If you love turkey, but don’t want to roast an entire bird, this Slow Cooker Turkey Breast recipe is for you! Coated with an incredible turkey breast seasoning, and seared before cooking, this slow cooker boneless turkey breast is fantastic for a small holiday dinner.
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Turkey breasts are a fantastic solution for a holiday meal when you don’t want to make an entire turkey. It’s a great option for a small group of people, but still has that special flavor that is great for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.
Easily made in your crock pot or slow cooker, this slow cooker turkey breast recipe is made with a delicious turkey breast seasoning that will have your guests raving! Cooked to ensure it is moist and juicy, this turkey breast recipe will be the highlight of your holiday.
What do I need to make a slow cooker turkey breast?
Here’s a quick reference check list of the ingredients and tools you’ll need to make this turkey breast recipe:
- Boneless turkey breast – most supermarkets sell bone-in or boneless turkey breasts, especially during the holidays. You can also use turkey tenderloins in this recipe.
- Olive oil – you’ll need a few tablespoons of olive oil for searing the outside of the turkey breast.
- Chicken stock – for slow cooking
- Apple cider – you can also use apple juice if you cannot find cider.
For the turkey breast seasoning:
- Kosher salt
- Ground pepper
- Ground sage
- Onion powder
- Orange zest – the flavor of the orange zest takes this recipe from good to incredible!
Tools to use:
- Slow Cooker – I absolutely love my Cuisinart 3-in-1 Slow Cooker. In addition to slow cooking, it also has a browning setting, which is very useful. For this recipe I recommend browning/searing the outside of the turkey breast.
For exact ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions be sure to scroll down to the bottom of this post to the recipe card. Thanks!
How should I season a turkey breast?
Before placing the turkey in the slow cooker, you’ll want to season all sides of the breast meat. This turkey breast seasoning includes kosher salt, paprika, pepper, sage, onion powder, all spice and orange zest.
This is very similar to my dry brine turkey recipe, which is fantastic for seasoning an entire turkey.
How do I keep a turkey breast moist in a slow cooker?
My number one tip for keeping a turkey breast moist when cooking in a slow cooker is to sear the outside of the breast before slow cooking. This will help create a savory outer crust and keep the internal meat moist and juicy.
I also recommend cooking the turkey on low, and for no more than 5 hours. Because turkey breast meat has very little fat, cooking it on high will quickly overcook the meat and dry it out.
Roasting the turkey breast with chicken stock and apple cider will also provide extra moisture to keep the meat moist and juicy.
Love cooking with a slow cooker? Check out some of my other popular slow cooker recipes:
- Slow Cooker Pulled Beef
- Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef
- Crock Pot Mexican Shredded Chicken
- Slow Cooker Sirloin Beef Stew
- Loaded Crock Pot Chili
- Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Tips for Slicing and Serving the Turkey Breast
Once the turkey is done, feel free to slice and serve right away. Should you need to keep the meat warm before guests arrive or while everyone is still getting settled, place the meat back into the slow cooker with the juices.
This will keep the meat warm, and prevent it from drying out.
Looking make the best turkey ever? Try my Apple Cider Turkey Brine and check out my 3 Tips for How to Cook A Moist Turkey.
FAQ’s for cooking a slow cooker boneless turkey breast:
The turkey breast will be done once it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. I have the Thermapen MK4 Instant Read Digital Meat Thermometer, which is really handy for everything from turkey, to grilling steaks or roasting pork.
A boneless turkey breast will need to cook for 4-5 hours on low. To check for doneness of meat use a digital meat thermometer. Once internal temperature reaches 165 degrees it is done cooking.
For best results, cook a turkey breast on low heat in a slow cooker. Because a turkey breast has very little fat, it can quickly dry out when cooked on high heat. Cooking on low will ensure moist and juicy meat.
Yes, you can definitely cook a Butterball turkey breast in a crock pot or slow cooker. Cook on low for 4-5 hours, or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
Yes, you can certainly cook turkey tenderloin in a slow cooker. Because turkey tenderloins are smaller and have little fat, I recommend cooking on low for 3-4 hours or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
What can I serve with turkey breast?
- Ruth Chris Sweet Potato Casserole
- Sauteed Carrots
- Healthy Green Bean Casserole
- Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
- Everything Thanksgiving Stuffing
- Parmesan Mashed Potatoes
- Thanksgiving Turkey Casserole
- Roasted Butternut Squash Medley
- Cranberry Citrus Salad with Pecans
- Homemade Cranberry Sauce with Apricots and Orange
- Harvest Salad with Butternut Squash
- Roasted Rainbow Carrots
Looking for more Thanksgiving recipes? Check out my post that has all of my Best Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes. It includes everything from turkey, sides, desserts, drinks and even ideas on what to bring to a Thanksgiving or Friendsgiving when you are a guest.
Here’s the easy recipe for my slow cooker boneless turkey breast:
Slow Cooker Turkey Breast
Looking for an easy slow cooker turkey breast recipe? This delicious slow cooker boneless turkey breast is made with an incredible turkey breast seasoning and perfect for small holiday dinner when you don't want to make an entire turkey.
- 3 lb. boneless turkey breast
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 c. chicken stock
- 1 c. apple cider
Turkey breast seasoning:
- 1 Tbsp. orange zest (zest from 1/2 orange)
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp. ground sage
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- In a small bowl, combine the turkey breast seasoning: orange zest, paprika, pepper, sage, onion powder and allspice. Stir together. Sprinkle the seasoning evenly over the entire turkey breast. Use your hands to pat the seasoning onto the turkey breast.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil. Sear each side of the turkey breast for about 1 minute per side. (Note: if you have a slow cooker with a browning setting, you can do this directly in the slow cooker.)
- Place the seared turkey breast in the slow cooker. Add in the chicken stock and apple cider. Cook the turkey breast on low for 4-5 hours or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Once done cooking, transfer the turkey breast to a cutting board and slice. Serve right away or if you're waiting for guests, place the sliced turkey back into the slow cooker, in the liquid on warm setting to keep the sliced turkey juicy and warm.
Storage: store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 424Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 184mgSodium: 760mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0gSugar: 5gProtein: 70g
Speak Your Mind