If you’re wondering how to make BBQ sauce from scratch, you’ve come to the right place! My super-simple Homemade Honey BBQ Sauce Recipe tastes absolutely incredible and the perfect way to make your own homemade BBQ sauce from scratch. Fantastic on chicken and pork chops!
This post may contain affiliate links. Delightful E Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Not overly sweet, and with a hint of smokiness, this honey bbq sauce recipe might be the best bbq sauce recipe I’ve ever made! Made with real, simple ingredients this honey barbecue sauce is WAYYYYYY better than anything that comes in a bottle off the grocery store shelf. The taste is amazing and pairs wonderfully with chicken and pork.
Like this recipe? Be sure to pin it to your Grilling board on Pinterest!
Follow DelightfulEMade on Pinterest for some of the very best Grilling ideas!
Barbecue sauce is one of those things I’m kinda picky about. I don’t think I’m alone in this, either. There are as many BBQ sauce types, and flavor combinations that there are cuts of meat to pair them with.
I like my barbecue sauce, slightly sweet (but not overly syrupy), tangy and with a hint of smoke. I’ve made numerous batches of sauce, some great – like my Honey Bourbon BBQ Sauce, and others not so great. This homemade honey bbq sauce recipe is my new favorite, and I think it will be yours, too!
Here’s how to make bbq sauce from scratch:
Step 1: Add all the ingredients to a sauce pan and simmer
Here’s the ingredients you’ll need for this honey BBQ sauce recipe:
- 1 (8 oz.) can good quality tomato sauce (In a pinch, you can also substitute ketchup, but just know that most off-the-shelf ketchup contain high-fructose corn syrup.)
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Good quality black-strap molassas
- Good quality honey (I like to buy local, organic, raw honey, however use the best you can afford and what you have access to)
- Soy Sauce
- Yellow Mustart
- Liquid Smoke
- Salt and Pepper
Whisk all of the ingredients together, and bring to a low-boil over medium-high heat. Once it is boiling, reduce the heat to low, and keep it on a low simmer.
Step 2: Simmer the sauce
Once the sauce is at a low simmer, keep it there for approximately 35-40 minutes. As you first add the ingredients to the sauce pan, you’ll notice that the consistency is rather thin. As the sauce continues to simmer, the sauce will reduce down, become slightly thicker, and noticeably darker in color.
Step 3: Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature
Once the sauce is done simmering, and has reduced down, let it cool to room temperature. If you are using the sauce right away, divide the sauce.
Place a portion of sauce (maybe a 1/2 cup) in a bowl/container that can be brushed on to meat that you are cooking, as to not contaminate the rest of the sauce. The remainder of the sauce will then be ready to serve at the table, or can be refrigerated for later use.
Step 4: Add to Grilled Chicken, Pork or Burgers
If you love a great bbq chicken recipe, then this honey barbecue sauce recipe is right up your alley! Fantastic on grilled chicken – I personally love grilling leg/thigh quarters as this meat stays wonderfully tender, flavorful and juicy on the grill. I know many of you love a good bbq chicken breast recipe, and this sauce is perfect for boneless, skinless chicken breasts as well.
If you love a great grilled chicken recipe, be sure to check out my Chipotle BBQ Grilled Chicken over at Miss Information Blog.
If you loved this delicious Honey BBQ Sauce Recipe, then be sure to check out some of my other recipes from the grill:
- BBQ Chicken Skewers
- Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce
- Honey Bourbon BBQ Sauce
- Smokey Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
- Honey Bourbon BBQ Pork Chops
- Aloha Burger
- Apple Cider Glazed Pork Chops
- Sweet & Spicy Chipotle BBQ Ribs
- BBQ Bacon Burgers
- Slow Cooker Shredded BBQ Chicken
- BBQ Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
- Grilled Chicken Leg Quarters
Here’s the recipe for my delicious homemade Honey BBQ Sauce Recipe:
- 1 (8 oz.) can, Tomato Sauce (good quality)
- 1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/4 c. honey (good quality - if you can, use raw, organic)
- 2 Tbsp. black-strap molasses
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. liquid smoke
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- To a medium sauce pan, add all of the ingredients. Whisk together well.
- Heat over medium-high heat until mixture comes to a low boil.
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer sauce for 35-40 minutes. Sauce will reduce down and thicken, and become darker in color.
- Let cool to room temperature before brushing on to meat. Place any unused (uncontaminated) sauce in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
You can substitute ketchup for the tomato sauce, however, note that ketchup contains high-fructose corn syrup.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 2 Tbsp.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 78Sodium: 1649mgCarbohydrates: 18gSugar: 17gProtein: 1g