Garlic Herb Roast Beef Recipe: The Ultimate Christmas Beef Roast!
This Garlic Herb Roast Beef is fancy enough for your Christmas dinner, and simple enough for a Sunday supper. Oven roasted with a garlic herb rub, and topped with an amazing red wine sauce, this roast beef recipe is one you’ll make all year long!
As soon as the weather gets colder, roast beef quickly becomes a dinner time favorite at our house. This hearty, comfort food make for an amazing Sunday dinner. While at my latest trip to ALDI, I discovered their Black Angus USDA Choice Beef. I quickly grabbed a Bottom Round Roast and decided that we were having roast beef for dinner. I also grabbed all the ingredients needed to make a simple, yet incredibly delicious garlic and herb rub for the roast beef.
The results of this Garlic & Herb Roast Beef were nothing short of spectacular. I paired the roast beef with a red wine sauce that I made from the pan drippings and this Crimson Roots Dark Red Blend wine. This wine won a silver medal in the World Wine Championship Awards from the Beverage Tasting Institute with 87 points! This rich, delicious red wine sauce took this beef roast from good to spectacular. I made the executive decision that this roast beef recipe was being elevated to our Christmas dinner menu!
Here’s how this gorgeous Garlic and Herb Roast Beef with Red Wine Sauce comes together.
Fill your cart with everything you need at ALDI
While at ALDI, I made sure to stock my cart with all the essentials to make this fantastic roast beef recipe. ALDI is famous for its high-quality groceries and everyday low prices – perfect for stocking up on everyday essentials, and getting everything you need on your holiday shopping list! Using these simple spices and herbs from ALDI, you’ll be able to add some amazing flavor and deliciousness to this roast beef recipe, making it a fantastic dinner option for your holiday meal. Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this Garlic & Herb Roast Beef:
- 1 (2-3 lb.) Black Angus USDA Choice Beef Bottom Round Roast
- Minced Garlic
- Sea Salt (Grinder)
- Parsley Flakes
- Organic Thyme
- Black Peppercorn (Grinder)
- Specially Selected Sicilian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Baker’s Corner Corn Starch
- Chef’s Cupboard Beef Broth
- Crimson Roots Dark Red Blend
(For exact ingredient amounts, be sure to reference the full recipe and directions below.)
Step 1: Preheat Oven and Prep Skillet
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. I chose a cast-iron skillet to roast the meat, as it will need to go from the oven, and then to the stove top to make the red wine sauce. Any medium sized oven-safe skillet will work well. To the skillet, add about 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
Step 2: Make the Garlic Herb Rub
In a small bowl, combine the garlic, salt, parsley, thyme, rosemary, pepper and the olive oil. Simply stir together to combine. If you would like more of a paste-consistency for the rub, place the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until all ingredients come together as a paste. I actually preferred more of a chunky-herb consistency, as it flavors the beef beautifully while it roasts in the oven.
Step 3: Cover the Beef Roast with the Garlic Herb Rub
Place the beef roast directly into the oiled skillet. Then, using your hands, cover the beef roast with the garlic and herb rub, making sure to get the bottom and sides. Once the rub is on the beef, it’s ready to go into the oven to roast.
Step 4: Roast the Beef
Place the garlic and herb roast beef into a 375 degree F oven for 40-45 minutes. For a bottom round roast, it will typically need to cook for about 20 minutes per pound to render an internal temperature of 140 degrees. This roast was 2 pounds, and I cooked it for approximately 42 minutes. When I took it out of the oven, it was right at 140 degrees when I tested it with a meat thermometer.
Once I sliced into this mouth-watering roast beef, I was assured the cook time was perfect, as it rendered a perfectly medium sear.
Step 5: Cover the Meat with Foil and Make the Red Wine Sauce
Once the meat comes out of the oven, transfer it to a cutting board and cover with foil to keep warm.
Next, with all of the pan drippings, you’ll make the wonderful red wine sauce that goes with this delicious roast beef. Begin by placing the skillet on the stove top over medium heat. In a small bowl, make a slurry, by combining water and cornstarch. Add the slurry to the drippings, along with the beef broth and the Crimson Roots Dark Red Blend wine. Begin whisking together, scraping up all the brown bits from the bottom of the skillet.
Bring the sauce to a low boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low, whisking often. Simmer for 7-10 minutes, as the sauce thickens.
Step 6: Slice and Serve
While the red wine sauce cooks, thinly slice the roast beef, then covering it again with the foil to keep warm. When the red wine sauce is ready, you can place the sliced beef right back into the pan with the sauce. You can also place the sliced beef onto a serving platter, and serve the sauce on the side or over the top. Either way you have it, this roast beef recipe is absolutely delicious!
This roast beef recipe is perfect for serving on Christmas day with it’s beautiful garlic and herb crust and red wine sauce. But because it’s so simple to make, this is also a great dish to make for a weekend dinner or any time you’re in the mood for meat!
Looking for some sides to go with this delicious roast beef recipe? Check these out:
Here’s the simple, delicious recipe for this Garlic and Herb Roast Beef:
- 1 (2-3 lb.) Black Angus USDA Choice Beef Bottom Round Roast
Garlic Herb Rub:
- 1 Tbsp. Stonemill Minced Garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp. Stonemill Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. Stonemill Parsley Flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp. SimplyNature Organic Thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp. Stonemill Rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. Stonemill Black Pepper
- 1/4 c. + 2 Tbsp. Specially Selected Sicilian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Red Wine Sauce:
- 1/2 c. water
- 2 Tbsp. Baker's Corner Corn Starch
- Pan Drippings
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can, Chef's Cupboard Beef Broth
- 3/4 c. Crimson Roots Dark Red Blend
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic, salt, parsley, thyme, rosemary, pepper and olive oil. Stir together to combine.
- In a medium oven-safe skillet, drizzle the 2 Tbsp. of olive oil into the bottom of the skillet. Place the beef roast in the skillet, and cover all sides with the garlic herb rub. Roast in the oven for 40-45 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 140 degrees (for medium doneness.)
- Once the roast comes out of the oven, transfer to a cutting board, and cover with foil.
- Transfer the skillet to the stovetop, and heat over medium heat. In a small bowl, whisk together the water and corn starch to make a slurry. To the pan dripping, add the slurry, along with the beef broth, and red wine. Whisk all ingredients together, scraping off the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Continue to whisk until the liquid comes to a low boil, then reduce heat to medium low, simmering for 7-10 minutes until thickened.
- While sauce is cooking, slice the beef roast. Once sauce is done, you can add the sliced roast beef back to the pan with the sauce, or transfer to a serving platter, and serve the red wine sauce separately.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 663Total Fat: 59gSaturated Fat: 8gSodium: 4878mgCarbohydrates: 16gProtein: 4g