Need an easy pico recipe? This fresh, delicious Pico de Gallo Salsa is perfect for burritos, nachos, enchiladas, tacos, or anytime you want to enjoy chips and salsa! Made with just 7 pico de gallo ingredients, this salsa recipe is way better than anything store-bought.
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Is Tex-Mex food a part of your cooking repertoire? If so, then fresh, pico de gallo is always a must. Many people buy the pre-packaged stuff at the grocery store, but making your own is very simple and tastes much better.
Classic Pico de Gallo Salsa is the perfect topping for just about any and every Tex-Mex meal. In this post I’ll show you how to make this easy pico recipe and guide you on the pico de gall ingredients you’ll need.
What pico de gallo ingredients do I need?
Making this salsa super simple, and comes together easily. Here’s a quick-reference check list of the ingredients you’ll need:
- Tomatoes – most varieties work well, I recommend Beef steak, tomatoes on the vine, or anything you could get garden-fresh or from your local farmers market.
- Red onion – this will provide a great purple color for your salsa, along with a moderate to mild flavor. You could also use white onion.
- Jalapeño – if you would prefer a mild salsa, omit the jalapeño to remove the heat.
- Fresh cilantro – you either love it or hate it! Fresh cilantro is a core ingredient in pico de gallo salsa, but some swear that it has a “soapy” flavor. You are welcome to leave it out.
- Lime juice – this will provide a fresh, citrus flavor to the salsa
- Vinegar – will provide acid and help preserve the salsa.
- Salt – for flavor
For exact ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions be sure to reference the recipe card at the bottom of this post. Thanks!
How do I make pico de gallo salsa?
- Making salsa is simply a matter of chopping ingredients and mixing them together. Begin, by dicing your tomatoes, cilantro, red onion and jalapeño. Add all of these chopped ingredients to a mixing bowl.
- Dress the salsa by squeezing the fresh lime juice and adding the fresh lime juice over the top of the pico de gallo ingredients. Add in the salt as well. Stir together to combine.
- Enjoy the salsa with your favorite tortilla chips or add to tacos, nachos, burritos, enchiladas and fajitas.
FAQ’s about making pico de gallo salsa:
There is no major difference between salsa and pico de gallo. Pico de gallo is a type of salsa. Pico is typically make from freshly chopped ingredients and is not cooked or preserved like store-bought jarred salsa.
Yes, pico de gallo is very healthy. Because it’s composed almost entirely of fresh vegetables, it is a very healthy dip or condiment.
Pico de gallo ingredients include tomatoes, onion (red or white), fresh cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice, vinegar and a small amount of salt.
Yes, pico de gallo is simply a type of salsa.
You could substitute fresh pico de gallo with fresh chopped tomatoes, canned diced tomatoes, Rotel (canned diced tomatoes and chilies), or store-bought jarred salsa.
Looking for some other delicious Tex-Mex Toppings & Seasonings? Check out these other easy recipes:
- Black Bean Corn Salsa
- Tropical Pineapple Mango Salsa
- Red Enchilada Sauce Recipe
- Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Loaded Guacamole
- Homemade Taco Sauce Recipe
- Cream Cheese Corn Dip
What other ways can I use homemade pico de gallo?
- Add into scrambled eggs or an omelet – pico is a great, healthy way to add flavor and volume to eggs without adding many calories, carbs or fat.
- Top chicken or fish – if you’re looking to enjoy lean sources of protein like chicken breast, salmon, codd or shrimp, try topping with pico to enhance the flavor without adding many calories.
- Stir into soups and chili – pico is a great way to enhance the flavor of soups, like my White Chicken Chili, Lime Chicken Chili and my Loaded Crock Pot Chili.
Looking for additional salsa inspiration? Check out the step-by-step photo instructions I created on How To Make Salsa at Food.com
Looking for some other Tex Mex Recipes to enjoy this salsa with? Here are some of my favorites:
- Pollo Asado Recipe
- Ground Beef Enchiladas
- Shrimp Tacos
- Baked Chicken Tacos
- Ground Beef Tacos
- Salmon Tacos
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas
- Sour Cream Enchiladas
- Shredded Chicken Enchiladas
- Taco Mac and Cheese
Pico de Gallo Salsa
Looking for an easy pico recipe? This fresh, delicious Pico de Gallo Salsa needs just 7 ingredients. Healthy, flavorful and great with chips or topping to your favorite Tex-Mex dishes.
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp. jalapeno, diced (1 medium jalapeno)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (juice of 1 large lime)
- 2 Tbsp. white vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- To a mixing bowl, add the diced tomatoes, onion, jalepeno, and cilantro. Top with the lime juice, vinegar and salt. Stir together to combine.
- Enjoy right away while fresh.
Storage: store any leftovers in an airtight container. Will keep for 5-7 days refrigerated.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 11Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 51mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g
Speak Your Mind