflower
- Shredded cheese
- Hot sauce (optional)
How do I make this taco casserole recipe?
- Start by browning your ground beef or turkey. Drain off any excess grease that may render.
- Add in the can of Rotel tomatoes (with the liquid) and the taco seasoning. Heat over medium heat and stir together to combine. Bring to a low simmer.
- While this ground beef mixture comes to a simmer, defrost your frozen cauliflower rice in the microwave. Defrost for 2-3 minutes.
- Once all of the liquid has simmered off (this usually takes just a few minutes), add the package of defrosted cauliflower rice. Also, add in the black beans that have been drained and rinsed. If you would prefer a little extra spice, add in 1 tablespoon of your preferred hot sauce.
- Once you’ve mixed in the cauliflower rice and black beans, heat over medium low for 2-3 minutes until the mixture begins to steam and simmer slightly.
- Top the taco casserole with shredded cheese and add a lid to the pan. Keep temperature on medium low for a few more minutes until the cheese melts.
- Boom! Dinner is done and ready to serve!
Could you use some other quick dinner options? Check these out:
- Rotisserie Chicken Tacos
- Healthy Shrimp Tacos
- Taco Tater Tot Casserole
- Chicken Taco Salad
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Ground Beef Enchiladas
- Beef Enchilada Casserole
- Taco Mac and Cheese
What goes with taco casserole?
Here are some ideas and recipes that go great served with or on top of taco casserole:
- Classic Pico de Gallo Salsa
- Loaded Guacamole
- Southwestern Corn Salsa – great as a topping or side!
- Homemade Taco Sauce Recipe
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Cucumber Tomato and Avocado Salad
FAQ’s about making taco casserole:
Taco casserole includes ground beef or turkey, taco seasoning, black beans, tomatoes or salsa, rice and cheese. Some recipes also include corn and are often topped with tortilla chips.
To make healthy taco casserole, substitute the white rice for cauliflower rice, add in black or pinto beans for extra protein and fiber, add in extra tomatoes or salsa for fiber and flavor, and use less cheese as a topping. Also, omit the tortilla chips as a topping.
Healthy taco casserole is a great meal prep option. Make the recipe as directed. Let the casserole cool to room temperature, then add a 1 1/2 cup serving to meal prep containers. Add extra salsa, avocados, tomatoes or other toco toppings. Seal with lid and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Could you use more meal prep ideas and inspiration? Check out some of my meal prep resources to help make healthy eating easier:
- Healthy Meal Prep Ideas for the Week
- Breakfast Meal Prep
- Best Meal Prep Containers
- 15 Things I Buy at Costco for Healthy Meals and Snacks
Ready to finally get organized with weekly meal prep?
Plan dinners, meal prep recipes and organize ingredients all with this simple, organized 50-Page Meal Prep Planner Magnetic Tear Pad.
Designed specifically for the entire family to use, this meal planner is the key to staying organized with healthy eating throughout your entire week!
Love this easy taco casserole recipe? Here are some other similar recipes that you may enjoy:
Healthy Easy Taco Casserole
Does your family love a good taco casserole recipe? This healthy easy taco casserole has just 7 ingredients and is made in one skillet. Perfect if your looking for a quick weeknight dinner idea or a healthy meal prep recipe?
- 1 lb. lean ground beef or turkey
- 2 tbsp. taco seasoning
- 1 (10 oz.) can, Rotel tomatoes, with the liquid
- 1 (15.5 oz.) can, black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 oz.) pkg., frozen riced cauliflower
- 1 Tbsp. hot sauce (optional)
- 1 c. shredded cheese, cheddar or Mexican blend
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef or turkey over medium high heat. Drain off any excess grease. To the browned meat, add the Rotel (with the liquid) and the taco seasoning. Check out my recipe for homemade taco seasoning.
- Heat meat, seasoning and tomatoes over medium heat until it comes to a simmer, approximately 2-3 minutes. While meat is heating, defrost the cauliflower rice in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, or according to package directions.
- To the meat mixture in skillet, add the defrosted cauliflower rice, rinsed black beans and optional hot sauce. Stir together and continue to heat over medium heat for 2-3 more minutes.
- To the top of the casserole, sprinkle on the shredded cheese. Turn off the heat and add a lid to the casserole. The cheese will melt within a couple minutes.
- Serve with your favorite taco toppings.
Leftovers will keep in an airtight container for up to 7 days, refrigerated.
Meal Prep Instructions: prepare recipe as directed. Add 1 1/2 cups (serving size) to a meal prep container. Let the casserole cool to room temperature. Seal with lid and refrigerate until ready to eat.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 348Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 694mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 3gSugar: 1gProtein: 35g
For a more precise nutritional calculation, use an app like MyFitnessPal to calculate with the exact ingredients you are using.
Speak Your Mind