If you love a quick and simple dinner idea, this Chicken Broccoli Potato Casserole recipe is for you! Made with simple ingredients you can pick up on your way home from work, this chicken broccoli potato bake can be mixed together in the time it takes the oven to preheat. Absolutely delicious, too!
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Are you always on the hunt for a simple yet satisfying dinner idea that can be easily made on a weeknight? This chicken casserole recipe checks all those boxes.
Made with ingredients like frozen O’brien potatoes you can pick up in the freezer section and pre-cooked chicken, this recipe comes together easily. In the time it takes to preheat the oven, this casserole can be quickly mixed and ready to bake.
What do I need to make chicken broccoli potato casserole?
- Frozen O’brien potatoes – these can be found in the freezer section with the rest of the frozen potatoes. If the O’brien potatoes are unavailable, you can substitute hash brown potatoes.
- Precooked chicken – there are several options for precooked chicken. If you want to go the easy route, I like Tyson’s Oven Roasted Diced Chicken breasts, that are also found in the freezer section. This is a big time saver, but you can also roast and dice your own chicken or use any other diced or pulled chicken. Another good option is the Costco Pulled Chicken Breast Meat. (Both chicken options are pictured below.)
- Sour Cream – fee free to use regular or low fat sour cream.
- Cream of Chicken Soup – this can be found with the other canned soups. Campbell’s or store-brand are both good options.
- Shredded cheddar cheese – I like to buy pre-shredded cheese to save myself some prep work, however, you can certainly shred your own cheese. You can also substitute Mexican blend or other cheddar blends.
- Garlic Salt and Ground Pepper – these are ideal for adding flavor to your casserole.
- Broccoli – I used fresh broccoli florets. Two medium crowns trimmed to florets is ideal for this recipe. You can also purchase precut broccoli or frozen florets.
- (Optional) Green Onions – green onions will add some extra flavor if you are using plain hash browns. Because the O’Brien potatoes already have peppers and onions, I opted to not use the extra onions.
For exact ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions be sure to scroll down to the bottom of the post for the recipe. Thanks!
Here are the two chicken options that are great for this recipe. The hand pulled rotisserie chicken breast meat is amazing. I use it in my rotisserie chicken tacos and soups like my Chicken Enchilada Soup and Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup recipes.
The Tyson’s Oven Roasted Diced Chicken Breast is a great frozen option that can be found in many grocery stores. I found this chicken at Target.
How do I make chicken broccoli potato casserole?
To make this chicken casserole, start by spraying a 9 x 13″ pan or baking dish with non-stick spray. Pour in the frozen O’brien potatoes. Add the diced chicken to the potatoes. Neither the potatoes or the chicken have to be thawed – both can still be frozen.
Mix together the sour cream, cream of chicken soup, pepper and garlic salt. Pour over the top of the potatoes and chicken and stir together to coat.
Add in 1 cup of the shredded cheese and mix into the potatoes, chicken and sauce.
Spread the mixture evenly in the pan. Top with the broccoli florets. Add the remaining shredded cheese to the top of the casserole.
Frequently asked questions about making chicken casserole:
You can use frozen chicken, pulled or shredded chicken or chicken that you have roasted at home. Any precooked chicken option is great for making chicken casserole.
Fresh vegetables like broccoli or carrots are great in chicken and potato casserole. You can also use frozen vegetables like peas and carrots, crinkle cut carrots, broccoli, cauliflower or green beans.
Chicken casserole will need 45-50 minutes to bake at 375 degrees.
For best results, a chicken casserole will bake at 375 degrees for 45-50 minutes.
A baking dish or 9 x 13″ pan is ideal for making chicken casserole. You’ll want to a 2-3″ side to contain the ingredients of the casserole. A sheet pan is not ideal for making a casserole.
Should I cover chicken casserole when baking?
It takes about 45-50 minutes for this casserole to bake. We recommend covering the casserole dish with foil to prevent the cheese from over-browning. About 15 minutes before the casserole is done, the foil can be removed so the cheese can brown.
What cheese is best for chicken broccoli potato bake?
We recommend a mild cheddar cheese, as this melts the best without being overly sharp. Other good options are cheddar blends, Mexican blend cheese or traditional sharp cheddar, if that is what you prefer.
What can I serve with chicken casserole?
Chicken casserole is great served with a fresh side salad or additional vegetables. Here are some of our favorite side dish recipes:
- Italian Chopped Salad
- Roasted Carrot Salad with Apples and Pistachios
- Blueberry Spring Mix Salad
- Roasted Rainbow Carrots
- Roasted Butternut Squash Medley
- Kale Apple Salad
Chicken Broccoli Potato Casserole
- 28 oz. O Brien Potatoes, frozen
- 2 cups chicken, precooked (frozen or shredded rotisserie chicken)
- 16 oz. sour cream (1 – 16 oz. container)
- 10.5 oz. cream of chicken soup, can
- 8 oz. shredded mild cheddar cheese (1 package, divided)
- 3 cups broccoli florets rinsed and trimmed
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray a 9 x 13" baking dish or pan with non-stick spray.
- To the pan, pour in the full package of O'Brien potatoes. Add in the chicken. Both potatoes and chicken don't need to be defrosted.
- In a bowl, combine the sour cream, cream of chicken soup, garlic salt and pepper. Stir together. Pour over the chicken and potatoes. Add in 1 cup of the shredded cheese, reserving the remainder for topping the casserole. Stir all of the ingredients together in the pan so everything is well coated and combined. Evenly spread the mixture into the pan.
- Top the casserole with the broccoli florets and the remaining shredded cheese. Cover the casserole with a sheet of aluminum foil.
- Bake the casserole for 30 minutes (with the foil on). Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes to allow the cheese to brown slightly. (Total bake time is 45 minutes.)
- Remove from oven and let the casserole cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.